Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
AW is Andrew Wan, a former Panasonic employee who branched out to create his own "brand" of batteries. He allegedly has agreements with the major cell manufacturers to purchase first tier batteries from them. Not all batteries are created equal, so AW tests these batteries for quality. The best get chosen to be AW brand, and are re-wrapped as AW. Very respected brand. All cells are button top.

There are only a few battery manufacturers in the world who make their own "cells", including LG, Panasonic, Samsung, Sanyo, and Sony.

All the other brands on the market buy the second and third tier cells from those manufacturers and re-wrap them under their own brand, but these are "second and/or third tier cells" which did not meet the higher standards of the original manufacturer. So, in order to compete with the original manufacturers' batteries (first tier), these other companies feel obligated to publish specifications which are inflated to make them appear superior to those of the original manufacturer.

HemiHonda

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Arizona
AW is Andrew Wan, a former Panasonic employee who branched out to create his own "brand" of batteries. He allegedly has agreements with the major cell manufacturers to purchase first tier batteries from them. Not all batteries are created equal, so AW tests these batteries for quality. The best get chosen to be AW brand, and are re-wrapped as AW. Very respected brand.

There are only a few battery manufacturers in the world who make their own "cells", including LG, Panasonic, Samsung, Sanyo, and Sony.

All the other brands on the market buy the second and third tier cells from those manufacturers and re-wrap them under their own brand, but these are "second and/or third tier cells" which did not meet the higher standards of the original manufacturer. So, in order to compete with the original manufacturers' batteries (first tier), these other companies feel obligated to publish specifications which are inflated to make them appear superior to those of the original manufacturer.

Thanks you for the information

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
AW is Andrew Wan, a former Panasonic employee who branched out to create his own "brand" of batteries. He allegedly has agreements with the major cell manufacturers to purchase first tier batteries from them. Not all batteries are created equal, so AW tests these batteries for quality. The best get chosen to be AW brand, and are re-wrapped as AW. Very respected brand. All cells are button top.

I don't trust AW.
They inflate specs too.

AW 20A 2200mAh Button-Top 18650 Bench Test Results...only a 15A battery

Reactions: Toronnah

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country

One bad apple spoils the whole bunch.

Either they flat out lie about specs, or they lied about testing.

Once I'm lied to, my trust must be earned.
:)

IMHO they blew their reputation.
Edited to add:
I'm okay with using them, I just don't recommend them to new vapers that aren't knowledgable on the battery/rewrap/inflated spec game.

Reactions: Susan~S

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
IMHO they blew their reputation.
Edited to add:
I'm okay with using them, I just don't recommend them to new vapers that aren't knowledgable on the battery/rewrap/inflated spec game.
I agree with Susan~S. :thumb:

Just a couple of years ago AW was considered to be the top battery for vapers. In fact, they were the first brand to offer a high drain IMR battery on the market.

For IMR 18650 batteries, they've fallen a little behind LG, Samsung, and Sony as far as specs go. However, they still make the top 18490/18500 and 18350 IMR batteries on the market.

Still a top brand as long as they fit into your need profile. For example, if you are a tootle puffer, AW is among the best.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Still a top brand as long as they fit into your need profile. For example, if you are a tootle puffer, AW is among the best.
I agree, somewhat.
I can't rate a company that inflates the specs they print on their wrapper as a "top company".
AW built their rep because they test cells, which it seems they don't, or they do and inflate specs.
Pick your poison.

I said I have no problem using them, I just won't recommend them to new vapers.

There are better cells with legit specs available.
Why risk it?

Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread