Battery Exploding and/or Smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Human Tree92

Apr 5, 2017
Just a heads up to all of you Vapers out there. If you use the MXJO 18650 3000mAH batteries be warned. I had 1 blow up on the charger after 2hrs about 3 weeks ago. Now just 30mins ago i put one on the charger and it started smoking. I guess its safe to say that Either A:MXJO &/or Nitecore D4 charger will cause problems or B: batteries after so many charges need to be thrown away. But this right here is in enough for me to stop vaping. So if you have a MXJO battery &/or a Nitecore Charger be care full. And only charge batteries while you are near them.

Also want is a good 18650 &/or Charger that won't cause these problems?

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
While I am very sorry your subpar batteries gave you trouble I hope you aren't serious about giving up vaping over it, at least not if it means you'll return to smoking. I would hope you would just take it as a very close call that wakes you up to the importance of only buying and using/charging high quality and authentic batteries within safe parameters. If you weren't a smoker and won't return to cigarettes then by all means give it all up, only fresh air is better than anything at all.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Were these the silver/yellow ones? How did you regularly use them to vape? Mech, regulated, resistance, watts, etc? Did they regularly get warm/hot? How long have you been using them?
Sad that these posts get ignored.

People regularly accept answers without caring what the proper question was.

In this (and many other) case (s) it's imperative to ask questions and get detailed information to determine the real problem so it can be avoided in the future.

But who cares... :blink:

Let's just roll with whatever comes to mind first and wild assumptions!

That ought to fix it. :facepalm:

Tapatyped

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
Just a heads up to all of you Vapers out there. If you use the MXJO 18650 3000mAH batteries be warned. I had 1 blow up on the charger after 2hrs about 3 weeks ago. Now just 30mins ago i put one on the charger and it started smoking. I guess its safe to say that Either A:MXJO &/or Nitecore D4 charger will cause problems or B: Batteries after so many charges need to be thrown away. But this right here is in enough for me to stop Vaping. So if you have a MXJO battery &/or a Nitecore Charger be care full. And only charge batteries while you are near them.

Not a reputable battery.... not a surprise.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Just a heads up to all of you Vapers out there. If you use the MXJO 18650 3000mAH batteries be warned. I had 1 blow up on the charger after 2hrs about 3 weeks ago. Now just 30mins ago i put one on the charger and it started smoking. I guess its safe to say that Either A:MXJO &/or Nitecore D4 charger will cause problems or B: Batteries after so many charges need to be thrown away. But this right here is in enough for me to stop Vaping. So if you have a MXJO battery &/or a Nitecore Charger be care full. And only charge batteries while you are near them.

Were these the silver/yellow ones? How did you regularly use them to vape? Mech, regulated, resistance, watts, etc? Did they regularly get warm/hot? How long have you been using them?

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016

Sorry for 2x posting replying as i re read. Good battery = SONY, LG, SAMSUNG i buy personally from IMRBatteries.com then there is LIIONWholesale also... both trusted

V43L1N

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
So. MD
After the first battery vented on your charger, it would have been wise to replace the charger.

Take a look at Mooch's latest battery graphs and choose your battery based on his recommendations. Re-wrapped batteries are always a gamble, you never know what cell is under the wrapper. (Unless you re-wrap them yourself, which you should do if the wrap is damaged.)

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada

When the cost of a LG/Samsung/Sony is usually +/- 50 cents more I see no reason to buy re-wraps.. Have been using LG HE4's for 2 years now not a problem and I've pushed these batteries seriously hard.

As for chargers Xtar is my brand, some are a bit pricey but there's cheaper ones as well...

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
MXJO cells are decent (I've got one in the M class right now) they just can't be pushed hard. General rule of thumb; when in doubt replace.
No. They are not.
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...o=relevance&c[title_only]=1&c[user][0]=256958
Just scroll and see how many are "ridiculously overrated".

When the cost of a LG/Samsung/Sony is usually +/- 50 cents more I see no reason to buy re-wraps..
This. One thousand times THIS.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Good points, i still hate rewraps because you dont know what they originally were and anybody can fake a rewrap (yes faking a rewraper exists)
I love rewraps.

They allow me to extend the life of a perfectly good cell after the kiddos damage the wrap taking it off the charger.

And I can go all murdered out or "matchy matchy" as some less testosterone motivated people would say.

Tapatyped

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
Good points, i still hate rewraps because you dont know what they originally were and anybody can fake a rewrap (yes faking a rewraper exists)

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
General rule of thumb for any batteries; when capacity drops to %80 do not use them. I've got some aging HG2 batteries that I no longer use for high wattage because they are reaching 300 cycles. MXJO cells are decent (I've got one in the M class right now) they just can't be pushed hard. General rule of thumb; when in doubt replace.

I wish this was easy. I have no idea how many cycles my batteries have been through. I have some button tops for Provaris that are less than a year old so no problem. Around 8 flat tops for various mods. The oldest are 2 1/2 years old. No idea where the capacity is at. I currently have 5 mods that use flat tops. I use them all at random with different tanks and resistances so it's unlikely I would notice if a particular battery was running down fast, at least without some dedicated effort.

I've disposed of half a dozen batteries over the last 2 1/2 years, five of them were eaten by Sigelei mods which have a habit of occasionally keeping the display on at the dim setting until the battery gets run down to 2 volts. I heard they shouldn't be used again if they get down that low. The only battery I ever had go off on me was in an old Sigelei 20 that short circuited. It started pumping smoke out of the hole at the bottom when I put a new battery in. I was able to get the bottom cap off before it got too hot to do much damage to my fingers.

I've asked before if there was a way of checking the health of a battery but apparently there isn't, other than watching their performance.

I don't worry too much because I never go over around 12W. And I use Mooch-approved HG batteries from Illumination Supply. Guess it's a bigger deal if you use high power or mechs.

I was thinking about a low tech solution, like retiring them when they get to 2 years old. When I first got on ECF someone suggested they should be retired after 1 year, but other folks replied that 1 year was too soon. But like people have said in this thread they are cheap enough that it's not a big deal.

After writing this post I've decided to go through my batteries and retire any that are over 2 years old. Answered my own question I guess.

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
General rule of thumb for any batteries; when capacity drops to %80 do not use them. I've got some aging HG2 batteries that I no longer use for high wattage because they are reaching 300 cycles. MXJO cells are decent (I've got one in the M class right now) they just can't be pushed hard. General rule of thumb; when in doubt replace.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada

I've yet to hear about Nitecore chargers being bad... but like any electronics, it can happen.

The battery that you speak of though, all re-wraps are a huge gamble and the odds are 99.9999% certain that it's the battery that broke down.

In every thread on here about batteries I've seen, no question about it, someone (including myself) warns the OP (and everyone) about buying re-wraps and to stick to "real" brand ones. There's a reason for that, but yet, people still continue to play Russian roulette to save a dollar over the most dangerous aspect of vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread