Battery with aga-t

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiNet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
Israel
So... for no apparent reason tried rebuilding coil using ego battery, not VV... just that simple eGo CE5 battery from starter kit.
I can make coils glow evenly in 3 minutes on it... no sparkling going on ever while working on it...
I put it on my vamo and it's hotspotting, sparkling and popping coil... ...?!
I didn't get VAMO, I've ordered ego vv apv v2, can this be an issue? Or is it normal that genesis acts differently on different batteries?

p.s. Now I see why tutorial vids are so short and successful in parts where you get rid of top hotspot...

Trick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2012
Round Rock, Texas, United States
What voltage/wattage do you have it set for?

If it's above 3.7V, it's not the Vamo -- it's the higher voltage you're cranking through it. That said, it's also possible it's the Vamo. The Vamo doesn't actually send 3.7V to the atty... it sends 6 volt bursts, timesliced to average out to 3.7 volts. It should work out about the same as far as the coil is concerned, though.

Xylocaine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Well it could be the voltage your vaping at, a regular eGo runs around 3.2-3.6v if your vaping your Vamo/Not Vamo? at say 5v your definitely going to see a lot more heat being generated a lot faster. I have to push my Vamo upwards of 10-12 watts and pulse it for a bit to start seeing my center coil begin to light up. You may also have a short somewhere that is not being picked up by a regular eGo. There is a video around using a cigarette paper to create a layer of carbon between your coil and your wick. Over all there is a lot we would need to know, what type of wire your using, the resistance of your coil, wicking material (i can only assume SS Mesh?) but generally if your popping coils it means there is a short.

DiNet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
Israel
SS mesh 400, A1 awg 32 kanthal.

All of this is meant when building wick :)
Pulsing it on 3 volts or watts on vamo to adjust coils...
My post refers only to building part, after it's working it'll work for some time.

Is that "sending 6 volts" specific to vamp hardware? Seems like latest mods of this kind are running on same HW, I assume this from pbusardo's reviews.

p.s. Coils glow evenly on ce5, I put it on vamo = hotspot, put it back on ego = hotspot...
This is without adjustments and on lowest volt possible.

Trick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2012
Round Rock, Texas, United States
Is that "sending 6 volts" specific to vamp hardware? Seems like latest mods of this kind are running on same HW, I assume this from pbusardo's reviews.

It's inherent in the circuitry used in the Vamo, which is also used in other devices. I haven't really tested other lower-end VV/VW devices to see if others work the same way. I know Provaris don't have the same spike effect, but I don't know if, for example, the Vamo does.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
So... for no apparent reason tried rebuilding coil using ego battery, not VV... just that simple eGo CE5 battery from starter kit.
I can make coils glow evenly in 3 minutes on it... no sparkling going on ever while working on it...
I put it on my vamo and it's hotspotting, sparkling and popping coil... ...?!
I didn't get VAMO, I've ordered ego vv apv v2, can this be an issue? Or is it normal that genesis acts differently on different batteries?

p.s. Now I see why tutorial vids are so short and successful in parts where you get rid of top hotspot...

The ego apv 2 is the Vamo - it has more than one name. I have two of the Ego APV2 myself - or Vamos.
I build my coils and test them on the Vamo all the time. There is not 6 volts hitting the coils - they just need to be adjusted if they have hotspots. I start low at 3.4 volts, pulse, move up to 3.5 volts, pulse, move up to 3.7 volts. I check the resistance each step also to make sure its steaady. Once the coils are glowing evenly I change to variable wattage and vape. I have a 2.8 ohm coil going on the AGA-T+ now that I tested on the Vamo first.

Your coil may not be as stable as you thought. An standard ego is regulated at 3.3-3.4 volts. Its possible for a coil to look ok at those low volts. When I test mine on the Vamo they sometimes look ok at 3.4 volts. But when I up the voltage the hotspots show up. The Vamo is showing you the coil is unstable.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
It's inherent in the circuitry used in the Vamo, which is also used in other devices. I haven't really tested other lower-end VV/VW devices to see if others work the same way. I know Provaris don't have the same spike effect, but I don't know if, for example, the Vamo does.

It doesn't have this spike effect that you're talking about. His coil is unstable. There are quite a few people successfully using RBAs with the Vamo. I won't get into the science of it, but no, this is not a Vamo issue and it's not sending 6 volts to the coil and popping it.

Last edited:

DiNet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
Israel
Your coil may not be as stable as you thought. An standard ego is regulated at 3.3-3.4 volts. Its possible for a coil to look ok at those low volts. When I test mine on the Vamo they sometimes look ok at 3.4 volts. But when I up the voltage the hotspots show up. The Vamo is showing you the coil is unstable.

That's the weird thing... it will hotspot instantly on 3 volts even if it works perfectly on ego battery... freshly charged ego battery.
Or it will glow evenly and perfectly till there ejuice on wick, than it will hotspot, sparkle and pop.

p.s. oxidised and non-oxidised, petar-k or not. No matter what I do there's same effect. Yesterday had working coil for 2 hours and that is it, can't reproduce anymore.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
That's the weird thing... it will hotspot instantly on 3 volts even if it works perfectly on ego battery... freshly charged ego battery.
Or it will glow evenly and perfectly till there ejuice on wick, than it will hotspot, sparkle and pop.

p.s. oxidised and non-oxidised, petar-k or not. No matter what I do there's same effect. Yesterday had working coil for 2 hours and that is it, can't reproduce anymore.

Ok - the obvious question - you have the Vamo in No 2 mode? If not, set it to No 2.
If you already have it in No 2, I'd say the Vamo voltage is more consistent. The fact that you can get it working until you add juice, and had a coil working for two hours means your problems are from the coil build itself.
So when you test it are you slowly upping the voltage each time? You've got hotspots showing up which could be for a number of reasons.

This thread is long but it covers just about every possible problem - its for the AGA-T+ but the issues will be the same:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...nyone-tried-aga-tiamat-plus-w-glass-tank.html

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
Actually, it does send out 6V - it is a 6V square wave. it is just done at a frequency or duty-cycle that, in effect, averages the voltage/wattage sent to the coil. Some devices, such as a Provari, have a higher frequency and additional circuitry that actually smooths out the square wave to an almost flat DC voltage. But yes, it is probably a coil issue.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Actually, it does send out 6V - it is a 6V square wave. it is just done at a frequency or duty-cycle that, in effect, averages the voltage/wattage sent to the coil. Some devices, such as a Provari, have a higher frequency and additional circuitry that actually smooths out the square wave to an almost flat DC voltage. But yes, it is probably a coil issue.

Hi dsy - its been debated - and yes its cycle peak is 6v. But it isn't popping coils - it cycles too fast to do that. If that were the case a lot of people using RBAs with the Vamo would not be able to. This is a coil issue, and I'd hate to see some-one not get the benefit of their mod by mistakenly believing it was the mods fault. Which is not what you're saying - but the OP needs help with the coil here.

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
Hi dsy - its been debated - and yes its cycle peak is 6v. But it isn't popping coils - it cycles too fast to do that. If that were the case a lot of people using RBAs with the Vamo would not be able to. This is a coil issue, and I'd hate to see some-one not get the benefit of their mod by mistakenly believing it was the mods fault. Which is not what you're saying - but the OP needs help with the coil here.

Hey, kiwivap - no debate here; I agree with you that it is a coil issue, I did not mean to imply that it was a device issue or popping coils. Simply pointing out that it does indeed have a 6V peak voltage that is averaged/mean averaged into a working coil voltage/wattage.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Hey, kiwivap - no debate here; I agree with you that it is a coil issue, I did not mean to imply that it was a device issue or popping coils. Simply pointing out that it does indeed have a 6V peak voltage that is averaged/mean averaged into a working coil voltage/wattage.

Agreed. Nice to see you again.

DiNet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
Israel
I also know that issue is with coil/wick! :)
And I'm making progress with that, slow but existing :D

That's just my observation about my vamo vs ego... And found that because I made aga-t work yesterday and thought why not get back to my did clone and try out to build it too, while vaping aga... so it took me about 5 minutes to make all coils glow perfectly evenly on unoxidised wick... on ego... stunned for a moment, put it on and the coil popped instantly on 3 volts... :)
So I thought maybe there's some connection between genesis tutorials, mechanical mods with single battery and success/ease of making those to work perfectly... vs my vamo on stacked 18350...

And from my point of view, new vaper, it does seem like most genesis are advertised with mech mods :)

And there's this sparkling going on too when on vamo, tiny sparkle in palces where coild touches wick. Never on ego...

Last edited:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
I also know that issue is with coil/wick! :)
And I'm making progress with that, slow but existing :D

That's just my observation about my vamo vs ego... And found that because I made aga-t work yesterday and thought why not get back to my did clone and try out to build it too, while vaping aga... so it took me about 5 minutes to make all coils glow perfectly evenly on unoxidised wick... on ego... stunned for a moment, put it on and the coil popped instantly on 3 volts... :)
So I thought maybe there's some connection between genesis tutorials, mechanical mods with single battery and success/ease of making those to work perfectly... vs my vamo on stacked 18350...

And from my point of view, new vaper, it does seem like most genesis are advertised with mech mods :)

Dinet what ohms are your coils? Mechanical mods are good for low ohm coils. The Vamo has a 1.2 ohm cut off. People like using the mechanicals when they build very low resistance coils. Also - you can use an 18650 with the Vamo. I do all the time. I'm using an AGA-T+ with my Vamo and its fine. You can use a mechanical to vape - but you can't regulate the voltage when checking the coil with a mechanical.

Last edited:

DiNet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
Israel
Dinet what ohms are your coils? Mechanical mods are good for low ohm coils. The Vamo has a 1.2 ohm cut off. People like using the mechanicals when they build very low resistance coils. Also - you can use an 18650 with the Vamo. I do all the time. I'm using an AGA-T+ with my Vamo and its fine. You can use a mechanical to vape - but you can't regulate the voltage when checking the coil with a mechanical.

Now vaping it on 1.8 ohms, range of my usual ohms is 1.7-2.5 ohms.
I know I can use 18650, I just don't got any of those, got 3 pairs of 18350 :)
Can't say it's bad right now either... just took me a lot more time to adjust coils vs eGo, and fact that I can't work on it using eGo because when it's on vamo it'll have hot spots on same or lower volts setting... that's what bugs me...
And of course that it "goes bad" with time and develops hot spots on vamo... I'm assured by many that it's coil/wick that is bad, this is thread was made just because that ego experience :)

Desperately looking for some kind vaper in Israel who can sit with me for couple of hours on this genesis thingy, while it's not yielding any results I'm jsut trying to figure it out with ecf/youtube and myself :)

Check your wick length. Mine was hitting the cap when i put it on and making a weirdness.

It's about 1-2mm shorter than center post :)

Last edited:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Can't say it's bad right now either... just took me a lot more time to adjust coils vs eGo, and fact that I can't work on it using eGo because when it's on vamo it'll have hot spots on same or lower volts setting... that's what bugs me...
And of course that it "goes bad" with time and develops hot spots on vamo... I'm assured from many that it's coil/wick that is bad, this is thread was made just because that ego experience :)

Ok. It does take some fiddling with the coils sometimes. It may take longer but it will be safer knowing there are no hotspots. Check out that thread I linked before if you need help - some very experienced RBA users there.

DiNet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
Israel
IMG_20130223_203733.jpg IMG_20130223_203725.jpg
This is what it look like before juice is on the wick...

Couldn't capture what it looks with juice, coil pops faster than my phone takes pics :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread