Bench Test Results: Vapcell Black 38A 2000mAh 18650...bit overrated but incredible performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centurion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
East Coast USA
You might want to consider retesting these cells, ones being sold currently. I just picked up 14 of them on the mistaken understanding that these were better than the LG HB6 batteries I'd been using. While the nominal capacity of these is 2000 mah vs 1500mah on the LG, and your testing indicated these hit slightly better than the HB6 while also running cooler, I am forced to conclude that these cells just don't measure up to the testing results you got last year on the sample presumably provided by the company.

The reason I say this is simple: I use the same vape setup regardless of batteries. My device is a Wismec Noisy Cricket II, which has a now-rare variable voltage setup, and I use V8-T10 coils on a smok Beast TFV8. Batteries are remarkably consistent usually, with my LG HB6 batteries lasting me about a half a day of constant moderate-to-heavy vaping. Those HB6 batts will vape all the way down to about exactly 2.65V before they give up and the device blinks. That means I can vape all the way down to the bottom of their safe capacity and they hit perfect the whole time, with only the last 1 or 2 hits showing some struggle to give me a cloud. All my 10 pairs of HB6 batts hit the same on this device with this setup and they drain the same, perfectly. On the other hand, these alleged 38A batteries, authentic for sure, start giving crappy hits and need replacement when they're only at 3.7-3.8V. They don't elicit a low battery warning from the device, they just stop hitting hard enough. Every time I take them out of the device to recharge due to power output dropoff, they're at 3.7-3.8V, not 2.6-2.7V like the LGs.

Regrettably I don't have any charts or the ability to do meaningful tests on my own to quantify this other than just what I described above but even though I just blew 100$ on these new-fangled Vapecell batteries, I had to go and buy a bunch of LG HB6 batteries today because these just aren't giving me the sort of performance I would expect from a true 30A continuous battery.

I appreciate all the work that you do and the information you provide for all of us. I do not intend my post to be a criticism of you or your testing regime at all.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    You might want to consider retesting these cells, ones being sold currently. I just picked up 14 of them on the mistaken understanding that these were better than the LG HB6 batteries I'd been using. While the nominal capacity of these is 2000 mah vs 1500mah on the LG, and your testing indicated these hit slightly better than the HB6 while also running cooler, I am forced to conclude that these cells just don't measure up to the testing results you got last year on the sample presumably provided by the company.

The reason I say this is simple: I use the same vape setup regardless of batteries. My device is a Wismec Noisy Cricket II, which has a now-rare variable voltage setup, and I use V8-T10 coils on a Smok Beast TFV8. Batteries are remarkably consistent usually, with my LG HB6 batteries lasting me about a half a day of constant moderate-to-heavy vaping. Those HB6 batts will vape all the way down to about exactly 2.65V before they give up and the device blinks. That means I can vape all the way down to the bottom of their safe capacity and they hit perfect the whole time, with only the last 1 or 2 hits showing some struggle to give me a cloud. All my 10 pairs of HB6 batts hit the same on this device with this setup and they drain the same, perfectly. On the other hand, these alleged 38A batteries, authentic for sure, start giving crappy hits and need replacement when they're only at 3.7-3.8V. They don't elicit a low battery warning from the device, they just stop hitting hard enough. Every time I take them out of the device to recharge due to power output dropoff, they're at 3.7-3.8V, not 2.6-2.7V like the LGs.

Regrettably I don't have any charts or the ability to do meaningful tests on my own to quantify this other than just what I described above but even though I just blew 100$ on these new-fangled Vapecell batteries, I had to go and buy a bunch of LG HB6 batteries today because these just aren't giving me the sort of performance I would expect from a true 30A continuous battery.

I appreciate all the work that you do and the information you provide for all of us. I do not intend my post to be a criticism of you or your testing regime at all.

Perhaps they changed cells. If you are willing to send me a pair I’ll compare them to the ones I tested earlier.

Centurion

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    East Coast USA
    I would be happy to send you a brand new pair of these Vapecell batteries. I bought them all from Li-Ion Wholesale so they really should be authentic. If you want to private message me and give me an address I should send them to, I'll get them off to you, brand new and unopened, just as I received them last week. Much thanks, Mooch.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I would be happy to send you a brand new pair of these Vapecell batteries. I bought them all from Li-Ion Wholesale so they really should be authentic. If you want to private message me and give me an address I should send them to, I'll get them off to you, brand new and unopened, just as I received them last week. Much thanks, Mooch.

Thanks, PM being sent.

Centurion

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    East Coast USA
    Centurion, besides a pair of brand new Vapcell Black 2000mAh cells please send Mooch at least one of those pairs you know aren't living up to the expectations, just to be sure he gets some of the bogus ones.
    I look forward to the results of this. :pop:

Cheers :)
    Hi, Barkuti. I have 7 pairs. I have opened 5 pairs, with 2 sets of 2 unopened. I have no reason to believe that the unopened ones would perform differently than the ones I've been using. All were bought at the same time from the same reputable vendor and all of the 5 pairs I have been using have been performing identically. They start failing to power my .12 ohm V8-T10 coils adequately, I yank them and stick them on the charger, and they're always at 3.7-3.8V. I don't think these are bogus per se. I would guess that what's inside them has changed from what was inside the ones the company eagerly sent him to test. I hope the US Postal Service doesn't throw a fit when I answer 'yes' to their question about whether the package contains li-ion batteries. I assume that just means they ship them ground the whole way but I haven't tried to ship batteries to anyone since they got all weird about batteries just because some people's Li-Po's exploded or someone used a converter in place of a charger and overcharged their batteries til they popped.

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    Thanks for the information, Centurion.
    Dear Vapcell fellows, cell and wrap must maintain an unambiguous relationship deprived from unnecessary secrecy. I smell a spank coming over you, and for good reasons. :glare:

Cheers fellows :)
    P.S.: well, let's hope that unused pair's performance doesn't matches with Mooch's previous results, otherwise this test would take another round.

Centurion

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    East Coast USA
    Hi, Barkuti. I asked Mooch in pm if he wants a pair I've been using in addition to the brand new pair (with the nifty case it came in even). I'll do whatever he prefers. I don't want to double the work I'm asking him to do unless he thinks it's necessary though. I am curious too to see what he finds.

Centurion

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    East Coast USA
    well, let's hope that unused pair's performance doesn't matches with Mooch's previous results, otherwise this test would take another round.

Oh, I see what you're saying now. Well, sure, I'll send him the pair I just used yesterday as well as an unopened pair, unless he wants just the new pair. It's not like these particular batteries are precious to me, unlike last week when they arrived and I had high hopes.

Centurion

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    East Coast USA
    Hey, you know what? I think I may have nominated myself for a stupidity award. The Wismec Noisy Cricket II has a chip you can flip to make it work in series, regulated or unregulated, or in parallel. I mistakenly believed I had mine running in series with voltage regulation but on further inspection (well, on actually inspecting it I mean), I noticed the little 'P' facing up on the chip which told me I had my device set wrong when I observed this stuff about these Vapecell batteries. I expect this is what accounts for the stuff I observed, epic user error.

I'll post back after I've yanked a few pairs of these set up the way I thought I had my setup set up, and let you know. Apologies for my mistake and unintentional comedy of errors.

Centurion

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    East Coast USA
    Yeah, sorry about all this folks. I just pulled the first pair out when the device stopped firing. This pair lasted me from fully charged to device-wouldn't-fire for over a whole day; the LGs lasted about 2/3rds of a day when new, half a day after using them for a year.

I got strong hits all the way down to the end with no drop-off and when I popped the spent Vapecell batteries on the charger, they were at 3.42V, each of them, exactly. So that's actually better than the LG HB6 batteries, just as Mooch described, the ability to fire at whatever output I was vaping at, slightly further down than the LGs, which were toast when they hit 3.65V or so. Nice, nice batteries. Yes I will be holding onto them now as I have again deemed them of high worth to me. The LGs are damn fine batteries if you can't find these though or don't feel them worth the price premium.

Oh wait, they were at 3.42 V not 2.42V... hmmmm.. Well, anyway I guess I'll get a pair off to Mooch, two pairs. They all run the same. Though the Vapecells lasted longer in the device, they stopped firing while at 3.42V not 2.65V like the LGs... I don't really know which is better.

Reactions: stols001

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    samsung-20s__32587.1525194838.1280.1280.jpg

Samsung 20S 18650 2000mAh 30A Battery
    Source: New Samsung 20S 18650 Cell | BudgetLightForum.com

:)

• Useful
    Reactions: stols001
    Status