The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Battery chargers with adapters or building 100-240V inside with just a cord, which do you prefer?”

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by ramta, Jul 2, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ramta

ramta Full Member

Mar 17, 2016
    There are so many different chargers in the market, why some charger use 5V or 12V input while some chargers building 100-240V in inside the charger like building an adapter inside the charger?What’s the difference and which will you choose?
    still cant decide on what to buy. Help me.

2. Continuity

Continuity Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 19, 2015
    NW, UK
    It's no big deal, and it's not the thing to choose one charger over another for.

Some chargers that use a 5V USB input need a good, 3A USB power supply to power them with.

Simply tell us what models are available to you at what price, and then can advise better.

The difference is that having the transformer inside or outside the charger makes is that having in outside allows the charger to be used in a car easily, as some come with car adapters.

Some, especially more powerful chargers, keep the power supply outside the box as it helps keep the cells cooler as they charge.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BrotherBob

BrotherBob ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    • Like Like x 1
  4. daviedog

daviedog Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Sep 2, 2013
    Florida
    Good call, transformer inside does give space around the receptacle. Again no reason to choose a serious charger..

5. stalkster

stalkster Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 10, 2015
    FL
    Chargers depend more on how many Slots/Manufacturer/Battery type. Like batteries it's not uncommon for them to be relabeled. With that being said a name brand charger is going to be better off, then with a relabeled/restickered charger. Some will show great specs but will kinda lie unless you dig more into it.
    (Bells and whistles) LCD screen amp charge rate/ mah charged / volts etc, can be helpful to see how your batteries are lasting but are not really needed to a point(unless your a having vapor/long time). Personally I started with a Nitecore I2(basic 2 slot) and then later bought a Xtar VC4(4slot LCD screen) overall they perform the same to a extent.

Having more/quality batteries is better imo. I suggest buying some/more depending on how you vape. Instead of dealing with charges when out of town etc having more sets charged already is a lot better imo.

Volts can vary and lie, AMP's is the main story. .25~.5amp is more typical better on overall battery life, where a 2amp charge will be faster at charging but will degrade batteries faster.

6. Winchester

Winchester Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 9, 2013
    Califorina
    Hi and Welcome,
    The best battery charger I have owned is the Nitecore D4. It is a 4 bay charger that charges the battery pretty close to the way are discharged automatically. I have used it daily and have been for over a year.

7. Rickajho

Rickajho ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 23, 2011
    Boston MA
    Internal power supplies - especially badly designed ones - are a source of heat generation. Heat isn't good for batteries or the electronics of the charger itself. Considering some of the chargers I have use up to a 4 amp switching power supply - I would much rather have that located outside the charger and let it be the size it needs to be for a good power supply design & layout, rather than be crammed into the charger itself as a possible compromise.

8. ramta

ramta Full Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Dont really know what to buy.
    l Nitecore recall news is about Electric Shock which is caused by building the 100-240V high voltage inside the charge.
    im lost.. dont want to buy this scary product.

9. Mike 586

Mike 586 Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 6, 2014
    Ottawa
  10. I doubt any battery charger puts out 100 volts. That is HOUSE CURRENT. As for 240 volts ... That voltage is usually used to power industrial machinery and arc welders. AC or DC either of those voltages would fry your batteries instantly, and probably cause a spectacular explosion and fire.

11. mcclintock

mcclintock Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 28, 2014
    The simplest charger is a diode and a resistor, e.g. a lamp bulb. It works good until you disconnect the battery while still plugged in and it lights you up instead. Better commercial versions use(d) a cover with an interlock. Not very suited to high current charging though.

If the charger doesn't use mains AC directly, you know they aren't doing anything like that. One possibility with direct AC is they're using a "hot" circuit that could shock you by touching something else or a basement floor.

12. all batteries are DC "Direct Current" not AC "Alternating Current".
    Without one-way diodes (as used in your car's alternator) or a transformer in the citcuit, (which converts the AC current to DC) connecting AC to a DC battery or DC device the battery or device is guaranteed to over heat, catch fire, and probably go "boom".

13. Continuity

Apr 19, 2015
    NW, UK
    There's really nothing to worry about - just buy a Nitecore D2/4 or an XTAR VP2/4 - there are 1000s of these chargers chugging along for users on forums for flashlights and vaping etc all over the net with not a peep of trouble reported from them.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ramta

ramta Full Member

Mar 17, 2016
  15. ramta

ramta Full Member

Mar 17, 2016
  16. ramta

ramta Full Member

Mar 17, 2016
  17. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY

The link concerns counterfeit chargers bearing the name, not actual Nitecore chargers made by Nitecore. As with batteries, counterfeit items are common for these inexpensive electronic items. Buy from a reputable dealer, check the authenticity code on the box (they should have one) and you're good to go.

As far as internal versus external transformers, most 2 cell rechargers will rely on an external wall wart, most 4 cell or more, a more typical internal with a plain, standard power plug such as your lamp uses. Not much of an issue either way as long as the unit is made by a reputable manufacturer.

120V is in the US and Canada (right?). 220-240V is common in other countries. Many devices these days come with a little switch allowing you to set what voltage the unit will be run on. Non-US 220V systems also have different plug configurations, so simple plug adapters appropriate for the country are typically required as well. Saves carrying a 220 to 120 transformer when traveling.

Both 120V and 220V for consumer/residential use is AC. About the only time you'll see high voltage DC will be for heavy equipment and transportation systems such as the third power rail in a subway or train (~800V DC in the NY subway system, not something to step on if your foot is on a wheel rail).

18. ramta

ramta Full Member

Mar 17, 2016
  19. Continuity

Apr 19, 2015
    NW, UK
    The Nitecores *haven't* had loads of recalls - just a clone of one model. Buy the original article, and job done.

Or buy an XTAR or OPUS charger, instead - a few bucks more, if that gives you peace of mind.

Thousands of us use thousands of these same chargers every day without a problem.

Are you going to stop using your microwave, your electric cooker, your kettle, your TV, your computer, the lights in your home because somewhere, somehow, one of these products will have been faulty?

Just stop worrying and buy a name-brand charger...

• Like Like x 1
  20. ramta

ramta Full Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Etusivu - Marek

Finland Nitecores recall

Reason of recall? Electric shock

This are genuine products, lots of recall wow, can't believe this. I'm not going to buy something that will put my life on danger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.