Best affordable beginner RDA. Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taptapslide

May 2, 2015
Alabama
So I've been using an mvp pro (up to 60watts) with a sub ohm Atlantis tank. I'm wanting to get an rda but don't know where to begin. I know about them but I'm not familiar with battery safety etc.

My BIG QUESTION is:
Can I buy an RDA(based on your recommendations of course) and put pre built coils on it and wick them and be good to go? Or is there more to it than that? I want to be safe and would prefer to not get hurt. Lol

If that is ok to do what affordable beginners rda do you recommend. I would like a decent juice well and nice air flow.

Reactions: MikeyConti

MikeyConti

VapeBro
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2014
South Carolina
Need to find out what the safe Ohms range on your device is, how many Amps it puts out safely. Always remember Ohms Law when building coils Ohm's law | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators
You will need an ohm-meter to test the ohms of your RDAs coil before putting it on the MVP

This is just a tiny bit of info.. as said above do a lot of your own research.

Hightech Redneck

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2015
N C
Might start with a simple 2 post, or troll freakshow (as mentioned) are easy to build on. Do your research, youtube has Alot of coil building videos so you can get the idea. Start simple, but you will need to buy wire and cotton as well. Alot of sites sell premade coils for simplicity. That being said building your own is hands down cheaper. Just remember when starting out if it is dual coil it cuts the resistance in half. For example if you order 1 ohm premade coils, once both are installed it's .5 ohms. Never build below the specs of your device, allow room for resistance to fluctuate. Use a steam engine calculator if building your own coils to figure out how many wraps, and highly recommend an ohm meter to check before firing for safety sake. Hope this answers a few of your questions if not someone will be along shortly with more info. Good luck.

Taptapslide

May 2, 2015
Alabama
image.jpg

Reactions: MikeyConti

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
The MVP Pro only goes down so low in being able to handle the resistance of an "extremely" low resistance that some use. This, all towards clouds.

On the other side, being flavor, the MVP Pro will do fine. As was said, a resistance of .2 ohms is about the lowest the MVP will do and that is max.

An RDA is a coil with a cotton wick running through it. One end Of the coil starts at the negative post and the other end of the coil connects to the positive post.

With the wick properly inserted through the coil and each end of the wick hanging down into the juice well, all is set, save the juice.

For the juice, saturate the wick and let some drip into the well. Hit the power, coil heats the juice and vaporizes it. As juice, in the area of the coil vaporizes it, more juice is drawn through the wick ends to the coil area. There is safety to be considered anywhere power is used.

An RDA is not much different that an RTA, with the RTA having a tank. Some feel that the presence of the metals/rubbers, etc. have an influence on the taste.

The MVP Pro will go low, but not that low. Hobbyists use resistances in the .2 ohm area, which is the max for the MVP Pro. But surveys say that the majority don't.

The last RDA I still have is the Magma. It is better for flavor. I use it in the evening while sitting with a favorite flavor. I'm sure others have suggestions, too.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Whynot61

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2014
.... Rapids, MN
What exactly do I need to check/look for? I've only ever used tanks so this is all new
Go to Angelcig.Com for the RDA. There not the best built, but there are cheap and you'll figure out if a RDA is for you without spending a lot of $. Buy one that can do single or dual coils. Start by using a single coil build first. Then go to 101vape.com and buy some Prebuilt coils. I think you can get a 10 pack for 2.99. Do not go below .5 until you've done some studying up on coils builds and safety. Remember safety first...

thomas l

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Bolivar MIssouri,United States

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Go to Angelcig.Com for the RDA. There not the best built, but there are cheap and you'll figure out if a RDA is for you without spending a lot of $. Buy one that can do single or dual coils. Start by using a single coil build first. Then go to 101vape.com and buy some Prebuilt coils. I think you can get a 10 pack for 2.99. Do not go below .5 until you've done some studying up on coils builds and safety. Remember safety first...
If the OP doesn't mind the wait, she can get the prebuilt coils cheaper from Fasttesch. For what 101vape sells a 10 pack for, she can get a 50 or 100 pack from Fasttech. I just bought another 2 100-packs of prewound nickel coils and they charged me $9 and change for each.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
My mvp 3 pro reads ohms. Is the ohms meter necessary or can I rely on my mvp to read them. I know mine will fire .2 and up. I know that dual coils will half the resistance. I've seen packs of 20, 50 , 100 pre built coils for just a few bucks so that's cheap enough for me.
If you're using pre wound coils and are planning on going to the 0.5 ohm range, relying on the mod's ohm meter should work, however you can get a cheap ohm meter for around $10 or even less and that gives you a safety blanket for very little money. A pre wound coil may have a little variance in the resistance, but not so much variance that it would fall below the minimum resistance capability of the MVP 3 Pro. If it fell below, then the mod should error out and not fire. What using an ohm meter does offer, and why I use one, is to check for shorts (the coil may be improperly installed and is shorting out) or a loose connection. When I put a coil in, I'll mount it into the ohm meter, and then give the atty a few flicks of my finger to see if the ohm meter reading changes (which would tell me that there is a loose connection). An ohm meter also gives me a platform to mount the atty to while I'm building. You could also use the mod, but then by using an ohm meter, you don't need to worry about accidentally hitting the fire button when doing the build.

Reactions: Baditude

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
I'm currently using an Origen V2 clone RDA (it cost me $20 in a B&M) and an Origen Genesis V2 RTA (also cost me $20). The Gennie gives me the performance of a dripper, but has a 4 ml juice capacity. Both of these gives me a good compromise of excellent flavor and nice clouds. I also purchased 2 Velocity clones for under $10 each from Fasttech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread