battery question

Status
Not open for further replies.

shannon walker

Aug 4, 2015
Ok before you post and tell me to learn ohms law or consult an ohm calculator, I already have

My question is I have a cloupor gt 80w tc mod takes 2 18650 batteries and I want to possibly run a subtank mini ni200 coil .15 ohm, at 80 watts that coil will pull just under 23 amps.

Will 2 20 amp batteries be safe to use as from my understanding each battery will only have half the load so 11.5 amps each is this safe?

The reason I even asking is bc I am on a tight budget if I had the cash to buy 40amp batteries I would but I can only afford the 20 amp ones right now.

As always thanks in advance

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
For a regulated mod, in VW mode, you calculate the max current draw as Max Amps = Max Wattage / Min Battery Voltage (3.2v).

So Max Amps = 80 watts / 3.2 volts = 25 Amps. If your mod is wired in parallel, your load is split between two cells, 2-20A cells would be safe.

I do not own a temp control mod YET but from what I have gleaned running in TC mode, wattage is your accelerator to get you up to speed (i.e.temperature). Wattage just determines how fast your coil heats up. The temperature you set will determine how hot the coil stays and thereby have more effect on vapor and flavor. With nickel/titanium, you don't want to get to your desired temp right away, because as soon as you do the chip will begin to dial back the power to keep you at the temperature you set.

Regarding batteries and their amp ratings @Mooch has been bench testing lots of cells. Here are links to some of his battery blogs:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread