Best beginner RBA for Provari mini and me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonderland

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2012
Riverside, California
Is the ZAP bad for out and about? Is it really as easy as Santa does it in his video? :)

The ZAP was my first RBA and I haven't touched a carto tank since :) It is very easy to use with just a little practice and there's a lot of room to work which I like. It is not purse friendly though, so out-and-about I find difficult. For an RBA that doesn't leak or have a top cap that just pops off you can look at something like the Odysseus (cloned as the Terminator). Something else I'm really interested in us the new Killer which turns a normal carto tank into a UFS (basically like having a dripping atty sitting inside a tank). Good luck with whatever you choose!

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
And now I have one of each on the way of the pro rings

As for ease of rebuilding a ZAP, it's just like any other genesis. I actually find the center wick ones (like the line) easier to do but ZAP's are not bad.

Also, for traveling, my cobras are about 5 times as hard to get the top cap off of, so that may be a better option for that if you are worried about the cap coming off.

Last edited:

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
Well I never carry my Provari in my purse .. It's in my hand or hanging on my Serenity lanyard.. Is it very heavy?

As long as it is upright, you shouldn't have any issues. As for heft, it's all steel and glass, so it's pretty heavy. It's heavier than anything else I have for rba's but I am guessing it is the norm for a full size steel genesis. The Cobra is much lighter since it is titanium. Titanium is about 45% lighter than steel.

Hello World

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2012
Vancouver
Is the ZAP bad for out and about? Is it really as easy as Santa does it in his video? :)
No worse than most other RBAs. Some, such as the AGA-T2 have a screw-port to lock up the tank hole, but juice will often still leak out through the wick hole when placed horizontally. I'm in the process of building a PV holder into my dashboard so RBA-mounted PVs can be kept upright.

Since some of my work involves bending down and under, I can't keep them in my jacket pocket as juice will leak out. Also, the ZAP's cap housing easily comes off with little side pressure. So far, best held in hand or set on a table. Should be OK on a lanyard.

Last edited:

tonyorion

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Michigan
I much preferred the original Smoktek Vivi Tank to the new R Tank. I have modded all of original Vivi tanks to a Genesis style SS vertical wick. It takes a little bit of mechanical skill. The new R tank has an O ring on the top cap instead of a screw in, and the o rings just seem to disintegrate with my juices although the tanks show no signs of cracking. The tops of the R tank pop off too easily causing a real mess. My original R tank o rings just broke down after only one tank of juice. The Drunk tank works really well and is an easy rebuild as is the Vivi Nova since your don't even need a screwdriver to do it. The Drunk tank has the coil sitting further away from your mouth giving a cooler vape. The advantage of both of these is that you can easily replace the head without tools should you pop a coil and rebuild them at your leisure. I really like the Eternity with the ego T tank for out and about. Again, it's easy to replace the coil although a small tweezers in your kit would be helpful. The Eternity's are reported to leak in dripping mode (does not happen if you tilt the unit and drip away from the center vent hole), but I have not had that problem when using the T tank. The Eternity is small and fits well on my ego twists, but again it's my out and about vape. I am building a spark welder to weld NR wire to my Kanthal to avoid having uncoiled resistance wire just hanging free. All of my coils fail at the lead portion to the connecting post. That portion gets really hot, but this is an advanced rebuild so I would recommend something simple like the Vivi Nova or the Drunker tank. They will both give you hours of vaping pleasure. There are so many reasonably priced and functional clones out there that I think it is ridiculous to spend so much money on an original Greek. One might argue that you pay for quality, but no matter which RBA you buy, count on the coil failing sooner or later. Keeping two of them around would break the bank, providing you could actually find two to purchase.

Tankman77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2013
Sac, Ca.
SuzyQ,
I LOVE carto-tanks!!! and just recently broke into the world of RBAs. Now in my posession I own a drunkard tank, 2 AGA T+, and a Cobra tank. The drunkard was nice and easy to set up and I use cotton wicks on them. The AGA T+ came with the additional costs of wire, mesh, mini torch and fuel (butane) for the torch--of course you could use a gas stove, but I wanted new toys....who doesnt like fire :D
I have found the AGA-T+ to be fun and fairly easy to set up!!! It has a wide top and plenty of room to work. The AGA is priced right too!!! About $30. I ordered mine through DV when they had the sale and offered a free pyrex tank. The tank I received was very ROUGH around the edges and about a mm too big!! So it never fit into the device. I ordered new pyrex tanks from IBtanked and they are WONDERFUL....thicker glass and smooth edges, and they fit perfectly!!!:)
The ZAP does come pre-assembled and with extra oxidized wicks, but is a little pricey if your just testing the RBA waters! I would recommend the AGA-T+ for sure!!! Good Luck with your decision and Happy Vaping!!!

Beretta

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2013
Mars

My first RBA was a Z-Atty-Pro, and I'm glad I got it. It comes pre-wicked and coiled so you can see how it's properly done. The video on Provapes website is a great instructional piece. I've had great results at 1.8ohms, besides it drains my batteries faster at that ohm rating. That's my only complaint. I love the ZAP. Puts out a great plumes of vapor, and i'm using 100% PG! I can only imagine if I put in 50/50 PG/VG which I have sitting at home.

jasl90

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
And now I have one of each on the way of the pro rings.

I just ordered one made of the 6065 Aluminum ... Didn't think the black delrin would look as good on a blue Provari.

I'll also keep an eye on the Rampage Vapor site. I like the price much better and it "might?" be stainless?

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
I just ordered one made of the 6065 Aluminum ... Didn't think the black delrin would look as good on a blue Provari.

I'll also keep an eye on the Rampage Vapor site. I like the price much better and it "might?" be stainless?

Honestly, I don't know if that is the proper same thing but it could be. I think it may be so their rba looks nice on it, granted that they mean most others would too.
I have a black provari so I would probably use the delrin with something that doesn't match the aluminum like a cobra and the aluminum for bright shiny tanks/atty's.

Also, I think I was sleep-posting and sleep-shopping, I have no recollection of that purchase.

jasl90

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
Jacksonville, FL

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Ahhh alast! I've found one after searching 10+ pages.

If anyones else is looking for an RBA stand here is the link from our good friends that make those awesome Jwraps:

RBA Stand

They're great people to work with on custom products and all around hot...tickets :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread