Battery Labels Wearing Quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I've owned a couple of Sony VTC5's for about 2 months and been charging them with a Nitecore i2 charger. I'm having the problem that on both of the batteries the label/casing has worn away near the negative pole. I'm pretty sure it's the Nitecore charger that's responsible for this. On the charger there is a sort of extendible clip on the negative end for difference size batteries and its almost impossible not to catch the battery on the clip (which is under pressure from the battery) when inserting/removing it.

I was just wondering:
a) How dangerous is this on a regulated mod? I'm using the batteries on a Sigelei 20W. From my understanding of it the wear on the casing could cause a negative/negative short which would mean the spring would not work in the event of an over-current. But it's a regulated mod so presumably it SHOULD be protected at the positive end from such currents?
b) Are certain batteries or chargers notorious for this sort of wear/tear occurring easily? In all honesty at the end of the day I'd just rather switch battery and charger and feel safe.

Picture (not using this one it's so bad):
vtc5-label-wear_zps16a25e3a.jpg

ScottChensoda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2013
Lat:51.53889/Long:0.14743
I have never come across this issue before and I perhaps think you should change the way you insert batteries, I.e. place the bottom of the cell onto the spring-loaded terminal first and then push the clip down using the battery to do so, until the top of the cell clips under the top terminal. That way, there is never any abrasion to the wrapping.

If the de-wrapped part of the cell should come into contact with the side of the mod, the whole device then becomes live and if attached to an atty will permanently discharge leading to over discharge or possible thermal runaway. That's when it's time to head for them thar hills.
As for the cells that have become somewhat de-wrapped shall we say, here's a tutorial on how to re-wrap them for not a lot of pences.

Re-wrapping batteries | The Vapers Shed

I have never come across this issue before and I perhaps think you should change the way you insert batteries, I.e. place the bottom of the cell onto the spring-loaded terminal first and then push the clip down using the battery to do so, until the top of the cell clips under the top terminal. That way, there is never any abrasion to the wrapping.
The method I usually use is similar to the one you describe but I obviously was not doing it properly. I just had a practice at trying to use only the terminal of the battery as pressure on the spring-loaded clip thing and I think I see what you mean so I put this incident down to inexperience I think. Thanks for your link on rewrapping batteries, nice to know I don't need to buy a new charger and possibly not even new batteries!

If the de-wrapped part of the cell should come into contact with the side of the mod, the whole device then becomes live and if attached to an atty will permanently discharge leading to over discharge or possible thermal runaway. That's when it's time to head for them thar hills.

Really, the mod casing actually becomes live if the battery casing shorts out onto it? According to this all of the battery casing is negative and the main problem would be that a hot spring (or negative fuse) would be bypassed if the negative battery casing shorted out onto the mod casing:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/337497-warning-battery-reverse-polarity-apvs.html
Still not ideal admittedly. But maybe a confusion with reverse-polarising where the mod-casing actually does become live/positive and all fuses are bypassed?

My box mod has sliced open the battery shrink wrap a few times, now the batteries I use in that device are wrapped in 3M electrical tape, no more problems!
Thanks for the info. I patched it with electrical tape for now, might do a more permanent repair or get a couple of new batteries later to be on the safe side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread