Battery Emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobthesalesclerk

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2010
Pittsburgh
I know a lot of people will advise against it but stacking those 2 bats temporarily should be fine. Just make sure you use a good Atty and test your cartos before putting them on. If it starts to get hot stop using it immediatly .

You should be good...it has vent holes if your batteries need to vent or anything. Just make sure you don't over use them or over charge them.

Also you do this at your own risk. Its not safe...once again its not safe...just make sure you are cautious when using them. If anything happens its not my fault.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Beans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Missoula Montana
All my 3.7 Volts 18650 batteries are barely working. I have several on order, but they're not here yet. Anything I can do in the interim? What would be the issues with stacking two 3 Volts regular unprotected batteries temporarily until the others come in? I use a Silver Bullet mod. I'm desperate.

Do they have a batteries plus store where you are? Just an idea, I've had a few batt ER's and they have always seemed to have something I could get by with. (protected too)

bobthesalesclerk

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2010
Pittsburgh
Another "don't do it" recommendation. If push came to shove, check a local Walgreens or gas station, a lot of them are carrying some PVs nowadays, stuff like the NJoy.

I would second this one. Most wall marts, sheet, and almost every truck stop I have ever stopped at have pvs. They suck but they will do the jon until your bats come in.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

caz55

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Tennessee
Do they have a batteries plus store where you are? Just an idea, I've had a few batt ER's and they have always seemed to have something I could get by with. (protected too)

Yeah, I went by a batteries plus and they didn't have anything but the 3 Volt unprotected. I talked to AltSmoke on the phone just a moment ago and they said people do stack two 3 volt batteries, but of course they advised against it.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
A laptop battery should have half a dozen 18650s in it. That's where I got mine. They are flat-top-ish, but work fine on all my 18650 mods. In a pinch, desperate times call for desperate measures. If you have Goodwill store close-by maybe check them out for an old laptop. If the battery pack says it doesn't hold a charge, sometimes only 1 cell of the 6 may be bad. It's worth a shot!

caz55

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Tennessee
Put the batteries in a sealed (airtight) bag and chuck them in the freezer for 24 -48 hrs. Take them out and let them get back to room temperature, charge fully and you should be good for another week.

You are talking about my 18650 batteries...the ones that are barely holding charge? They check out alright on the multimeter but I have to keep throwing a fresh charge on them to get them to work for about an hour or two. Strange.

caz55

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Tennessee
Added consideration... Is your charger working properly? Seems odd all your batts go belly-up at once.

As far as I know it's working OK. The batteries check out on the multimeter Ok, but won't fire the Silver Bullet for more than an hour without being recharged. Could the circuitry in the batteries be closed at times, etc. I cant' figure it out. I've had battery problems for two months...keep buying new ones. I use mostly cisco 306 1.5 ohm atties.

caz55

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Tennessee
All my 3.7 Volts 18650 batteries are barely working. I have several on order, but they're not here yet. Anything I can do in the interim? What would be the issues with stacking two 3 Volts regular unprotected batteries temporarily until the others come in? I use a Silver Bullet mod. I'm desperate.

I tried two 3 Volt regular unprotected (non-rechargeable) batteries in my SB Mod. It works, but I'm scared to death everytime I hit the button. I'm using the regular 510 atty rather than the LR atties I normally use.

Sicarius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
NZ
You are talking about my 18650 batteries...the ones that are barely holding charge? They check out alright on the multimeter but I have to keep throwing a fresh charge on them to get them to work for about an hour or two. Strange.

Yup

Freezing them and bringing back to room temp re-aligns the crystaline structure in the battery. Think of it like a lithium detox. Batteries should work better for around two weeks and then start to die again, but it's better than nothing. Used to do it to laptop batteries all the time and worked a treat.

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
I tried two 3 Volt regular unprotected (non-rechargeable) batteries in my SB Mod. It works, but I'm scared to death everytime I hit the button. I'm using the regular 510 atty rather than the LR atties I normally use.

I used unprotected stacked before there were protected and never had an issue. You should be ok. Dont run the volts down too long using them before charging them again. Check that they arent running too hot. I always have extra backup batts on hand just as an insurance against this very problem.. lol

I wouldnt worry but I am speaking just for me.. Not advising anyone else to use them.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
If you stack two 3 volt batteries, the risk is that one will eventually be at a different charge level that the other. This can cause one to reverse discharge into the other. What happens when they go into runaway is that the battery the gets too hot or develops an internal short will start spewing under internal pressures. Mostly, this happens when a cell is overheated, damaged, or the liquid inside shorts due to metal particles suspended in the liquid that cause shorts within the battery.

The vent holes are there to allow that pressure to escape from the PV, but only to a point. The PV can become a flare of hot gases and when the pressure starts to rise above the capability of the vent holes to allow the pressure to escape, you get a catastrophic explosion where the case splits and explodes. It doesn't happen that often, but it makes a believer out of those who have experienced it.

Lots of people stack 3 volt Li-ion cells. Before doing this, I'd advise you to read this article. It doesn't happen that often, but the explosion or venting releases caustic liquids that cause respiratory irritation, burning of skin, and other nasty effects. There's a picture of an exploded cell phone midway the article. One article I've read says that Li-ion cells can produce 1/4 to 3/4 the explosive force of a hand grenade.
Battery Safeguards; Protection Circuits

Last edited:

caz55

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Tennessee
I used unprotected stacked before there were protected and never had an issue. You should be ok. Dont run the volts down too long using them before charging them again. Check that they arent running too hot. I always have extra backup batts on hand just as an insurance against this very problem.. lol

I wouldnt worry but I am speaking just for me.. Not advising anyone else to use them.

These are non-rechargeable...bought them at CVS Pharmacy. They are the Duracell 123 Ultra Photo. Are they still OK to use?

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
I would rather see you smoke an analog until your order gets there than to chance putting questionable batteries in your mod. Maybe you can get some patches or something to hold you over and just use the batteries for the 1-2 hours each. Check your charger and your atomizer as having a ton of batteries all die at once sounds suspect. Grab a multimeter and check your voltage at the connection on your mod before you put the atomizer on as well.

Very dangerous to use questionable batteries. I would NEVER use non-rechargeable LI-Ion batteries.

caz55

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Tennessee
I would rather see you smoke an analog until your order gets there than to chance putting questionable batteries in your mod. Maybe you can get some patches or something to hold you over and just use the batteries for the 1-2 hours each. Check your charger and your atomizer as having a ton of batteries all die at once sounds suspect. Grab a multimeter and check your voltage at the connection on your mod before you put the atomizer on as well.

Very dangerous to use questionable batteries. I would NEVER use non-rechargeable LI-Ion batteries.

I have a multimeter. How do you check the charger? Where do you place the leads? Maybe I was a little misleading when I say the batteries all died at once. I have had four brand new ones die or start performing miserably over about a two month period. The two I have remaining read fine (almost 4.0 Volts) on the multimeter even though they will no longer fire my SB mod unless I throw them back on the charger for a few hours. They'll work for a few hours, still read good on the meter, but won't fire the mod, regardless of the atomizer I use. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread