Battery turning itself on

Status
Not open for further replies.

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
there are two types of 901 batteries.. they come from two different factories..

there is small number stamped on the brass positive terminal.. its hard to see with the naked eye but its there..

the original dse 901 has SLB on it.. these are all white..

the other ones which used to be called something starting with the letter R but are now called dse 901s have the letters SH on the end.. these are the coloured ones but they are also white..

two different batteries from two different factories.. look at the lettering to see which is which..

trog

Dale

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2008
Mt. Baldy, CA USA
Three second cutoff seems rather severe... maybe they got too many complains about burned-out atomizers and tried a redesign... but unless your atomizer is clean-and-perfect three seconds seems hardly enough time for a decent drag. Like the others said... push a paperclip gently into the hole on the battery end, or maybe try blowing into the battery to set the switch firmly "off."

Since I got my Screwdriver I've become a big fan of the whole manual switch idea... but different strokes, I guess. Some people prefer form over function.

Schroedinger's cat

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2008
North Carolina, USA
When I opened the box of my Janty classic, all the batteries were on, which startled me. Jeff said that it was the air movement caused by the opening of the box. When I open the little pouch where I carry them around, they also come on. However, I don't think that they ever turned themselves on while in my pocket, although one did while falling from my hand (but then air would be passing through it, I guess). They are a little eager, but they have not caused me any problem. What you describe sounds worse, though. If you trust your seller (as I trusted Jeff at Janty), ask them if this is normal or not. Jeff suggested I carry them disassembled, but I never bothered, after I checked them randomly for the first day.

Schroedinger's cat

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Thanks for the warning, Soot, but I have a classic (a penstyle) not a Kissbox. I know those can turn themselves on with loud music, but mine does not seem to do that (although I have not really tested it that way). I keep it in my shirt front pocket, mainly, and there was never any worrying heat in that area, nor any burning taste, so I think I've done OK so far.....

yo han

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2008
the Dutch mountains
It's no problem when batteries are lighting up as long as they're not attached to the atomizer. It's just a sign the switch is very sensitive but as long as the current can't go anywhere the LED is the only thing using up power. But it's a good idea to carry such sensitive batteries apart from the atomizer to avoid holes in your pocket.

Soot

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
Belfast, UK
Smoking my Janty on a cord doesn't bother me at all - when working at the computer you don't notice. What you DO notice is the lack of problems with failing power - well - kind of. The USB link on Janty passes through a battery box and when the battery dies so does the USB power - this is a pain. There are work-arounds but the Janty comes with a guarantee that'll be invalidated if you try them.

fuzzypeg

Oct 30, 2008
A similar thing happens with my batteries. They seem to be fully charged, as the light on the charger turns green, but when I try and vape, the battery end flashes about 6 times, turns off and the atomiser and battery get so hot they burn my fingers. This is happening with all my atomisers and batteries, I can't get even one to work. :( I'll have to buy some paperclips!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread