Battery Emergency!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Well, 0.9 ohm, 2.0 ohm, doesn't matter when it shorts. They all go to 0 or just about when they short :?:

I wouldn't toss the atty. I would use it on a regulated mod and maybe add a heatsink so you don't have to unscrew/screw it back on as often. Unscrew/screw back on the heat sink instead. And at least keep it for spare parts for your other one.

We did discuss our concerns with that atty wondering if that base might do this. Its too bad as its a darn nice atty otherwise for the price, and has really good flavor.

Wth?

If it jumped from .9 to .04 ( near dead short) there's a serious problem.

Please do not advise vapers to use a damaged atomizer on a regulated mod.

That's incredibly unsafe.

If you can fix it, that's one thing.
If you can't fix it do not use it.

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
Well, 0.9 ohm, 2.0 ohm, doesn't matter when it shorts. They all go to 0 or just about when they short :?:

I wouldn't toss the atty. I would use it on a regulated mod and maybe add a heatsink so you don't have to unscrew/screw it back on as often. Unscrew/screw back on the heat sink instead. And at least keep it for spare parts for your other one.

We did discuss our concerns with that atty wondering if that base might do this. Its too bad as its a darn nice atty otherwise for the price, and has really good flavor.

Yes, we did discuss this, and I thought I was OK with the new one -- as long as I kept the tension in the base plate (does it have a specific name?) greater than the tension of the atty with the mod.

I actually have several heatsinks and a couple of kicks in my Fastech basket, but I guess they're not doing me much good there, are they? :blush:

Reactions: roxynoodle

dimo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
Had that happen to me on a AGA-T2 back when I used mechs and genesis style atomizers. Once the damage was done it was too easy for that center pin to slide up and down easily. I didn't didn't want to worry about another potential short so I just tossed it. The battery I discharged and tossed out as well.

Thankfully regulated mods can offer up safely all the power I'll ever need to vape. I no longer use any of my mechs, they sitting in a drawer collecting dust.

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
Had that happen to me on a AGA-T2 back when I used mechs and genesis style atomizers. Once the damage was done it was too easy for that center pin to slide up and down easily. I didn't didn't want to worry about another potential short so I just tossed it. The battery I discharged and tossed out as well.

I had another T5 that I retired for that reason. I replaced it because it's a nice flavor atty (as Roxy said). I thought, being aware of it's potential for doing that, I could avoid it happening to the second one by taking a bit more care when I removed it from the mod. I guess not.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I hope mine is behaving for the person I gave it to. Last I knew she was very happy with it. She was new to RTAs and I first had her try a Prometey. She was successful building it, but not being able to see her juice drove her crazy. Then she bought a Lemo2, but was having some newby wicking issues, so I sent her the t5, which was very easy for her to get going with, without leaks.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
I hope mine is behaving for the person I gave it to. Last I knew she was very happy with it. She was new to RTAs and I first had her try a Prometey. She was successful building it, but not being able to see her juice drove her crazy. Then she bought a Lemo2, but was having some newby wicking issues, so I sent her the t5, which was very easy for her to get going with, without leaks.

Maybe check on her? :) Seriously, next time you talk to her, maybe suggest that if she ever gets a mech, that the T5 isn't necessarily a great atty for it.

Reactions: roxynoodle

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Maybe check on her? :) Seriously, next time you talk to her, maybe suggest that if she ever gets a mech, that the T5 isn't necessarily a great atty for it.

I will do that. I'm pretty sure she's using istick 50Ws and a Provari. She loved her Provaris until she got an istick. She was very happy with the feel of the istick (and yes, I made sure she was aware of all the problems that had been reported, and helped her fix the firing button on one). I haven't heard from her since maybe Christmas so I will email her.

Reactions: NoFumus

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
0.9 isnt all that low; if you could be satisfied with a 1.3 ohm build then you can get along fine with a mech regulated by a common kick module and get the durability of a mech plus the standard short circuit protection of a regulated.

For the most part, I've been using Lemo V1s at about 1.2, so no, I don't have a problem with super-ohm builds. I had recently gotten a Lemo V2 and a Bellus, which were both sub-ohm. I was getting a little tired of the cloudy room & the juice consumption, which was why I reached for the T5. I just don't know what brain fart led me to put it on a mech other that I had just noticed it half hiding under a pile of papers.

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
0.9 isnt all that low; if you could be satisfied with a 1.3 ohm build then you can get along fine with a mech regulated by a common kick module and get the durability of a mech plus the standard short circuit protection of a regulated.

oo00oo
lookie! they're down to 5 bucks now!
$5.82 Authentic Sigelei Variable Wattage Kick Module for Mechanical Mod - 5-15W at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Yep, that's exactly what's been in my cart for while now, waiting for my next purchase.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
So glad you caught it fast! :)
I admit to tossing my AGA-T for this very reason, yes the original AGA-T, this has been an issue from the start and obviously has not gotten any better with subsequent versions over the years :(
Although nothing happened to me with mine too many others were experiencing this issue for my comfort level to keep using it or pass it along to anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread