Bench Retest Results: Golisi Black S35 30A 3750mAh 21700...accurately rated, LiPo chemistry

Status
Not open for further replies.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
We have to be careful about using the case temperature to judge though when pulsing at high current levels. There is hotspotting in cells which spreads out to fairly low temps once it reaches the case. Pulsing at high current levels also causes accelerated aging of certain compounds, without a huge temperature rise, but I don’t remember which.
The hotspotting can be mitigated by taking shorter hits and by giving it time to spread out before you take your next hit. vaping at higher wattage is associated with taking shorter hits, as battery capacity degradation rates are mitigated by lung capacity. :D

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
But isn´t it, what we are mostly talking about? The batteries should be as safe as we can have, in order to eliminate any dangerous events, that can be caused by a faulty hardware.
IMO as long as we can not varify and compare details of the manufacturer with the "branded" battery, we can not give this battery any recommendation.
After Mooch's testing the new Golisi S35 is relatively safe up to 40A continuous.
I won't deny that the performance for mechmods sucks at this level and cyclelife will be unacceptable for most users, but nevertheless this cell can handle it without going into thermal runaway. And that is something which can't be said for a lot of cells out there, most of all if you compare it to other cells with equal capacities.
If you want max amps and performance, you will always have to sacrifice capacity and/or cyclelife.
If you want max capacity, you will always have to sacrifice CDR and therefore safety.
If you want max safety though, you get neither of the above and you shouldn't even use LiIon cells as a whole in the first place.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
After Mooch's testing the new Golisi S35 is relatively safe up to 40A continuous.
I won't deny that the performance for mechmods sucks at this level and cyclelife will be unacceptable for most users, but nevertheless this cell can handle it without going into thermal runaway. And that is something which can't be said for a lot of cells out there, most of all if you compare it to other cells with equal capacities.
If you want max amps and performance, you will always have to sacrifice capacity and/or cyclelife.
If you want max capacity, you will always have to sacrifice CDR and therefore safety.
If you want max safety though, you get neither of the above and you shouldn't even use LiIon cells as a whole in the first place.
You can still always pick a mod that uses a bigger number of batteries, and/or use multiple vape setups to be able to continue to chain vape whilst your other setup is resting. Or else just go back to smoking combustible tobacco. :eek:

Robin Becker

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2018
Berlin

No, Mooch test shows only, that this battery can deliver the current in each first, or maybe second cycle. The safety issue starts usually after some time, at least in Li-Pol according to my experience.
If this battery is a great option for vapers, I will have no objection, however we are talking here about unknown manufacturer with unknown chemistry.
For heavens sake I would prefer such a battery on the known manufacturer, if they can offer an alternative.
I found this thread that explain in simple words important issues on Li-Pol: Puffed Lipo Battery: Why they swell and what to do about it • LearningRC

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
No, Mooch test shows only, that this battery can deliver the current in each first, or maybe second cycle. The safety issue starts usually after some time, at least in Li-Pol according to my experience.
If this battery is a great option for vapers, I will have no objection, however we are talking here about unknown manufacturer with unknown chemistry.
For heavens sake I would prefer such a battery on the known manufacturer, if they can offer an alternative.
I found this thread that explain in simple words important issues on Li-Pol: Puffed Lipo Battery: Why they swell and what to do about it • LearningRC
The safetyissues always start after the cells have been used, because all of them deteriorate. And we don't know at which rate they do so, nor do we know the exact chemistry of any cell out there.
All we know is, that all "modern cells" use some kind of hybrid chemistry. Even those from the Big4.
What's most important here is, is that you just can't beat physics. So with less reactive, aka safer materials, you can't deliver the same performance than with more reactive or more volatile materials.
Because of that it's a safe bet, that this S35, the Samsung 40T and the Sanyo 2070C aren't that far apart when it comes to chemistries.
Nevertheless most of them are much more advanced and inherently safer than most cells from a few years back.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Just for the record, I do not recommend using this cell at over its 35A rating.
    The higher the discharge current level the more its performance will suffer, the more you are
    accelerating its aging, and the more risks you are taking. Many will do it, of course. We can each can choose how we vape.

dripster

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2017
    Belgium
    If something can be done, that doesn't mean it should be done of course.
    Nor does that mean it should never be done.
    Drawing that many amps is plain stupid, not only because you overstress the cell and reduce its cyclelife, but the vapequality will suffer as well, due to the cell's much lower voltage at these levels.
    I wouldn't go as far as to call it stupid. Most mech users who vape on a single battery mech vape it around .1 ohm, significantly above the CDR of their chosen battery, yet, despite this, more accidents are caused by regulated mod users when compared to mech users. Most regulated mod users rely their personal safety on the built-in safety features of regulated mods. This, then, typically in the vast majority of cases, creates a false sense of security, which is inherently far more dangerous than knowing the risks and understanding the risks, and mitigating them by correctly applying that particular knowledge to create the kind of safety that, although it is still only relative safety of course, is genuine and real.

As for overstressing the cell and getting reduced cycle life, that depends on your own personal definition of overstressing and how much you are willing to spend on new batteries. Remember batteries are dirt cheap, and, last time I checked, vape quality wasn't the same thing as voltage. (Even, if you think that's plain stupidity.)

• Disagree
    Reactions: mimöschen

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    Most regulated mod users rely their personal safety on the built-in safety features of regulated mods. This, then, typically in the vast majority of cases, creates a false sense of security, which is inherently far more dangerous than knowing the risks and understanding the risks, and mitigating them by correctly applying that particular knowledge to create the kind of safety that, although it is still only relative safety of course, is genuine and real.
    Most regulated mods have protections that you can't make a battery explode. They have protections like:
    • Reverse battery protection
    • Weak battery (not high enough amp rating)
    • Short circuit protection
    • Over voltage and under voltage protection
    • Over heat protection
    Pretty tough to have a mishap with a regulated mod.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016
    ...for overstressing the cell and getting reduced cycle life, that depends on your own personal definition of overstressing and how much you are willing to spend on new batteries. Remember batteries are dirt cheap, and, last time I checked, vape quality wasn't the same thing as voltage. (Even, if you think that's plain stupidity.)
    LiIon cells are highly toxic special waste that noone is able to recycle. At least it's not cost effective to do so, so noone does it.
    To squander them for no additional gain save for bolstering up someone's ego, that is something I'd indeed call plain stupid.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016
    Most regulated mods have protections that you can't make a battery explode. They have protections like:
    • Reverse battery protection
    • Weak battery (not high enough amp rating)
    • Short circuit protection
    • Over voltage and under voltage protection
    • Over heat protection
    Pretty tough to have a mishap with a regulated mod.
    Most accidents with regulated devices happen due to shortcircuits because of torn wraps, and/or charging the cells inside a mod with sub par charging capabilities.
    But yes, accidents with mechs are a lot more common.

• Agree
    Reactions: Robin Becker

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    LiIon cells are highly toxic special waste that noone is able to recycle. At least it's not cost effective to do so, so noone does it.
    Actually lithium is pretty safe (except being a fire hazard). Some local governments doesn't even classify lithium cells as toxic. Those other rechargeable batteries like alkaline, lead acid, NiCad, NiMH, etc are pretty toxic though.

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    Most accidents with regulated devices happen due to shortcircuits because of torn wraps, and/or charging the cells inside a mod with sub par charging capabilities.
    Even many regulated mods have this one covered too. Like some of them have nothing conductive that can touch the battery except the two battery connections. Just using some of the ones on my desk for example are: Aegis, Aegis Legend, Paranormal 250C, Therion BF 75C, and Topsides.

• Agree

dripster

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2017
    Belgium
    To squander them for no additional gain save for bolstering up someone's ego, that is something I'd indeed call plain stupid.
    Your remark of "no additional gain save for bolstering up someone's ego" has a far higher toxicity level than lithium ion rechargeable batteries have.

• Disagree

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    They don't contain only Lithium though;)
    Fluorine and Cobaltcompbounds are highly toxic for example. Same goes for a few other components that are common in these cells.
    Funny, fluorine is common in water supplies. And the CDC says: "cobalt is a naturally-occurring element that has properties similar to those of iron and nickel." And claims: "cobalt are naturally found in most rocks, soil, water, plants, and animals".

ATSDR - Public Health Statement: Cobalt

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread