Battery Wrap - Does this look ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DallasLiza

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
One of my 18650 batteries had a snag so I did my first re-wrap. I thought I had it positioned well before turning on the hair dryer but seems I got way more wrap on the pos end than on the neg end of that Samsung 30-Q. Here it is next to an original wrap. There's not much wrap at all on the negative end. Do you think it's ok or should do over?

batt pos.jpg batt neg.jpg
batt pos.jpg
batt neg.jpg

DallasLiza

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Agreed. The negative end looks fine to me, although you may want to hit it with a little more heat to smooth out that wrinkle towards the top of your photo. Positive end will be fine as long as it makes good contact.
Ok, thanks. I'll do that right now. :thumbs:

DallasLiza

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
I agree with the rest. It looks fine to use, but keep an eye out for the extra material on the positive end catching and tearing. Nicks there are especially risky.

Congratulations on your first rewrap! It looks much better than mine did.
Haha, thanks. Now I'm thinking I'll probably use it once then re-wrap and do a better job.

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
North-Central PA (flyover country)
I haven't done it a lot, but am catching on. I got a batch of wraps that were just too long, and trimmed about 2 millimeters off of them before putting them on the battery to avoid too much material at the ends. I've also learned to hit them hard and fast with a lot of heat to melt/shrink the plastic before the battery warms up. At first I tried it slow and gradual and got a warm battery with un-melted wrap.

20210712_213832.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread