Battery Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarpoM

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2013
oak view california
I hope I'm posting in the correct forum. I apologize if not.
I just purchased this battery for me regulated eleaf PicoS mod.
Samsung 40T 21700 4000mAh 35A Battery

I assumed it was safe to use for my mod, but when I read the warning on the package, it states to "not use for e-cigarette, vaporizer, or similar device"

This is the battery I purchased, and have been using for a while now
Customer Login

Is the battery I just purchased safe to use? Not sure and I would rather not have a problem using it

Thanks so much

Darren

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Hello @HarpoM, don't worry about the warnings. All of the big li ion cell manufacturers put them on their cells or imply this with legal notices because they don't want to be associated with vaping.

This is due to all the deaths, injuries and incidents that have been caused by uninformed and overconfident individuals.

As long as you ask the right folks or follow the right folks such as @Mooch, you'll be fine. Because li ion batteries when misused and or mishandled are inherently dangerous.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
No batteries made by Lg, Samsung, or Sony were intended for use outside of a protected battery pack, thus the warning. If they are used safely and responsibly within their specifications they are reasonably safe to use for vaping

images
Battery pack with battery mananagement system

sony-battery-jpg.529035

Last edited:

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
@Baditude, I'm sure you remember the Sony laptop fiasco. Where they went up in flames, but we've had it happen with li ion technology applied in different environments.

Here's a few more.

Boeing Dreamliner
Samsung Note 7
iPhone (unfortunately don't remember the version number)

And most importantly, these were in supposedly protected environments and safe for use.

Reactions: stols001

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
The big cell manufacturers (LG, Samsung, Sony) are doing legal CYA to insulate themselves from the dumpster fire that is vaping legislation. With all the crazy laws being passed it's hard to even blame them. That doesn't change the fact that their cells work wonderfully in vaping devices.

But it does cause a problem in that the cells you do buy are effectively bootlegged, which means there is an opportunity for unethical people to pass off fakes. That's why it's so important to obtain your cells from a trusted source, such as any of the vendors on the aforementioned blog.

It's worth noting that MOLICEL cells are the exception. They openly sell to the vaping community, and are now my favorite manufacturer.

And there are a plethora of middlemen who vet, enhance, and re-wrap big-name cells under their own brands, specifically for the purposes of vaping.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Thank you everyone for the responses.
I went ahead and ordered one that I know works. In the future, I will be using @Mooch for future battery purchases

Darren

The cell you linked (Samsung 40T) is perfectly fine to use in your pico. I use the 40T and 30T practically every day. Absolutely fantastic cells.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Thank you everyone for the responses.
I went ahead and ordered one that I know works.

Good job. You picked a good battery too. I chimed in to agree with @Katya about the importance of vendor selection. It's not just about picking the right battery; it's also about getting it from the right place.

Counterfeit batteries abound, unfortunately. Batteries from places like Amazon and eBay have a very high risk of being counterfeit. More reliable vape shops can also be taken in. You can trust a shop enough to be sure they wouldn't intentionally sell counterfeits, but they're still vulnerable to falling for the counterfeits themselves.

For that matter, even some of Mooch's recommended vendors have been known to wind up with fakes on occasion, but they have more reliable supply chains and sometimes spot check shipments to ensure that the batteries behave as expected, as far as they can tell. There's no way to guarantee authenticity, but sticking to Mooch's recommendations (in the blue section of the chart) will go a long way to reducing your risk.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If you do NOT get the boiler plate warning now with your vape battery and yes, use Mooch approved sources, I do, it's a sign of trouble.

And I kind of include some of those other "Just for vaping" batteries, perhaps NOT because they are bad but because I have little ability to know whether or not they are fakes. Unlike my favorite batteries from my favorite Mooch approved vendors.

Glad you asked. There is NEVER a dumb battery question. NEVER. Not even "Should I lick it."

Which I would recommend not doing. I have not heard whether that is unsafe or not but I'm not about to be Test Subject Zero.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread