Battery drain problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
I'm use 2 Tenergy RCR123a stacked batts on my Prodigy V3. When the batts die, one batt measures around 3+ volts and the other one measures zero. When I charge them they both are in the 3+ volt range. Why is one draining while the other isn't? I get consistant vaping until the one dies. When I put them on the charger, the red light on the one that is around 3+ turn green long before the other one.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
tmcase,

I mark my Batts 1-A, 1-B ,, 2-A, 2B and keep them in sets like this, I try to switch them after each charge cycle by putting A on top on my first run then B on top my 2nd run on my Mod. This keeps them draining evenly and your top batt is always going to drain 1st. This will allow your set of Batts to run an equal life span instead of one Batt always dying befoer the other, or close to it.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
tmcase,

I mark my Batts 1-A, 1-B ,, 2-A, 2B and keep them in sets like this, I try to switch them after each charge cycle by putting A on top on my first run then B on top my 2nd run on my Mod. This keeps them draining evenly and your top batt is always going to drain 1st. This will allow your set of Batts to run an equal life span instead of one Batt always dying befoer the other, or close to it.

Yes, I had to do that with some 14500 batts that I got because 1 of the 4 was draining faster than the others. By doing this I was able to pin point the bad battery. I had forgotten about that until you mentioned it. I only have 1 set of RCR123a batts so wouldn't it be safe to assume that one is bad?

WillieB69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, Iowa
tmcase,

I number mine in sets (I have set 1,2 and 3) I never thought about the A and B part though. Great idea! :thumb:

Bozzlite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Central Texas
I think this is potentially a dangerous situation. When one battery is significantly different in voltage, the lower voltage battery tends to draw heavily on the other battery. It could possibly cause over heating of the good battery with an explosion and flame.

Just saying. Hopefully you have a back up PV. I would discontinue using those two batteries until I got a couple of replacements. Then discard both of them. Start with a brand new matched set.

For safety sake. Don't take a chance on blowing up your prodigy in your face. That is one inherent danger of using stacked Lithium Ion batteries. Always use matched batteries (voltage wise and brand wise).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread