battery charger cord failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephpd

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2011
Delaware
I think some of the problem here is people are using things they don't know safely how to use. (the batteries) I feel sorry for the OP and I'd hate to be in that situation. Veterans on this forum continue to recommend "huge" PVs to newbies and people take that to heart. Some don't ever read the battery threads, some are clueless to the proper handling technique of the batteries. I fully endorse whatever works for someone but I guess some people use these things are just lucky that they've not had things go wrong and get injured.

Please keep us posted as to what if anything you are able to find out. I'm glad your boss is ok.

Little batteries go boom too. Size only seem to effect how long they burn once they go thermal.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
An eGo gives a false sense of security because the battery is enclosed in a tube with some foam for shock padding. You don't get to feel the warmth coming from a stressed battery. At least, you can't pop it open to see how warm it's getting.

Heat happens in a hurry with thermal runaway. I've never had a battery explode, but everyone says that a hissing noise is followed about 1 or 2 seconds later by a boom. There's no time to think, throw it away, or drop it and run.

The eGo has a 10 second cutoff, and that's a good feature. The down side is that protection circuits can fail. Hopefully, it will fail in a way that doesn't allow you vape when it does. On the up side, an eGo has short circuit/over current protection that blinks when a shorted atty is present. I've even activated the short protection while measuring voltage with a meter when I accidentally touched one lead across both terminals.

Last edited:

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Okeedokie. Finally got a look at the remains. I'll be dismantling the charger to see if the innards were affected later.

On the surface, the charger body and the batteries appear undamaged. Much like a few other reports are indicating, the charger power cord is the only part with any easily observed damage. It has seven spots on the cord that are exposed. The wires are frayed outwards and the plastic around the exposed areas appear melted.

The batteries appear unaffected. I will still dispose of them but it tested fine on a meter.

Once I crack open the casing of the charger, I'll report back with findings.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Just in case you missed this in another part of the forum.......

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...id-size-ecigarettes-failing-while-charge.html

Charging safety tips from roly. Good advice in general for those reading this thread.

Also, I just looked at the Super-T site; they sell two AW 18500 sized batteries.... the Li-Ion (protected), and the IMR (doesn't say it's protected... I don't think they generally are).

The protected one probably should not have over-drained (unless protection failed... interesting point about leaving them in the charger tho). However, the IMR one could be over-drained I suppose. The mod is all mechanical and has no protection circuit so if it's the IMR one.....I'm definitely not an IMR battery expert... but I assume it could drain too far.

So... if they were the protected ones, the discussions above about IMRs are irrelevant (to the OP... but still good info) but if they are IMR... they are not protected.

Post 1 says that the batteries exploded with charred spot on the floor (boss' claim). Now post 25 says the batteries are fine, and the cord is damaged. So...??????? Glad you're tossing them tho... or sending them to the recycle bin.

Just 2 cents, since I'm not a battery expert.

Last edited:

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Technically, no.

I've gone over the batteries top to bottom. I even cut away the jacket to see if it screwed up the circuit board. Not a thing wrong far as I can see. I can't fathom how the battery launched out of the charger. He swears it did though, and he's not the sort to exaggerate. I believe the charred spot he was describing was more likely caused by the cord and not the charger or battery. He told me the battery was destroyed but it appears that he was mistaken. He said that he thought the top part of the battery had blown off, but it was still intact actually.

As to the charger, I tore it apart and just finished looking it over. Can't see anything wrong with it either. I was hoping that there would be something wrong on the board, like a charred component, but everything appears in order.

Any ideas what would cause the cord to melt and blow out in so many different spots? Only thing I can think of is the cord was damaged internally by repeated bending caused when he rolled up the cord to take it with him. The wires might have frayed and shorted maybe. Otherwise, I'm at a loss.

Last edited:

Lethalp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2011
Indiana
Is it safe to carry charged batteries in your jeans pocket? Should they always be in a case of some sort when not in a mod or on a charger?

I just bought a new four channel trust fire charger, and it says right in the directions that it also will continue to charge in the trickle down after the green light is on. My 14500 aw imr batts have been coming off the charger at 4.2 sometimes higher, how high is too high? And what do u do if they are overcharged? I am doing the best I can to make sure I am protected, it its getting confusing. Is it the batts, the charger, user error? Any answers are appreciated, I like my teeth where they are. Thanks

deach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2011
IL
Personally I would always carry the batteries in a case. Are you taking the batteries out when the light turns green or leaving them in a while?? Any AA case will fit the 14500's so that's an easy one to find to carry them in. My 14500's are coming off my TR001 at just under 4.2 when the light turns green (4.17-4.18) and it's only if I leave them on a bit after they get to over 4.2.

FsckCigs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2012
PA
Tinstar, can you confirm which type of AW batts these were? Were they the IMR type, or the protected Li-ion ones?
Trying to nail down all the details of this incident and the 2 other very similar recent events reported which also involved TR001s. Cord damage appears to be either a result of or a cause of both of those events as well. Thanks!

Also, thanks Attypops for raising a very interesting point about potential over-discharge of IMRs in mechanical mods...gonna have to look into that one...

Last edited:

northhar

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2011
CanTheBan
A friend of mine described the problem he had with his tr001 charger electrical cord. He said he found the insulation cracked near the connector. He fixed it for now (he is a engineer) till he can pick up a new one.

He did mention that the plug was the same type that use to be used on laptop chargers till they changed it to 3 prong. He said on the laptop chargers it was common for these to break and therefore be able to short. He thought that is why they were changed to 3 prong plug in.

So if you are one to constantly plug and unplug your TR001 at the charger you need to check the condition of the plug for wear, breaks in the insulation and any fraying of the insulation.

The best idea I think is to buy more chargers and place one at home and another at work, so as not to move them around.

I am glad I saw this thread as it shows that you need to be aware about all the electrical devices you use, especially those that you constantly pack up and re-install over and over.

deach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2011
IL
deach,

I concur with your post but do take exception to veterans recommending "huge" PVs. I will not deny that some do, but that is not the norm. A lot of the misinformation on this forum stems from newbies educating newbies. How long have I been preaching not to use LRs on eGo batts, yet now folks are using DCs :rolleyes:

Did not mean to offend anyone in particular, simply have seen it done. I see the LR recommendation a lot about the Ego "type" stuff. I have been thankful on multiple occasions although new to this vaping thing, I have a clue and have had for over 40 plus years on rechargable batteries.

Again, my intention was not to have anyone take exception, simply a statement of fact.

Deach

deach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2011
IL
I went with the PILA charger. it was more expensive but from the reading i did i figured it was better than the cheapest out there.
and was not as expensive as some of the hobby chargers i was pointed too at the time. so far so good.

I use AW IMR 16340's

I never leave bats in charger once they are charged.
I never leave them unattended while charging.
I transport my bats in a Plastic case made for that purpose.

I do aggree that we need to keep up with these incidents so we can learn from them.

Oh and Deach love that tower pic, you a Ham Radio Operator too? :2cool:

Yes sir I am...also, I totally agree with the tips you provide. Thanks.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I recently picked up an xtar wp2 ii, with extra pair of spacers. They are supposed to have a very good charging characteristic, and a decent price.
I've also ordered a little belkin outlet timer. A switch on the side lets me select 3 hour run time, then there is just a little button to press to start a cycle. Even if I don't check the batteries, no way for it to significantly overcharge things.

Angler

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2011
Ausable River
Technically, no.

I've gone over the batteries top to bottom. I even cut away the jacket to see if it screwed up the circuit board. Not a thing wrong far as I can see. I can't fathom how the battery launched out of the charger. He swears it did though, and he's not the sort to exaggerate. I believe the charred spot he was describing was more likely caused by the cord and not the charger or battery. He told me the battery was destroyed but it appears that he was mistaken. He said that he thought the top part of the battery had blown off, but it was still intact actually.

As to the charger, I tore it apart and just finished looking it over. Can't see anything wrong with it either. I was hoping that there would be something wrong on the board, like a charred component, but everything appears in order.

Any ideas what would cause the cord to melt and blow out in so many different spots? Only thing I can think of is the cord was damaged internally by repeated bending caused when he rolled up the cord to take it with him. The wires might have frayed and shorted maybe. Otherwise, I'm at a loss.

You shouldn't be so quick to post threads about batteries exploding without, first, knowing what really happened and knowing what really happened may not be possible anyway. You post about a battery exploding and not just any battery but a specific brand of battery and we come to find out the battery didn't explode at all. It has already been said, in this thread and many others, that people buy these chargers and batteries without knowing how to use them safely and without even knowing the dangers of using these things in the first place. You should have the moderator delete this thread and then maybe you can post a thread about how to use the batteries and chargers as safely as possible. You might bring up things like "don't use cheap chargers".

AW is one of the most respected battery companies out there. Your thread title says a lot to people and it should be removed. When I think about this thread the first thing that comes to mind is you shouldn't have bought your boss or anyone else that cheap charger in the first place. If you buy someone batteries and a charger of this type, even a good one, you should make sure they know the dangers and how to you them as safely as possible. In the end, you are mostly to blame for this but instead of standing up to it you try to spread a bunch of hype about batteries exploding in order to get some replies to your thread.

The more I think about this..........well, you should have a moderator delete this thread. It's a joke.

Al

deach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2011
IL
Why is the OP to blame for this? (other than way he worded and titled the OP to begin with? There are Many different chargers in use daily. From his description it is the cord that malfunctioned NOT the charger. For all we know something chewed on the cord, the cord was mishandled, bla bla bla. While I do agree that it appears the title is of course extremely wrong, (I have not checked any of the items mentioned and only going what the OP said) To blame the OP for a problem someone else had is fruitless.

I personally don't care how much you spend on a charger or what brand of charger or batteries you use. If you use ANY brand wrong, problems can occur. In the end, comments like "you are most likely to blame for this" makes you someone going by facts not in evidence here. I do agree the thread needs deleted or the title changed however. NO evidence of a Battery or Charger malfunctioning exists here, only a power cord leading to a charger.

Deach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread