best juul alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

plasticscones

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Tropic
So since nic salts are capped in the EU, would you recommend something like the zero or kwit?

I just can’t deal with the having to constantly replace coils etc thing. Thats why I got so atractes to the juul but I want something portable like that and with refilible pods. High nicotine content is not a major requirement for me.

Reactions: stols001

plasticscones

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Tropic
I bought a MiPod when I was living in Roma this past summer.
So, it is available in Italy.
On the other hand, I found that the drip tip, being so short and close to the battery got too hot for me. Also, it once auto fired, sitting on my table, not having been used for a week or more. End of story for my MiPod.
Thats no good!!!! I had heard their customer service was supposed to be good and I thought they’d have replaced. Pitty to hear :/

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If you aren't looking for high nicotine, I'd probably look for something durable, and with a decent run time. As far as cigarette like draw, I'd have to think (based on my knowledge of the nautilus coils, and not necessarily the pod itself) maybe the Nautilus AOI is worth checking out, users so far (albeit it's new) seem pretty happy with it. Good luck in your search.

Anna

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
Thats no good!!!! I had heard their customer service was supposed to be good and I thought they’d have replaced. Pitty to hear :/
I did not contact their customer service about the autofire, since I just did not like the vape. the customer service might very well be great, but for me the engineering of the device (meaning the hot drip tip) is not pleasing, so I didn't bother getting in touch with them.

casuald00d

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2018
the states of unitedness
there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable replies here but my own 2 cents on the matter, being an ex-smoker that strictly vapes now, is: the juul works. the other e-cigs i used helped turn me on to the idea of vaping instead of smoking but the juul is what sealed the deal. my own experience. maybe yours will differ. but the simplicity of the juul really did it for me. that and the accessibility. they sell them at gas stations here so there's always somewhere that has them nearby. pretty much see them everywhere i travel in the states. not sure how it is in the united kingdom but i was reading somewhere recently that they have juuls in the uk now or they're going to soon, something like that. if you can buy their kits online now where you live, i'd give it a try. been working really well for me. the only thing though: make sure you got it when you need it. always have it ready if you're trying to make that transition from smoking to vaping. SUPER IMPORTANT. otherwise you might just smoke a cig, which is what would happen to me during that rough transition period.

to make sure you always have it, i'd really suggest buying at least two kits so you have at least two batteries/vapes and can at the least rotate them on the charger. if you're out a lot, make sure you carry some kind of charger. car charger, portable battery pack, something. whatever works for you. just make sure you have what you need when you feel like you need it. and for that matter, find a pod flavor or flavors that work for you and get more than you need so you're not running out of juice and freaking out and smoking a cigarette instead lol. just my 2 cents. good luck!!!

spaceman84

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2013
North Carolina
So since nic salts are capped in the EU, would you recommend something like the zero or kwit?

I just can’t deal with the having to constantly replace coils etc thing. Thats why I got so atractes to the juul but I want something portable like that and with refilible pods. High nicotine content is not a major requirement for me.

With limited nicotine concentration you're going to need a lower ohm coil and thus vape more juice and probably need a bigger battery. Breeze 2 could be an option, though I prefer the original Breeze.

If I were you I'd get a two inexpensive, smaller pod devices. I was using two Vapeccino Mate1's for a while before I went back to the Breeze. But anything similar like a Kanger Uboat or Smok Infinix(?) would work. Very pocketable and you can charge one while you vape the other at full voltage.

brewbear

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2017
What about Aspire Nautilus vs Renova Zero?
I only have the Aspire Nautilus and I'd say save your money! It is all plastic and even though it is not cheap, it feel cheap. I could probably get over that if the clamps holding the pod were not plastic, if the pods fit better and there was no gap between the pod and the mod.
I must clarify the above statement somewhat, I meant I only have the Aspire Nautilus AIO from the two mentioned. I do have and use Justfog Minifit (great choice when out and about, they are the size of a flash drive) Justfog C601 (slightly larger with larger pod and about double battery life) and for the last week Lost Vape Orion. The Orion is larger but still easy on the shirt pocket, very well made, feels and is solid (two drops on the kitchen floor and no marks) but it is more than the stated $40 budget.

Last edited:

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
The Renova Zero is a nice device. It has automatic draw and 3 power settings which help set the vape how you like. It uses ceramic wicking materials in the pods and the taste is pretty good and seems to get better once the break in after a couple fills. Has a tight draw and is built solid with a nice zinc alloy body around the battery. It also feels good in the hands. I like to hold it like a cigar and twirl it around the fingers when not vaping. Not that that matters but if your like me and like to be doing something with your hands, it's a nice device for that. It has pretty good battery life and charges from dead to full in around 45 mins. It also uses temperature control so there is never a dry hit.

I use the Zero throughout the day along with a couple other devices. I do feel that if needed, it could get me through the day fine but would need to charge it at least once as I get around 8 hrs of vape time with my style of vaping. Filled with 18 mg e-liquid it provides a decent throat hit and is satisfying (at least to me). I don't know how long the pods last but I have filled mine over 10 times and have not had to change it yet.

Smittenkittenz

Sep 16, 2018
I'm really loving my kandypens rubi...it's the closest thing to the juul I've seen size wise and it doesn't have the host of issues I've had with the damn juul. I've taken the pods apart like a pro and have refilled/reused both juul and ziip pods...neither are sustainable and they waste a lot of juice with the inevitable leaks,etc. Rubi has been way better. It's by no means a superior vape or anything really masterful but that isn't what I'm after...at the end of the day its all conjecture/preference. But as far as a straight juul alternative without the pre filled pod bs....the rubi is great.

casuald00d

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2018
the states of unitedness
I'm really loving my kandypens rubi...it's the closest thing to the juul I've seen size wise and it doesn't have the host of issues I've had with the damn juul. I've taken the pods apart like a pro and have refilled/reused both juul and ziip pods...neither are sustainable and they waste a lot of juice with the inevitable leaks,etc. Rubi has been way better. It's by no means a superior vape or anything really masterful but that isn't what I'm after...at the end of the day its all conjecture/preference. But as far as a straight juul alternative without the pre filled pod bs....the rubi is great.

I have seen the Rubi and have been wondering whether or not it's actually a decent vape. It seems a little expensive but I can't help but think I'd save money with the refillable pods.

Can you compare the ongoing cost of vaping as it pertains to JUUL versus Rubi? I'd love to see the difference outlined by an actual user if at all possible.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
Last edited:

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
Pbusardo found that the Breeze-2 is "direct V"...(most Pods are "constant V")...and that with a 1.0ohm coil...it starts out at 16W then decreases to 9W just before the battery needs recharging...

I have the Breeze 1 and it is similar.

From the Breeze 1 manual:
"When the Breeze’s current charge capacity is above 3.8 volts the indicator lights will be blue and orange. When the charge is between 3.8 and 3.4 volts the light will be blue only. When the charge drops below 3.4 volts the light will then become orange to remind you that it is time to charge your Breeze."

From the Breeze 2 manual:
" When its current charge capacity is above 3.8 volts the indicator lights will be blue and orange. When the charge is between 3.8 and 3.5 volts the light will be blue only. When the charge drops below 3.5 volts the light will then become orange to remind you that it is time to charge your Breeze 2."

With the Breeze 1, the drop is noticeable to me. I actually prefer the vape with the 0.6 Ohm coil when it is in the blue only color range (3.8-3.5 volts) even better than when it's fully charged. When it drops below that and turns orange, then it's a bit to weak for me.

Smittenkittenz

Sep 16, 2018
I have seen the Rubi and have been wondering whether or not it's actually a decent vape. It seems a little expensive but I can't help but think I'd save money with the refillable pods.

Can you compare the ongoing cost of vaping as it pertains to JUUL versus Rubi? I'd love to see the difference outlined by an actual user if at all possible.

Yes it's a very decent vape and depending on the juice used it can hit better than the juul and it produces better cloud quality too. Not much more expensive than juul or any other in this category. As an ex smoker I need a good throat hit and the rubi delivers on that. I really like the pod design and they are easy to refill. As for expense, I haven't used it long enough to know a per month cost, but I get my 3 pack pods on ebay for $22 and free shipping, compared to kandypen site at $30+ out the door due to their shipping fees. I ought 2 packs so currently have 6 pods. I'd hope the pods will last a while, at least 3-5 fills depending on the pg vg ratio, I'm not a sweet juice fan so that helps the life for sure. I invested about $150 upfront for various juices and I don't anticipate having to reup on pods for at least a month, so I'm guessing after initial vape expense the pods and juice monthly output would be around $60-80. Might be lower but...I am an all day liberal user so maybe more decadent than some. I bet you could get the rubi on ebay for cheaper than the website or find it on another vape site that does a first order 15% promo code or something. Thats how I got juices for less. Hope that helps ;)

Vanessa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread