Best 18650 ? AW - Trustfire - Ultrafire or Tenergy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I just had a bad experience ordering from DinoDirect (China based). I ordered 2 Ultrafires 3000mah and a charger. It's been 5 days and they didn't even ship yet so I filed a dispute w/ PayPal. No phone # and generic email answers with will get back to you in 24 to 48 hrs.
I want to buy AW 2900mah from Lighthound (Texas based) but they are $18.75 each battery. Is the quality really worth 3 times the price? I know I can get them cheaper from China but I won't deal with that issue again. Besides I can't wait 2-5 weeks for delivery.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
DinoDirect does not have a good rep.

2 Ultrafires 3000mah
Well those are a poor choice and cost more than they are worth (although deals can be found). TrustFires in general are better than UltraFires.

Is this the AW?

aw18650p29.jpg

Note the positive terminal, make sure it will work in your PV, you may need a little magnet.

They are good batteries, but are they worth the price?

I'd rather get 2 of these and a charger for about the same price of 1 AW. There are tested at, and are true 2400mAh. They get good reviews from the flashlight fanatics.

TrustFire Protected 3.7V 2400mAh 18650 Lithium Battery (2-pack)

And this charger is acceptable, although like most multi-cell units 18650's take a while.

TrustFire All-in-One Charger

The CustomSabershop is a good company to deal with.

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
I have all of the batts and have used all of the batts mentioned here.

I find the AW of high quality but I think my favorite 18650 is the Ultrafire Red 3000Mah batt from madvapes.. Good price and good performance. I have been using mine for over a year with still good charges and output ..

Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
WillyB thanks for tip! I'd read a few places that ultrafires were the ones to buy.
At the CPForums the UltraFires are not well liked, they tend to be very inconsistant, the red 3000mA is shunned there. They are OK in low drain applications, with higher ohm atties/standard cartos etc, but their very high internal resistance make them a poor choice for authentic Joye atties and anything LR.

Look at this 2A drain test.

Li-ion_186502atests.gif

Note where the UF 3000mA (brown line, third from the bottom) places and how quickly the voltage sags. You'll also note that it's 3000mA rating is grossly exaggerated.

Many vendors charge a premium price for these lackluster 2527mA performers. There are many better choices.

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks Willy, That's why I bought the TrustFires earlier this morning. The one you recommended, 2400mah. But I bought from Madvapes because they ship within hours of ordering. Already received an email that it shipped. And delivery is quick too. I read on the customsabershop that MOST orders ship within two days. I'm impatient.
Hey Willy the saber shop has some nice looking stuff. Have you ever tried to make a mod from their parts. A little expensive but nice looking. The switches look great. And most of what I looked at had no dimensions or specs.

Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Very nice stuff for sure, but the diameters are quite large, usually in the 1 1/4" + range, and the prices too high on the tubing stuff.

Here's a nice test comparing the AW 18650 2600mA Li-Ion to the TF Flame 2400mA.

I've superimposed them.

TrustFire_2400_AW2600.png

What you are seeing is 3 tests at 0.3A, 1A and the bottom is at 3A. The lighter colored lines are the AW.

The bottom 3A test is most interesting as one would assume in this tough test the AW would blow the TF out of the water... it doesn't. There is no significant difference between the two. And the extra mAh is meaningless as I at least would have changed out either battery long before they fell to 3.2V.

And as far as oft repeated general statement that the xxxxFires always lie about there mAh ratings here's a mAh test of the TF flame.

18650-trustfire-black-2400-prot-2499.png

Note that in this actual test the TF's rating is actually being understated.

As far as slick tubing for mods you may find this site interesting. :)

MARKSTAAR - Tubing - Category Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread