Battery Life of ProVari V2

Status
Not open for further replies.

comptechltd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2011
So. IL (St. Louis)
Hi all. I was all set to pick up a buzz pro here shortly until I heard of the release of the provari V2. I understand that the battery life is reduced quite a bit with dual coils and understand why. I currently use the stardust and absolutely love it on my mini Volcano at about 4.3 but as is to be expected the battery life kinda sucks.

I guess my main question is...all things being equal....assuming equal carto's be it dual coil or single SR or LR How would the battery life compare on a Buzz Pro with the 2 16340 vs. a Provari V2. with the 18650. (I would definately use the bigger battery). Is one significantly longer that the other??

Steve

Slurp812

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2011
Northwest Ohio
Using the first thing I found on google for the 16340's, and Provari spec IMR batteries, I calculated:

2x 16340 3.6 v 880 mah hour L-ion batteries = 6.336 watt-hours
1x 18650 3.7 v 1600 mah hour IMR battery = 5.92 watt-hours

Plus you would have to factor in the regulation losses. The ProVari is 90-95%. I don't have any efficiency numbers on the Buzz Pro. Should be pretty close...

Sicarius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
NZ
Also to consider is that the ProVari low voltage protection kicks in at 3.2V (not sure what the Buzz is) and this does affect the available maH that the battery has (AW 1600maH on 3A discharge hits 3.2V at around 1230maH). Not sure on how the pulsed current draw affects this and also that instead of 3A the pulsed amperage is more like 8-10A, but the principle remains the same.

comptechltd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2011
So. IL (St. Louis)
Also to consider is that the ProVari low voltage protection kicks in at 3.2V (not sure what the Buzz is) and this does affect the available maH that the battery has (AW 1600maH on 3A discharge hits 3.2V at around 1230maH). Not sure on how the pulsed current draw affects this and also that instead of 3A the pulsed amperage is more like 8-10A, but the principle remains the same.

I know a bit about electronics but you totally lost me. Sorry to be a newb but what are you getting at?

Sicarius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
NZ
In simple terms from above the ProVari will switch off after using the battery to 23% remaining capacity where the Buzz will carry on till the battery protection operates (around 2.75V).

Even with same capacity batteries the BP may therefore seem to outperform the PV (I have no idea how the BP operates so speculation on my part)

Slurp812

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2011
Northwest Ohio
I used the recommended IMR batteries. The L-ion may have a higher capacity, but the IMR batteries can supply the large current pulses to operate the regulator circuit. I also believe the ProVari circuit will be a bit more efficient. And the stacking batteries issue, all valid points. With the 2000 mah IMR, @ 3.7 volts it would be 7.4 watt-hours, so it would win. Too bad they don't make a VV mod like the provari with the 2650 battery! Me, Im good all day with the little 18490....

Sgt. Pepper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2011
Hi all. I was all set to pick up a buzz pro here shortly until I heard of the release of the provari V2. I understand that the battery life is reduced quite a bit with dual coils and understand why. I currently use the stardust and absolutely love it on my mini Volcano at about 4.3 but as is to be expected the battery life kinda sucks.

I guess my main question is...all things being equal....assuming equal carto's be it dual coil or single SR or LR How would the battery life compare on a Buzz Pro with the 2 16340 vs. a Provari V2. with the 18650. (I would definately use the bigger battery). Is one significantly longer that the other??

Steve

There is no comparison between the buzz pro and the provari. The provari wins in all areas--quality, safety, features. I will not stack batteries. Using AW IMR 1600mah batteries, I'm getting about 10 hours using 1.5ohm dc carto's. I vape moderately to heavy through out the day.

cheers,

rem700

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2011
Mn
I'm running the IMR 18490 1100mah batts that came with the unit, I'm getting around 6 hours per battery. I'm not completely thrilled with the battery life, but I can live with it. How much more capacity do I get if I get the plate extension?

AW IMR 18650s are available in 1600 and 2000mah which is 500-900mah more then what your useing now which is 1100mah.
So appx 2-3hrs more with the 1600mah and maybe 4-5hrs more with the 2000mah. To many variables to say perzactly.

I am getting appx 20hrs of use on 18490s and go thru about 3-3.5mls of juice in a 3.0ohm Fluxo at about 4V so the variables being ohms, volts, and amount of juice.
So am I a lightweight or medium vapor:facepalm:

Last edited:

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Pretty much all day. On a really heavy vape day, like when I just switched to a tank, boosted consumption to 9 ml/day for a little bit, I swapped batteries for the last couple of hours at night. 6 - 7 ml/day is pretty much my day-in, day-out rate (I can vape at work). Helping a buddy working on his camp, the batteries lasted until I got back home at 2 am the next morning -- I was vaping less frequently during the day, but a lot on the drive home.

I try to give information in ml, ohms, volts, because that kind of levels the field. I know that when I went from my earlier vaping, on KR808 and Riva fat batteries, switching to VV, I pretty much overnight doubled my daily consumption, from 3ml/day to 6 :)

A person who vapes at about my volts and ohms can expect to run through as many ml as I do between battery changes. I know people who have stayed at about 3ml/day, and they report two days between battery changes. Me, I bumped consumption, only get one.

I like what I use a lot, but Provari is an awesome PV from everything I've heard, certainly solid for anyone wanting a well-engineered product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread