been looking around for rebuilding wick and coils and have a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceude

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2010
california
Alright Like title says I have a few questions on rebuilding wick/coil for an atomizer. I got the idea for the wick and was going to try stainless steel but what I cant find is information about the coil, like what specifically im looking for and such. Id like to think I can pick the coil wire up at a hardware store or something but I might be mistaken.

Renzuli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2011
North Las Vegas
Welcome , but cotton is very prone to burning . You have to keep it wet all the time , or it will burn up . Silica is better choice for wick , especially as far as a Vivi-nova . You can usually find some Kanthal or Nichrome wire 32 gauge , on ebay , but if not you can google it . And no probably not at your local hardware store . As for stainless mesh ( for Genisis type atty's ) not a vivi-nova , you would use 400 mesh screen , again usually on ebay . Good luck . First couple wicks and coils take a while , but you will get better with practice . Takes me no more than two or three minutes to make a coil and wick for my re-buildables .

Flyer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Illinois

KTaylor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2011
Cape Coral, FL
Just got a phoenix atty as a starter until I can find/afford a genesis or odysseus. I found a great wick supplier but dont know if I'm allowed to post his link here. SS 400 mesh is around on ebay but EXPENSIVE. 40 buck for a square foot, however, that would probably last quite a while. Kanthal A-1 is all over ebay and some of the vape vendors sites if you search.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
The mesh company for mesh www dot the mesh company ,, or Mcmaster-Carr dot com,,,,,other wick and wire here too = Silica Wicks | The source of great supplies

Cotton is good to use but it has to be in the juice constantly, and it does not wick as naturally as well as silica does, in certain systems it may be good to use a piece of silica to wick the juice to the cotton coil, then have just the cotton at the coil if you can twist the silica to the ends of the cotton, or weave it in on either end then have an all cotton coil/wick.

Last edited:

disaster

Jul 28, 2012
Perth.WA
@mwa102464 the cotton for the coil and silica for the wiking might be a bit advanced for me right now. However I will keep it in mind for when I have time and feel adventurous ill give that a try.

Re-wicking with SS is far more advanced and expensive than having a go with cotton, which is much much cheaper, readily available and with little patience will offer you the best vaping experience.:)

Last edited:

ricklynchcore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2012
Chicago, Il
Re-wicking with SS is far more advanced and expensive than having a go with cotton, which is much much cheaper, readily available and with little patience will offer you the best vaping experience.:)

I am not so sure of this. I have tried every wick, carto, tank and whatnot, and for my taste, nothing is better than ss mesh wick. The taste is clean, maintenance is low for the wick once created, they last for months. No particulates to inhale. I never get a dry hit with ss mesh 400 and my genesis DID. A learning curve? Yes undoubtedly, but if you like to tinker, and take your time on the initial build, the reward in flavor and TH is enormous, in my opinion.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

meli.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Private Suite GroenDakkies
I am not so sure of this. I have tried every wick, carto, tank and whatnot, and for my taste, nothing is better than ss mesh wick. The taste is clean, maintenance is low for the wick once created, they last for months. No particulates to inhale. I never get a dry hit with ss mesh 400 and my genesis DID. A learning curve? Yes undoubtedly, but if you like to tinker, and take your time on the initial build, the reward in flavor and TH is enormous, in my opinion.

Hi, I saw this thread earlier, you should really read this:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/284030-wick-materials-safe-vs-dangerous.html

If the Big Guys are swapping across to cotton and other materials, it can't be all bad. Of course, it is a matter of taste and choice, but this thread makes for good reading. As one of the most popular threads on ECF they can't all be wrong? Or can they? ;)

I can't wait for my new kit to arrive, just so I can try it too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread