battery venting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
exactly how hard is it to vent a battery?
i have lots of experience building coils and testing for ohms and shorts.
i understand the limitations of my batteries
do i really need a fuse? i understand a fuse (circuit protection) is considered a required part for a complete circuit, but given the constant checking and maintenance i would be preforming is it really necessary?
so tell me, how many times have you vented a battery on an un-protected circuit? and what did you determine to be the cause?
im starting to mess around with a mech mod and some 18650 30 amps batteries.. not going for sub ohms but i know things can go wrong at any rate.
thanks for your input!

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I always wondered the same thing. I had a battery vent on me for the first time during this last summer. I was lost driving around in a panic on 100 plus afternoon without air conditioning.

I was trying not to vape too much, as it was so hot in the car and my atomizer was getting hot and the heat seemed to be spreading down my mechanical mod.

I put it down on a towel that I keep so it doesnt roll around or get scratched , as I picked it up I noticed that it was all loose, Its a telescopic device, and thought what the heck.

At the next light I tightened it up took a drag and put it down. Again I picked it up and it was all loose. I didnt use it till I got home. I took it apart and noticed my battery looked odd. I saw that at the neg end it looked as though there was rust and it smelled funny.
I told someone and they told me it sounded like the battery vented and my mod did exactly what it was supposed to do in case of a battery venting. It just expanded and let the gasses out safely.

Scary thing but I thank goodness it vented safely and didnt become a pipe bomb on me. Mod was fine as well as my atomizer. Needless to say, I threw the battery out properly.

Just make sure you are running your resistance in accordance to the safe outputs of your batteries and make sure your mod has ventilation so it doesnt explode, make sure your ambient temp is safe and you dont leave your mod in a parked car in high temps.

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
Personally I wouldn't use a mech without either a good hot spring or a fuse.

Why not use one, is the flipside of the coin? If you aren't going for sub-ohm, it isn't going to cause any appreciable loss of battery life.

There are some nice looking ones out there these days too

Meet The Bug | atmizoo vaping modware (no personal experience with this - but the specs are appealing)

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
you can go to you tube and a few other enthusiast forums (mainly flashlights) and pull up tests and videos where they purposely push very hard to get some of the better imr and hybrid chemistry batteries to fail, with very unexciting results. direct shorts, damaging the cases severe abuse. almost nothing happens in most cases.

this changes when you get to the ICR class which vent with flames as the cobolt catches fire. with several cases of failure with injury.

no battery is 100% safe but the IMR/hybrids we are using now are probably the safest Li batteries have ever been, this is why it is important to always buy top quality from a known brand and reseller.

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
if the general consensus was something like, "if you don't run a fuse, be prepared for a battery to vent in your rig at some point" i would run a fuse. but im fairly confident in my ability to build a relatively safe circuit. and this device wont leave my house much. i have rewired entire cars before, including modifications to the printed circuit boards in the ECU.
i just didn't know enough about these batteries to make a solid call in this situation.
thanks for your help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread