How to know if a battery is venting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
So i was reading about how battery venting can cause explosions and how the gasses release from the battery so quickly that there's nothing one can do when it happens except use it like a hand grenade [emoji14]
And then when i was vaping i noticed my mod was getting hotter than it usually does(made me wonder if i was holding a ticking grenade too).
I mean i know that after a battery had vented it looks and smells weird but how do you get to know when it's happening to you while vaping?
I thought i should ask you guys about it.
Thanks in advance for any inputs and suggestions. :)

Edit- i use an 18650 lg hg2 with the al85 and baby beast on a .6 coil and vape at around 30 to 40w.

Last edited:

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
What power device?
What delivery device?
What battery are you using?
What power level?

Most decent power devices have sufficient ventilation to release pressure & avoid rupture / explosion in case of a battery venting inside.
Sorry i should have mentioned the details as well. I'll make the edit in the post. But I was looking more for a general answer irrespective of the devices and batteries being used.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
A tube mech mod with no or inadequate venting = pipe bomb = explosion
Vented, regulated or mech = very violent fizzle
There are many You Tube vids
See I'm looking for the early signs so that i can throw that thing as far away from anyone in the vicinity as possible and make sure the explosion happens in a safe environment.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Hey i agree. Look at the details in the edit. How much safer can i get?
But things can happen unexpectedly right?
So i thought having the knowledge never hurts.

IF your Lg hg2's are authentic bought from a reputable vendor / dealer, at 30w - 40w about as safe as it gets.
Warm = normal, heat is a warning, hot = not good.
Hot meaning uncomfortable to hold / touch.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
Remove the battery & feel it?
I've read that there's not enough time to unscrew the battery cap on most of the mods if something like this happens.
Best thing to do is buy cells only from reputable vendors / dealers.
Even good batteries have chance of going bad...no?
At 40w, you're drawing at most 13a (probably less) from an 18ish amp CDR cell.
Barely touches 8amps for me :p (I'm still a newbie, so even at those readings the vape feels too hot sometimes)

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
As long as you don't treat the batteries like the one in the video, you shouldn't blow up whatever it was they did in that video (what was that, I couldn't tell with all he pieces flying everywhere?).

Something like that with a regulated mod is exceedingly difficult to achieve as so many things would have to go wrong at the same time. Then again, what happened at the Fukushima nuclear reactors was exceedingly difficult to achieve, but who knew a tsunami taller than the barrier they built would hit them?

Not to be flippant about it, but no one can tell you something can never happen. However, the likelihood is small enough that outside of buying authentic batteries, maintaining my mods in good shape (no throwing against walls to knock things inside around), and charging safely, a battery venting is low on my list of things to worry about.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
As long as you don't treat the batteries like the one in the video, you shouldn't blow up whatever it was they did in that video (what was that, I couldn't tell with all he pieces flying everywhere?).

Something like that with a regulated mod is exceedingly difficult to achieve as so many things would have to go wrong at the same time. Then again, what happened at the Fukushima nuclear reactors was exceedingly difficult to achieve, but who knew a tsunami taller than the barrier they built would hit them?

Not to be flippant about it, but no one can tell you something can never happen. However, the likelihood is small enough that outside of buying authentic batteries, maintaining my mods in good shape (no throwing against walls to knock things inside around), and charging safely, a battery venting is low on my list of things to worry about.
Thanks for the input :)
Feeling reassured, especially after watching that video.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I've read that there's not enough time to unscrew the battery cap on most of the mods if something like this happens.

Barely touches 8amps for me :p (I'm still a newbie, so even at those readings the vape feels too hot sometimes)

smoke coming from the battery vent holes of your mod is noticeable, and happens prior to any battery explosion. If you see smoke, this is when you take your mod outside quickly.

This said.. fear. If we lived every second of our lives in fear of being hurt, we would never live. We wouldn't drive a car, take a shower (people slip and fall in them) we wouldn't leave our houses because we could get robbed / hit by a vehicle / raped. We certainly wouldn't farm, as cattle can hurt you and so can the heavy equipment that you have to use, and we would never get married because our spouse can turn into a violent ......... and of course, child bearing is out of the question because it can kill you, even in this day and age. And you can forget eating the majority of all food.. God knows it's deadly.

If you do any of the above, then learn battery safety and live a happy life, smoke free because you vape. Ill tank a chance with batteries before the certainty of the harms of smoking..

But that's just me. I prefer to live, and I don't dwell on what might have been, or what could happen.

but then, I've been in car wrecks, had a violent ....... for a first husband, died in childbirth (and was revived), broke my back, been rammed by an angry cow and more.. lived through it all though, and live a happy life with a smile on my face every day. Better to live well than to exist in a bubble.

Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I've read that there's not enough time to unscrew the battery cap on most of the mods if something like this happen

If you use quality name brand cells from a reputable source with a sufficient CDR for the power range (regulated) or resistance range (mechanical), don't abuse them and practice basic battery saftey you'll have no problems.

Yep, and if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his .... every time he hops.
If you don't understand basic battery saftey might be time to slow down until you do.

The 8 amps shown on the display screen is output to the delivery device, it has nothing to do with input amp demand from battery to chip, regulator, magic gizmo board.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
smoke coming from the battery vent holes of your mod is noticeable, and happens prior to any battery explosion. If you see smoke, this is when you take your mod outside quickly.

This said.. fear. If we lived every second of our lives in fear of being hurt, we would never live. We wouldn't drive a car, take a shower (people slip and fall in them) we wouldn't leave our houses because we could get robbed / hit by a vehicle / raped. We certainly wouldn't farm, as cattle can hurt you and so can the heavy equipment that you have to use, and we would never get married because our spouse can turn into a violent ......... and of course, child bearing is out of the question because it can kill you, even in this day and age. And you can forget eating the majority of all food.. God knows it's deadly.

If you do any of the above, then learn battery safety and live a happy life, smoke free because you vape. Ill tank a chance with batteries before the certainty of the harms of smoking..

But that's just me. I prefer to live, and I don't dwell on what might have been, or what could happen.

I've been in car wrecks, had a ....... for a first husband, died in childbirth (and was revived), broke my back, been rammed by an angry cow and more.. lived through it all though, and live a happy life with a smile on my face every day. Better to live well than to exist in a bubble.
WOW. A very good point, very well made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread