Beginner DIY Eliquid Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhysowen9

Oct 8, 2016
Hi All,

I've just started attempting to make my own eliquids.
I'm having massive problems and I'm hoping that I'm making an easily recognisable, rookie mistake that can be corrected easily.

Initially, I started trying to make an Element Watermelon Chill Clone, my recipe was:

20% PG
80% VG
3% Nicotine (100% VG)

10% Watermelon
3% Sweetener
2% Peppermint
2% Menthol
2% Koolada

The throat hit was absolutely unbearable...
So I thought I should go back to basics and instead tried to make a small 15ml, watermelon only batch:

6.25mg Nicotine Base (VG)
1.05ml Watermelon Flavouring
0.3ml Sweetener
5.11ml VG
2.29ml PG

All of my kit comes from DarkStar.
I let the eliquid sit, top off, for a day...
The throat hit, again, is unbearable...

I must be doing something ridiculously wrong!

rhysowen9

Oct 8, 2016
Hi Izan, cheers for the reply.

Watermelon and Sweetener are TFA, Nic Base is 7.2%
I'm using a Kanger Subtank Mini with a 0.5 Ohm coil running at 25W.
I'm aiming for 3% Nic strength.
Screenshot of my calcs attached!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161008-123247.jpg
    Screenshot_20161008-123247.jpg
    983 KB · Views: 75

Tee_Jay

Oct 16, 2015
I'm a newbie also. I'm confused about your use of percentage. when you say your base is 7.2%, what do you mean?

there are 1000 mg in 1g, and 1g of pg/vg weight is (about) 1 ml. So 7.2% is 72 mg/ml. no?

The easiest way to calculate nic content, without leaving it to formulas is to figure out how many mg of nic you put in, then divide that by the total volume of juice at the end.

Reactions: DaveP

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I'm a newbie also. I'm confused about your use of percentage. when you say your base is 7.2%, what do you mean?

there are 1000 mg in 1g, and 1g of pg/vg weight is (about) 1 ml. So 7.2% is 72 mg/ml. no?

The easiest way to calculate nic content, without leaving it to formulas is to figure out how many mg of nic you put in, then divide that by the total volume of juice at the end.

Yarp..
100% nicotine is 1000MG/ML
Consumer grade nic base is generally 10% (US market) or 7.2% (UK market). (100MG/ML or 72MG/ML respectively)
Finished juices tend to contain less than 1% nicotine. (10MG/ML)
Cheers
I

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
If you want to make a 3mg, 15ml base and your NIC is 72mg (7.2%) you should add .62ml's (just over half a ml) of NIC to your pg/vg base.

As far as trolls nope none around here. We just want to help. I once tried to make a cool vape just like you and used 20% menthol and nearly froze to death:) We've all been there.

Get a good e-juice calculator like in the link below. It will help a lot.

eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

And, from a long time vaper who recently entered the DIY juice crowd, remember that if you change the amounts of anything in your juice you just changed the nic level (experiential knowledge gained the hard way! ;)).

That can be a headache if you are trying to keep track of it all manually. A good ejuice calculator app will balance all that out for you based on the balance of components you originally set up, but you have to tell it when you change something and let it recalculate.

Last edited:
Reactions: IDJoel

Tee_Jay

Oct 16, 2015
Hi folks - I have another beginner question. I hope it's ok to post it here rather than start a new thread..

A while back i made my first batch of DIY. I used what turned out to be SK cigs brand nic/pg/vg. In the end i have 5 L of 20 mg/ml juice that is 60% pg / 40% vg.

The 20 mg was a compromise. I wanted lower nic but i went in with a buddy who wanted 24. My preference would have been 12. Stupid me - I didn't save any pg/vg and ordering it is a pain.

Can i cut it with water? I've seen people talk about it in threads here but only small amounts.. anyone tried a high percentage (like say, 40%) water? Sorry if it's a stupid question..

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Hi folks - I have another beginner question. I hope it's ok to post it here rather than start a new thread..

A while back i made my first batch of DIY. I used what turned out to be SK cigs brand nic/pg/vg. In the end i have 5 L of 20 mg/ml juice that is 60% pg / 40% vg.

The 20 mg was a compromise. I wanted lower nic but i went in with a buddy who wanted 24. My preference would have been 12. Stupid me - I didn't save any pg/vg and ordering it is a pain.

Can i cut it with water? I've seen people talk about it in threads here but only small amounts.. anyone tried a high percentage (like say, 40%) water? Sorry if it's a stupid question..
First no question is dumb....
40% is way too much water. Better off ordering more pg/vg.
:)

eta
Buy just enough pg/vg to mix whatever amount you want and put the 4 other litres in the freezer. It will keep.

Tee_Jay

Oct 16, 2015
Hi again .. I just answered my own question :)

I went to Shoppers Drugmart and found Life brand USP glycerine.. I tried it straight up, and wow! It's awesome! tastes sweet and feels perfect..

Then i mixed it 1/2 and 1/2 with my 60 PG/40 VG @ 20 mg/ml.. I guess that lands it at 30 PG/70 VG @ 10 mg/ml..

It's perfect now.. Still no flavouring in any of it..

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Hi again .. I just answered my own question :)

I went to Shoppers Drugmart and found Life brand USP glycerine.. I tried it straight up, and wow! It's awesome! tastes sweet and feels perfect..

Then i mixed it 1/2 and 1/2 with my 60 PG/40 VG @ 20 mg/ml.. I guess that lands it at 30 PG/70 VG @ 10 mg/ml..

It's perfect now.. Still no flavouring in any of it..
Glad you found your answer. I would just add, if you are unsure, try with a SMALL amount FIRST. As long as it isn't something dangerous; you will only be potentially wasting a few milliliters. Asking is never wrong but don't be afraid to try; just don't commit your entire inventory to an experiment. Trial and error is how most of us have learned/still learn. DIY is so subjective to begin with (flavor/taste especially). Baby steps, and small sample batches with lots of detailed notes, is what helps us to grow our understanding of what works best for each of us on an individual basis.

Water boils/converts to steam at significantly lower temperatures than most other ingredients found in e-liquid so it can cause significant popping, and spitting, if it is in excess and/or not thoroughly blended. I am happy you found a workable solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread