Beginner's Guide to Sub-Ohm Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trev1

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2013
CT/NYC
Great video! I'am one of those noobs who taken more risks in life aside from vaping with various different actions...substances etc...
So when it comes to vaping I go a bit balls to the wall.....anyhow this helped and I will def watch this again...because I have been trying a 3 wrap coil with a efest battery ...bully rba...sigeli 13b...and my hit is way too harsh and burnt tasty..even after fixing hotspots...so with that said I have much to learn and appreciate this video !

lordy

May 17, 2013
UK
www.youtube.com
No problem Trev; i used to be a bit extreme myself in my younger days... it catches up with you eventually! But yeah it's possible to vape extreme without putting yourself at an unnecessary risk. Knowledge is power and all that, and now you know, you can try again safely and actually get a far more enjoyable experience out of it

inter_ceptor00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Minor Details
Can I add that the age and quality of the battery should be taken into account too. My 2 y.o. AW 18650 would be unsafe for sub-ohm vaping because its age and usage has increased its internal resistance and the bottom of the battery is dented slightly from using it in my Zenesis which could potentially be a factor in a disaster. The dangers with sub-ohm comes from that perfect storm of small problems that could occur with your mod, battery and coil that by themselves aren't major but together equals rocket-mod or worse, a pipe-bomb.

Check the post on your atty too, make sure the insulator is intact.

iborn4music

Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Gilbert, AZ
Honestly, this was sorta helpful, but it doesnt really help someone get started much. For me, a complete beginner, I dont even understand what makes the ohm a certain level. How do I even know what ohm resistance I'm starting at or ending up with? I just ordered myself an Efest IMR18650 2000mAh 3.7v battery with high discharge rate. I'm planning on putting it in a Smoktech Magneto and I ordered a IGO-W that supposedly comes with wire, wick, and all necessary parts. I was planning on hooking up a double coil setup and start vaping, however I'm planning on having a friend who already has one of these set up the coils. I have no clue if this battery is a correct one or not, but people seem to like it. Anyone wanna explain to me what I have going on and/or more about how to set these up? Your video talked more about the dangers and specifications you need than how to get them and how it works. Not very helpful for a complete beginner tbh.

Last edited:

inter_ceptor00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Minor Details
There's a large learning curve forcefully associated with sub-ohm vaping. The fact you aren't sure how to measue the ohm's shows that you still need to learn more about the whole operation of your setup. A mech mod and topper like the igo basically allow the battery to operate nearly unrestricted in terms of how much energy you can pull out of it. You need a multimeter and some practice to learn how to measure the resistance (ohm's) of your coil. This number and some simple math allows you to determine the amperage draw of your setup. I don't have the battery chart, but one exists that lists the maximum amperage draws for the various batteries. Your batteries should be fine for sub-ohm but only to a certain level. They might not be safe in your setup with 2 .6 ohm coils running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread