Battery safety - toss or use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOWLY

Mar 13, 2017
Hello, so this battery is pretty old, and I am really carefull with them,extremely, today went for vape shop and I forgot to buy new ones, I have 4x over all, and other pair is in perfect condition, no scraches, but I think I messed this one up while pulling out of a charger (the spring pushed the metal holder end), and tell me am I fine using this one? should I just wrap another layer, or toss?
23825387_1656253431072884_358406710_o.jpg

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I can't see how deep that scrape is. If it's just the wrap you can RE-wrap it, meaning take OFF the old one and put a new one on top. Plenty of tutorials online on how to rewrap a battery it's fairly easy honestly, but you do need to do it correctly.

If there is any dent or shape change with the battery itself you should toss it.

Anna

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Although it is a bunch of small perforations it is in an area of the battery that is not normally near a contact and usually sitting in a plastic battery sled. Now I am a firm believer in when in doubt throw it out but these are definitely rewrap candidates. Remember I am not a Battery Expert and DO NOT claim to be one on any Internet forums! Good luck...

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
To be honest for a small abrasion like that I would use a bit of Scotch tape. I would also look at the cause and see if I could eliminate it with a touch of sandpaper on the charger sled.

Some MOD 's do not have the clearance even for scotch tape which I have suggested a bunch of times to wind up with a bunch of members going bonkers over my recommendation. Even using a little nail polish would work. But that is another worthwhile suggestion in my humble opinion!

LOWLY

Mar 13, 2017
thanks guys for replays, to be honest I really don't like touching any batteries, when I was younger, a buss battery exploded while doing summer job (It was too dry and no not my fault), so since then I have battery phobia, I might just buy new ones, since someone is said I should re wrap, but I might end up just doing electrical tape, don't know. :/ But thanks, help full as this forum all ways is! :)

I can't see how deep that scrape is. If it's just the wrap you can RE-wrap it, meaning take OFF the old one and put a new one on top. Plenty of tutorials online on how to rewrap a battery it's fairly easy honestly, but you do need to do it correctly.

If there is any dent or shape change with the battery itself you should toss it.

Anna
Its only the top, when the metal spring went back to its place from charging, it scraped it, but Its getting bigger with every time use, not dramaticaly, but expanding slowly.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

LOWLY

Mar 13, 2017

Anna
Its only the top, when the metal spring went back to its place from charging, it scraped it, but I mean the more I use it I think the more it goes darker that spot.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
thanks guys for replays, to be honest I really don't like touching any batteries, when I was younger, a buss battery exploded while doing summer job (It was too dry and no not my fault), so since then I have battery phobia, I might just buy new ones, since someone is said I should re wrap, but I might end up just doing electrical tape, don't know. :/ But thanks, help full as this forum all ways is! :)

As you're reluctant to do the rewrap yourself, you might check if a local vape shop will do it for you. A lot of them do it for free, and some charge a dollar or two.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
From the picture it looks like the wrap got pulled enough to create ripples in the wrap, but I couldn't really tell if metal is exposed. Even if it is, it's the negative pole. Battery sleds are all usually plastic, but some may have metal parts that don't need to touch a battery case. IF yours are plastic there's nothing to worry about. If they are metal that part is usually negative, so no issue there.

Still, I'd re-wrap to maintain factory condition. I'm one to maintain everything I own within factory design parameters.

Re-wrapping is easy and a cheap fix. Buy the clear wraps that will allow the original wrap info to show through. Cut it to length with enough extra to match the original, making sure there's enough to go bend over the ends like the original, slide it on, and heat it for about 30 seconds with a hair dryer on high until it shrinks into place. Rotate the battery during heating and move the hair dryer back and forth to shrink the wrap all around.

If your battery will slide into your mod with a single wrap of electrical tape around it, it will fit with the over-wrap sleeve.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread