The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

best 18650 battery for provari

Discussion in 'ProVari' started by stardust, Sep 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. sfeltch

sfeltch Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 8, 2013
    Hanover, Pa
    Well,

That was a wealth of knowledge Technonut! Thank you. So the general consensus among quite a few mod makers is AW IMR is a proven safe, efficient battery. Cant argue with that.. Not just by Provari but others. Anyone know of any test results or data showing the inefficiency of other batteries in these mods? I would be interested in reading more on it.

Understand that I'm using AW's in my Provari because of the suggestion of the manufacturer. And the recommendation of Baditude whom I shared threads with prior to making my purchase of the Provari. And in the few days I have owned it I am not disappointed in either the Provari or the AW Batteries. Just seeking knowledge.

2. Technonut

Technonut Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    East Coast, USA
    No Problem... :) There's quite a few "shootout" comparisons around. I'll try to dig some up, but it may take some time...

3. chadsmo

chadsmo Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 16, 2013
    BC Canada
    I just use EFEST V2s in my Provari, 18350s anyways.

4. Technonut

Oct 11, 2010
    East Coast, USA
    The AW IMR 18350's are better batteries, and would last longer in the ProVari than than the Efest...

(Look under Discharge Capacity)

Battery test-review small summary

5. Technonut

Oct 11, 2010
    East Coast, USA
    Here's a site where you can choose 2 18650 batteries to compare with one another: (I only select the 5 amp test box for comparison, no others)

Battery test-review 18650 comparator

6. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I can attest to this. Tried a couple of 18350 Efests in my AW rotation. Within a couple of weeks I noted a gradual but progressive decrease in battery capacity during use. I finally removed them from my rotation they got so bad. I'm guessing Efest's source of batteries is inconsistant (they don't make their own, they re-wrap other's batteries and re-band them as their own). AW also buys from battery manufacturers, test and hand pick the best, and re-brand as AW.)

It's only AW from here on out for me.

7. EddardinWinter

EddardinWinter The Philosopher Who Rides Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 13, 2012
    Richmond, Va
    Well, there was a wealth of information there. I am not sure I fully understood it. Actually, I am certain that I did not. But it looks like a useful resource for someone with a bit more knowledge than this lion.

8. Relaxed5311

Relaxed5311 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Des Moines, IA, USA
    I see batteries and rotation's mentioned allot together is this just the process of using 4 batteries and charging them etc making sure to use #1, then #2, then #3, then #4, then going back to #1 etc?

9. Baditude

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    That would be the ideal. Having multiple batteries is less draining on a battery than say you use only two in rotation. Multiple batteries will increase overall lifespan if all other factors are equal. Batteries work best and have a longer life expectancy if allowed to rest after drainings and after charges.

I have six AW 18650 IMR batteries I rotate between my two Provari's and a VMod-XL. The Mini in 18650 mode gets used the most. Don't ask me why, it's just my favorite. It typically needs a replacement 18650 on a daily basis.

10. EddardinWinter

EddardinWinter The Philosopher Who Rides Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 13, 2012
    Richmond, Va
    Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the mini?

I got my second ProVari (supposed to be delivered TODAY) coming. Its a black full sized version 2.5. I got three 18490s with it and no extension cap, figuring that the normal mode would be like a mini for me since I always use my silver in extended 18650 mode. I just like the look of the full sized better.

Tapped out

11. Baditude

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I said don't ask me why, silly lion. :p

I use the mini in 18650 mode when at home, as well as my standard Provari in 18650 mode, to get away from so frequent battery changes. I also use the Tatroe bases while at home as they prevent clumsy tip-overs.

When I leave the house, the Mini gets converted into 18350 mode for easier portability and fitting into my front pants pocket. I also carry a couple of spares in a plastic battery case.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. xyanide

xyanide Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Orbtronic has excellent 18650 batteries based on panasonic cells. These hold their charge extremely well and are even safe to use in mechs.

13. marchingon

marchingon Full Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    I just ordered 5 extra AW IMR 18490s for my minis and 5 extra AW 18650s for my Provari. Question: Are the Tenergy TN270s on Provape's website good and safe chargers for these? I know there are "better" ones. But I don't leave batteries charging when I'm not in the room and I've used the Tenergys since I got my first Provaris months ago with no problem. Just need to get some more chargers since I'm stocking up on the AWs.

14. serenity21899

serenity21899 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 18, 2013
    Antioch IL
    I do the same thing, as I am often too lazy to get my butt off the couch to change batteries. But at work, I want the smallest size as it's more portable, and fits better in my purse. I have both the standard and the mini to get all size options, depending on what I am doing at the time. Also, when I got the standard, I swore I would never use a battery smaller than 18650. As usual, my opinion changed once I got the mini and decided I really liked it.

15. dice57

dice57 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 1, 2013
    Mount Vernon, Wa
    All I know is that it does the job as required. I use 3 batteries in rotation and I rarely use more than on slot, since I usually get a full day of vapping off a single battery. But if you think you'll be having to charge more than two at a time then I'd look at the models with 4 slots.

I'm thinking that the Tenergy goes into standby once battery is fully charged. I know I have charged a battery overnight with no problems.

As far as the discussion on buying different brands of batteries go, I can understand wanting a battery with more mha's but what I can't understand is okay, I more than willing forked out $200 bones for my Provari starter kit, but I'm not willing to pay a couple extra bucks for the battery the manufacturer recommends that will last a couple years till it needs replacing? I find that whole concept a bit oxymoronic.

16. slider

slider Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    Provari was built around the AW 18650. If a mod was built around a specific battery, I would use that battery.

17. dice57

dice57 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 1, 2013
    Mount Vernon, Wa
    Hmm, didn't know the mini could be converted into a 18650 mode, know the standard can. I was under the impression that the extender cap on the mini only allowed you to use the 18500 batteries without the extender then it's 18350. But then I've only had my provari for a few weeks. So what do I know. lol

18. Technonut

Oct 11, 2010
    East Coast, USA
    There are a few aftermarket extenders out there for the Mini:

Twins Extension

Tatroe Ring Provari Steel

Provari accessories - Gr-Modders

19. sawlight

sawlight Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 2, 2009
    Kansas
    I bought my min with plans on running 18650's in it, there are a LOT of options to do so. But after using a fullsize Provari in 18650 mode, no thanks! it's just too big for me!

20. Baditude

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID.

You must have girly girl hands. :glare:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.