Status
Not open for further replies.

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
I prefer to use a box mod you can get a regulated or a mech like box mod. Box mods can have more than one battery which allows for longer use and if in parallel higher amperage/watts. I have both. I'f got a DIY dual parallel that I run the atty at .4 ohms and it's not a really large cloud but is enough for me. The atty I used is a Tobh with quad vertical coils and Japanese organic cotton. The regulated one is an SX350 60 watt and I have Dodge with the Wide Bore top. That is my cloud maker. But LOL have to be careful with that wide bore top the vapor can get pretty warm. LOL As with all mods make sure you have a good working knowledge of Ohms law and BATTERY SAFETY. Use good batteries. No battery with fire in the name and if you have an Efest know that they lie about the amperage limit. IMO Sony's are the best most trusted battery but they are also the most counterfeited.

nj1001

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2009
Boston-ish
You can chase clouds with just about any mod so long as you know what you're doing and you've done your homework.

Good batteries are key. I'm certain the praxis will work just as well as any other authentic mechanical mod ever made.

Again, I second Steved's recommendation for a controlled device because it'll guarantee consistent amazing vapes without issue and with the benefit of being able to control how many watts, volts, etc you want to throw at your atty to kick just the right amount of vapor you want. Otherwise, with mechanical mods, it boils down to how fresh the battery is off the charger & how the coil in the atty is twisted (ohms).

With a controlled device, you'll get the exact same vape with each set of batteries you throw in the device and you will know exactly when your batts need to be charged. With a mech, a freshy battery kicks a lot harder than one you;ve been vaping on for a bit and there's no indication when you've worked the battery down TOO far.

See provari or DNAs.

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
The ProVari 3 only goes up to 20 watts, which should be fine for most people. It probably won't be super-amazing for cloud chasing. Especially since it refuses to fire anything below 1 ohm. Could be 1.2, I don't remember off hand, and mine is in the shop right now.

I've heard good things about the Sigelei 100 Watt, but it's a box, and it's a pretty sizable box.

nj1001

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2009
Boston-ish
haha, good call on the provari watt and ohm limitations. On the new one can you kill the variable wattage and go straight for voltage adjustment like older provaris and kick the volts up to compensate I wonder?

(Eh... all I can picture is how hot and nasty burning juice & coils must be kicking it up so high. Big clouds, big burning clouds, hehe)

Searching for DNA tubes (or close to) here's what I found:
Wizard's Apprentice Evolved which I just saw for a really good price from here.
Protovapors/XPV are still boxes but they're pretty uniquely shaped.
There's the Swabia which is up there in price with MB's stuff and looks pretty different.
And there's the EL3V8TOR telescopic, dunno where those can be found anymore.

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
Well, the P3 lets you adjust it by voltage or wattage, though I don't know why anyone would prefer to use voltage, honestly... Either way, the two numbers are pretty much linked in the equation anyhow.

I believe that it has cutoffs based on amperage, to keep you from over-drawing your battery...or something. Just got the shipping notification that mine is on it's way back...hopefully they fixed it up. I've never really been a cloud chaser though, so I haven't really experimented with it. My DIY juice that I make vaporizes really nicely at about 8 watts.

Don't forget about the new eLeaf iStick 50Watt. I think that the new MVP also has some crazy high wattage limit...but, again...you'll have to be careful about rebuilding, some of them don't like to sub-ohm. Though at 50 watts, I'm sure that a 1.5 ohm coil will make just as much vapor as a 0.5 ohm coil.

(Quick Math on Dual Coils: 1 coil at 3 ohms fires at 3 ohms. 2 coils at 3 ohms fire at 1.5 ohms. 4 coils at 3 ohms should fire at 0.75 ohms. (Assuming that they're perfectly the same))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread