Status
Not open for further replies.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
The Diver, Diver V2, and the Killer 705 and subsequent Sophia are technically not cartos because they don't have the polyfill or the taste thereof. They are; however, carto-sized (9.2 mm x 35 or 45) and fit in carto tanks.

Can't they all fit in cartotanks add filler and mouthpiece?

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
Can't they all fit in cartotanks add filler and mouthpiece?

If by mouthpiece you mean drip tip, then yes, they use drip tips.

If you like the taste of carto polyfill (filler?), stick with disposable cartos. Unless you sleeved the coil in silica in one of these (which would be hard to do in the ceramic cup), it would burn any polyfill you stuffed in there. And getting filler in there would be hard to do with the Sophia.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
If by mouthpiece you mean drip tip, then yes, they use drip tips.

If you like the taste of carto polyfill (filler?), stick with disposable cartos. Unless you sleeved the coil in silica in one of these (which would be hard to do in the ceramic cup), it would burn any polyfill you stuffed in there. And getting filler in there would be hard to do with the Sophia.

I don't get what you are going to do with a Sophia in a carto tank if you don't get the filler in the carto, and the mouthpiece/driptip on top.

By the way I did not understand the statement: "If you like the taste of carto polyfill..." No I do not particularly like the taste of carto polyfill or other filler, do you?

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
I don't get what you are going to do with a Sophia in a carto tank if you don't get the filler in the carto, and the mouthpiece/driptip on top.

Watch this video.

By the way I did not understand the statement: "If you like the taste of carto polyfill..." No I do not particularly like the taste of carto polyfill or other filler, do you?

I don't. But that's the only reason I could think of you'd want to put it in one of these. I didn't mean any offense by that.

edit to add: Here's an English language Sophia review someone just posted in another thread.

Last edited:

BernieVideo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
NoHo El Lay CA
So the V2 Diver seems to be the first and so far only rebuildable carto ?

edit:

and sounds like the Sophia is another example of a rebuildable cartomizer?

These are NOT cartos. They are RBAs that closely match the size of a carto, so they can be used in carto tanks. From the revues they are a whole other experience in Vape and set up.

Tapatalking with my thumbs.
Join the CASAA.
Protect your Vaping Rights!

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
These are NOT cartos. They are RBAs that closely match the size of a carto, so they can be used in carto tanks. From the revues they are a whole other experience in Vape and set up.

Join the CASAA.

So can they be used in cartos or is it just they happen to fit in cartos but of no use in them?

I dunno; I'm looking at pictures concerning the Sophia, and it looks like a carto to me.

Langdell

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2008
As I mentioned in this thread I started yesterday, http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ething-about-clearomizers-vs-cartomizers.html, my experience has been that I get more flavor from cartomizers and practically no dry hits (especially using a carto tank and with the carto properly primed to start with) while with clearos I have gotten frequent dry hits and a less flavorful vape overall. Others' mileage may vary. (I note that I'm not at all into DYI or rebuildables, so I use components in their off-the-shelf form.)

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Durham, North Carolina, United States
Ah holy crap I didn't expect so many helpful comments. Thanks a ton guys. I'm gonna go ahead and buy a couple to try em out. At this point it seems like they will cost a tad more than rebuilding clearos on the long run (esp since I get dirt cheap wires from temco and I love recoiling my stuff). Hope that there's a significant improvement over quality clearos, if not I'm gonna be forking out some serious money for RBAs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
I just vaped all night on a cartotank then today put on my dripper and LOL, whoa, the flavor blew me away, was a good experiment un-planned I felt nostalgic reading many posts about carts lately....

Its hilarious you vape a cart all day its absolutely great then vape an awesome build on a dripper and know, :"there is no competition for a dripper.."

boborone

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2013
Plano, Tx
...snip...

Awesome man. And to answer your question. Yes you will get some that taste horrible. Yesterday I got one that vaped a flavor of burning wall insulation, fiberglass. It was a boge 2.5ohm 2x1mm punched carto. Took it back to my B&M today and they gave me another that vapes a dream like it should. It's just sometimes things don't work like they should.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

BernieVideo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
NoHo El Lay CA
So can they be used in cartos or is it just they happen to fit in cartos but of no use in them?

I dunno; I'm looking at pictures concerning the Sophia, and it looks like a carto to me.

OK, you are not understanding the difference between a carto (cartomizer) and a carto tank.

The cartomizer (carto) is the steel tube containing a coil and filler material (wick), in other words, the atomizer.
Carto come 2 ways, blanks, and prepunched.

Blanks have no wicking holes in the shaft. These can come prefilled with eliquid. (that is what is inside cigalikes, like the Blu) or empty. Empty blanks are used by screwing the carto directly onto a power source, you drip fluid into the carto (10 to 30 drops) then vape until the juice is used up, then you drip more in.

Prepunched (or slotted) cartos come with wicking holes along the shaft of the carto. (some people will punch holes in blank cartos using a drill, or dremmel, or carto punching tool) These are for use in Carto Tanks.

A Carto tank is a tube of plastic or glass, with end caps that either use o-rings or grommets to hold the carto in a tight seal. Eliquid is filled into the tank (anywhere from .5ml to 5ml) where it feeds the wick in the punched carto.

With me so far????

The advantages of a carto tank set up is the following

A lot of vapor
Great flavor
The fluid lasts a long time in carto tanks, so once you fill it, you can vape with it for a long time before having to refill.
Cartos are fairly cheap. Less than $2 each. They last from 1 to 4 weeks, depending on the eliquid, and other factors. When a carto starts to clog or not vape well, you throw it out and replace it with a fresh one. You keep the tank.
If a carto is set up properly (Primed) it is rare to get a dry hit.
If run at proper voltages, it is rare to get a burnt hit.

Still with me???

There are a few rebuildable coils (RBAs) that can be used inside carto tanks, that look a lot like cartos. Diver and Sophia are the brand name of 2 of these carto sized RBA. They are used inside a carto tank. They may look a lot like a cartomizer, but they are a very different animal. They can be built with much lower resistance coils than most cartos. They can be built with different wicking materials, none of which are similar to the wicking material in a carto.

Got it now?

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
OK, you are not understanding the difference between a carto (cartomizer) and a carto tank.

The cartomizer (carto) is the steel tube containing a coil and filler material (wick), in other words, the atomizer.
Carto come 2 ways, blanks, and prepunched.

Blanks have no wicking holes in the shaft. These can come prefilled with eliquid. (that is what is inside cigalikes, like the Blu) or empty. Empty blanks are used by screwing the carto directly onto a power source, you drip fluid into the carto (10 to 30 drops) then vape until the juice is used up, then you drip more in.

Prepunched (or slotted) cartos come with wicking holes along the shaft of the carto. (some people will punch holes in blank cartos using a drill, or dremmel, or carto punching tool) These are for use in Carto Tanks.

A Carto tank is a tube of plastic or glass, with end caps that either use o-rings or grommets to hold the carto in a tight seal. Eliquid is filled into the tank (anywhere from .5ml to 5ml) where it feeds the wick in the punched carto.

With me so far????

The advantages of a carto tank set up is the following

A lot of vapor
Great flavor
The fluid lasts a long time in carto tanks, so once you fill it, you can vape with it for a long time before having to refill.
Cartos are fairly cheap. Less than $2 each. They last from 1 to 4 weeks, depending on the eliquid, and other factors. When a carto starts to clog or not vape well, you throw it out and replace it with a fresh one. You keep the tank.
If a carto is set up properly (Primed) it is rare to get a dry hit.
If run at proper voltages, it is rare to get a burnt hit.

Still with me???

There are a few rebuildable coils (RBAs) that can be used inside carto tanks, that look a lot like cartos. Diver and Sophia are the brand name of 2 of these carto sized RBA. They are used inside a carto tank. They may look a lot like a cartomizer, but they are a very different animal. They can be built with much lower resistance coils than most cartos. They can be built with different wicking materials, none of which are similar to the wicking material in a carto.

Got it now?

You seem to have your 'blank' carto mixed up.
A blank carto has no eliquid.
A blank carto may be prepunched or you might have to punch it yourself.
A blank carto is for the purpose of using in a cartotank.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
The bottom line is that it truly comes down to personal preference, and there a many different opinions. For me, I greatly prefer cartos and carto-tanks. Many others can't stand them.

The best advice I can give is to try as many things as possible, then decide what's right for you. Trust me, when you "HIT IT", you'll know it.

Good luck and happy vaping!

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
I have no time to get into rebuilding at the moment, so I went the carto tank route and I'm very pleased I did. I won't be bothering to clean my cartos. I'll get a new one as one dies. Sine I made the switch from dual coil clearos (single coils were doing nothing for flavor for me anymore), I've been getting better flavor as well as vaping less liquid. My cartotanks don't go through liquid like the iClear 30 did. I still use my iClear 16b on my VV v3 for now, but I am planning to purchase a more slender, 15mm carto tank for that I think. I've got 3 19mm tanks for my MVP 2. Since I made the switch, I haven't had an issue with leaking at all. No gurgling, no burnt taste, no dry hits.... Even with bottom coils I got a dry hit once in a while, especially with the Mini Protank II's. I wish I started with carto tanks to begin with. I hav so many clearos that I don't know what to do with them now. Hubby may still use one here and there, but he's pretty much only sticking with the Mini Protank II's because they don't leak or gurgle for him. He may dive into my iClear 30b and 30 if he likes the 16b I got for him. He won't be taking the 16b that came with my MVP 2 Petal Energy kit though. Too girly, plus every once in a while I get a kick out of matching my MVP2 up with a matching clearo.

BernieVideo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
NoHo El Lay CA
I wonder how compatible the carto systems are.

I believe there is a standard carto size but maybe I'm wrong.

Cartos come in 2 lengths

Standard = 35mm not counting the 510 threads.

XL = 45mm

Carto tanks also come in those sizes, though with custom or hand blown glass tanks, there is some variance.

You cannot use a standard carto in an XL tank. You can use a XL carto in a standard tank but there will be 10mm of carto sticking out the top.

Carto tanks also come in different diameters. This only affects how much juice they hold and how they look on your mod

Join the CASAA.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Cartos come in 2 lengths

Standard = 35mm not counting the 510 threads.

XL = 45mm

Carto tanks also come in those sizes, though with custom or hand blown glass tanks, there is some variance.

You cannot use a standard carto in an XL tank. You can use a XL carto in a standard tank but there will be 10mm of carto sticking out the top.

Carto tanks also come in different diameters. This only affects how much juice they hold and how they look on your mod

Join the CASAA.

Less common there are cartos for devices with other threadings (808D etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread