Battery speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorvic

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2011
Indianapolis
Hello everyone,

As far as I am aware our e-cig batteries are lithium-ion batteries. Now I'm not an expert on this, but the following is to the best of my knowledge.

Lithium-ion batteries share some common traits. Extreme temperatures are bad for the batteries (Heat more than cold). Cold will leech the charge from batteries while heat can damage the battery.

Draining the battery all of the way and then doing a full recharge also stresses the battery cells and will shorten the life of your battery. Frequent "topping off" charges are preferred for battery health. Some battery circuitry will prevent a full discharge to help save battery life.

Calibration about once a month tends to help lithium-ion batteries. This is performed by fulling draining the battery and then fully charging it.

Batteries should be stored at around half charge. Too low of a charge can make the battery unusable over time and storing it for a period fully charged will increase stress on the cells and hurt the battery.

Ok, so how much of this applies to our e-cigs and how much will actually make a noticeable difference? I dont know how much of the battery charge is left when the battery stops vapeing. I could test, and probably should. If it is too low then the life of our batteries would probably be prolonged by throwing them on the charger when we are around one instead of just waiting for it to die. This shouldnt be too hard to test, I just have to wait until I can afford to get a set of test batteries.

I'm not sure if calibration would really have much of an effect on these batteries. I feel that this is a good question and one that we could probably test. Some day when I get extra money to get a set of batteries I can try running some test, if no one has an answer.

Regarding heat, I'm not sure the temperature that using some of the carts, such as the wow carts, actually is. I could always measure this and see if chain vaping this would expose the battery to enough heat to damage it. If so, chain-vapeing on a WoW cart might hurt battery life.

If anyone has any input or anything to add please do. I am sure some of you have played with this more than I.

Of course all of this might not really make much of a feasible difference. The biggest tips would be to keep your battery out of heat and cycle through your battery collection, or at least store them around half charge.

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
Jorvic....Wader a while back said that it is better for the batteries to charge them before that last hit and blinking light. So yes there is some truth to that point. As for the heat....it is more referring to extreme heat something like keeping them in your car on a hot summer day....basically ANY battery can be damaged by that kind of heat. The heat that the batts are exposed to via the cartos is not hot enough to do any damage. The wow carts do however drain the battery faster than the cool carts. Happy vaping hon and keep those batts happy:p

Morandir835

Idiot Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
Outside DC
Well Jorvic sir I've done multiple voltage tests on the batts, can tell you that the the voltage drops pretty low near the end of it's life on the standard ones, on the kd's/stealth they die around 3.7v... As for battery maintainence, I store mine fully charged, so far no ill effects, though it's rare they get to flashing point when I go to recharge them (once you've vaped long enough you'll notice the drop before they die)... I've been rerunning voltage tests on a group of batts every 25 charges to see the long term effects of storing at full charge... Once those batts die I'll post them... Can tell you so far haven't seen any major differences one way or the other....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread