The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Battery choices ??

Discussion in 'Battery Mods' started by UkUsa, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. UkUsa

UkUsa Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 15, 2008
    Smalltown Iowa, USA
    Hi all, i finally got around to picking up an encosure and some momentary switches. My questions is which batteries and how many to use.

The enclosure is 3"x2"x1" so there is quite a bit of room in it.

Any recommendations - i'm thinking about a 14500, mainly because i can use a ready made AA holder.

All and any thoughts/advice welcome.

EDIT - meant to say, i'll be using a 901 battery connection and atomizer.

2. D_Struct

D_Struct Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 9, 2009
    Lufkin, TX
    I'm powering my 901 atomizer on my Detonator w/ 2 - 3v CR2 800mAh batteries.

Currently waiting for some rechargeable batteries and charger to arrive.

3. UkUsa

Dec 15, 2008
    Smalltown Iowa, USA
    Thanks dstruct, i found some cr2's on www.batteryspace.com along wiht sone premade holders. Should make it easier to make.

I just done my own simple cad of how i'm thinking to wire this thing. I've included an led although i'm not sure if i'll use one or not.

Attached Files:

4. D_Struct

D_Struct Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 9, 2009
    Lufkin, TX
    Not a problem!

I just took Madog's advice on the CR2 batteries.

I'm getting great life out of them, so far. Really pleased with that choice.

Your design looks great. Can't wait to see the project take shape!

5. UkUsa

Dec 15, 2008
    Smalltown Iowa, USA
    Just looked again at battery space and they are RCR123's not CR2's. Still 3 volts 450mah. Think they should still work fine.

Once i'm done i'll post a project list and costings. Oh and of course pictures :D.

6. madog

madog Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 18, 2008
    Oregon - USA
    Make sure you add a 100 ohm resistor to the led for current limiting or you will burn it up - :)

7. makdevo

makdevo Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 18, 2009
    Portland Oregon
    Not sure but looks like the LED is in series with the atomizer + connection. Maybe the atomizer needs to be connected directly to one of the switch terminals not in series with the LED. Yes the led does need a current limiting resistor.

8. UkUsa

Dec 15, 2008
    Smalltown Iowa, USA
    Thanks for the replies, i'm still not too sure i want to use an led, but it would be nice to have one especially when running on batteries.

So to wire in the led it would be better to take an extra wire from the on side of switch to the + led leg then take the other side to grnd ?
    I recently made myself a usb mod using a vacuum switch, the led quit working after a few days use. No biggie, we have loads of them at work that we're not using anymore so i have a good supply. We have a bunch of resistor too. WIll have to look and see if i can find a 100ohm one.

Madog ... love your magnum mod. Figured i'd do one of these first then next project will be be a flashlight mod.

9. madog

madog Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 18, 2008
    Oregon - USA
    Yes - It doesn't really matter what side the Resistor is on - LED's do have a +/- polarity 100 ohms seems to be a good all around current limiting Resistor. But you can tweak it to perfection for maximum brightness of use a larger one if you want the LED dimmer - Here is a LED resistor calc if interested. LED calculator for single LEDs
    I always put the resistor on the + side ( I don't know why? :rolleyes:) I hook the led to the output side of the switch then when power is on the the atomizer the power is on to the led -
    Seems - Logical :)

10. UkUsa

Dec 15, 2008
    Smalltown Iowa, USA
    Thanks for the info madog. I was thinking i'd put the resistor on the + side of the led too. Like you say, it kinda makes sense.

I first started playing with leds when our company developed a device to monitor air filter restriction in heavy mining equipment. Since once an air filter gets blocked it really affects the fuel economy and performance of the vehicle. The box contained a vacuum switch hooked to a coin battery and an led. I had the job of making 200 of these things. So i had a little practise with a soldering iron :p. The project kinda went dead in the water so we have a bunch of these parts hanging around just gathering dust.
    I don't have a lot of deep electrical experience. Enough to know how to troubleshoot a circuit, use a soldering iron and a multimeter. Never got into resistors and that stuff.

Going to have to get the battery holders ordered so i can get this thing built.

11. cekte

cekte Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 5, 2009
    Oregon
    Thank you for this thread. This answered a couple questions I had. Thanks to UK and Madog. Interested to see how it turns out UK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.