battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidwestMom

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2012
USA
so kinda irritated with myself, bought myself a wonderfull 78 mm auto and forgot to add a charger on... which i ordered today.. but was wondering would a volt battery charge on other 808 chargers I personally wouldn't want to try it without knowing... I have manual 808's from a different supplier and have the charger from them but wouldn't dare want to mess up my super pretty pink volt battery...

I will probably just end up being patient and wait for my order but was just curious

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Technically, any USB style charger will work. I would suggest one with an output of at least 1 amp or 1000mah for a 78mm. The "intelligence" that actually handles the task of charging the battery is inside the battery itself, so any 5 volt USB style supply will work. A USB charger without enough output current, amps or mah, will also work but will take much longer to fully recharge the battery. Since they are lithium ion batteries, they can be safely used with only a partial charge which is not true of NiCAD batteries. Probably more information that you want, but there's nothing worse than getting stuck without a charged battery for a vaper!

Last edited:

kia2

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2012
USA
You would probably be ok, but having the SI charger is the best way to go.

Today would be an excellent day to get the phone camera and snap a quick mugshot of yourself with your 78 battery and/or the Volt box or business card and post it in the Faces of Volt thread up top here to get yourself another free 78 battery for a backup. :)

1st Officer

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2012
Central Virginia
I totally had forgotten about the picture thing... I'll do that i have my other manuals for vapor for now i've decided to be patient ...

Patience is a virtue but if you have a VOM meter and know how to use it you can easily determine if a charger is compatible with your battery, it's not rocket science. However if you are not comfortable with using such devices patience is your best bet.

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Ugh, that's a bummer. The USB dongle, right? When I first switched to Volts, I tried charging my batt with my V2 charger (USB dongle), and it went verrrrry slooooow, and never fully charged. It screws in OK, the LED lights up, and you think it's good to go, right? Not so. I think there's something different about the power requirements of these newer 808s that the old USB dongles don't put out (there's more to them than just being adapters/passthroughs to the AC). In a pinch, you might be able to get that Volt batt charged enough to use it, but I'm not 100% sure that this won't harm your batt somehow. So yeah, it's a good thing you ordered a Volt one! When this happened to me, I just kept using my old 808s until my new dongle came in. I didn't damage the Volt batt that I tried to charge on my old dongle, but I only did it once (it was too ridiculous to wait that long).

The AC/car adapter however, you can use anything you already have (like for a cell phone, camera, mp3...) with no worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread