Battery Smell and or/ Mod Smell Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina Wilk

May 17, 2018
Hi! I’m new here so I hope I am posting in the right area. I’m having a couple of issues with my batteries or my mod. I can not figure out which is at fault.

To start I have two Hohm Life 20A (bought from local B&M) and two Sony VTC5s (bought from illumn.com). I am using a Tesla WYE 85W on VW mode set at 35W with an Aspire Cleito tank, kanthal 0.40 ohms.

I’ve noticed a little after chain vaping if I open the battery door on the Tesla at the top end (the negative end of battery) there is a weird smell. It is faint and I may have a sensitive nose, it gets a tad stronger the more I chain vape. I since stopped using the first Hohm Life battery I noticed it with, I’m currently using my other Hohm Life. Which I’ve also noticed has the faint smell. It almost smells like battery or burning plastic. I’ve taken the Hohm Life out and put in my vtc5 and also notice the same faint (even fainter on this one) smell coming from only the negative end. The smell lingers on the batteries and at the top prong of my Tesla.

I’ve tested the Hohm Life in my other device an Eleaf Pico 75W and there isn’t any smell. Which leads me to believe it is coming from my mod itself the Tesla. Does anyone have any insight on this? I ordered 4 more Sony VTC5s this time from liionwholesale.com just to be on the safe side... if it’s my mod do I need to replace it? Or is this normal from manufacturer?

I know if a battery has vented to get rid of it immediately but it doesn’t smel very strong and I’ve never had issues with them getting super hot or anything else. Just the weird smell. Any insight or thoughts would be super helpful!

Edit: I went today and bought an Asmodus Colassal as it’s similar to the Tesla. I’m having the same issues on the brand new Colassal with the same three batteries, still no smell issues with the pico. The colassal and Tesla are similar in their battery casings (both are plastic with the prongs) the pico on the other hand is not. Could I just be super sensitive to the smell of burning plastic at the prongs? Maybe the way I am charging them? (Nite core). New batteries are coming Monday, if the smell persists I’m not exactly sure where to go from here. I’ve invested way too much $$ into these devices already......

Last edited:

Kristina Wilk

May 17, 2018
It really sounds like there's some sort of manufacturing error in your device. I have the 2 battery WYE and never had any kind of strange smell (and, not to pat myself on the shoulder, my sense of smell is quite good).

Do you still have warranty on your WYE?

I bought it within the last two months as well as both sets of batteries. If there is warranty I should still have it. I will look into this, thank you!

If instead of waiting on a new device from the manufacturer, I went and bought another one from the same B&M could it be their specific products or just a faulty one?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The only thing that comes to my mind is maybe a piece of plastic (insulation on a wire?) has melted inside the mod, giving off the burnt smell.

I wasn't aware of the specs of the Hohm Life battery so I looked to see if Mooch had bench tested it. He had only tested this one HohmLife 36.3A 3077mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...only a 20A- battery but a great one, equal to HG2

348930-67d27c18f69b1e7f4d033df27be2be95.jpg

Kristina Wilk

May 17, 2018
The only thing that comes to my mind is maybe a piece of plastic (insulation on a wire?) has melted inside the mod, giving off the burnt smell.

I wasn't aware of the specs of the Hohm Life battery so I looked to see if Mooch had bench tested it. He had only tested this one HohmLife 36.3A 3077mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...only a 20A- battery but a great one, equal to HG2

348930-67d27c18f69b1e7f4d033df27be2be95.jpg
Would this be dangerous to use? I’ve stopped using it for now. Although it’s been going on for quite some time only last night it had me worried. I’m looking into a new single battery regulated mod that’s similar to the Tesla because I really enjoy it.

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Would this be dangerous to use? I’ve stopped using it for now. Although it’s been going on for quite some time only last night it had me worried. I’m looking into a new single battery regulated mod that’s similar to the Tesla because I really enjoy it.
I personally would not use it. The "safety" of a regulated mod could be compromised if the circuitry isn't in tip top shape.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
could it be their specific products or just a faulty one?
I think it's a dud, personally never had any problems with teslas and the only thing I did hear about was some problems with a lose battery door on a copper style nano 120W. Most likely yours was assembled in a faulty way.

Kristina Wilk

May 17, 2018
It really sounds like there's some sort of manufacturing error in your device. I have the 2 battery WYE and never had any kind of strange smell (and, not to pat myself on the shoulder, my sense of smell is quite good).

Do you still have warranty on your WYE?
I'd replace it. It sounds like the mod (and perhaps, some transfer of "smell" to your other mod, if it's more faint and not being produced as much.

If it's under warranty and you've already ordered another one, inform the vendor and they can assist you.

Best of luck

Anna
Im not sure about the warranty because I can not find my receipt. I just replaced it with an Asmodus Colassal with has a similar battery casing and door and all three batteries still produce same faint smell... I’m kind of lost

EverythingEvil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2014
Grand Junction, Co
I'm not sure but, if the contacts in your mods are copper you might be smelling oxidized/oxidizing copper. My Sigelei has kind of a strange smell on the inside of the battery compartment as well but its never malfunctioned or concerned me. Metals tend to react when they are close together and are conducting electricity sometimes producing faint metallic smells. It could be nothing, but if it smells like something burnt or melting I would be worried.

Reactions: Kristina Wilk

Mr. Relentless

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2017
Circuit boards have plastic or epoxy insulators that give off a new car smell. Like when you un box a new tv or new electronics you can smell this. In time it should fade but heating them up will make the smell stronger. If it's a fairly new mod or one that hasn't been chain vaped before to get the board to that temperature I wouldn't worry. If you've had it for months and just started smelling this then you could have other problems.

Kristina Wilk

May 17, 2018
I'm not sure but, if the contacts in your mods are copper you might be smelling oxidized/oxidizing copper. My Sigelei has kind of a strange smell on the inside of the battery compartment as well but its never malfunctioned or concerned me. Metals tend to react when they are close together and are conducting electricity sometimes producing faint metallic smells. It could be nothing, but if it smells like something burnt or melting I would be worried.
Circuit boards have plastic or epoxy insulators that give off a new car smell. Like when you un box a new tv or new electronics you can smell this. In time it should fade but heating them up will make the smell stronger. If it's a fairly new mod or one that hasn't been chain vaped before to get the board to that temperature I wouldn't worry. If you've had it for months and just started smelling this then you could have other problems.
The Tesla is about two months old maybe less and the Colassal was just bought earlier today. I do tend to chain vape and the smell only appears after it gets warmed up. It only lingers on the actual battery for 30 seconds to a minute. I hope it’s a new car smell because I’m not using them right now and that’s a little over $100 down the drain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread