best polishing product

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2011
SO. CAL
i recently picked up mothers metal polish and it works wonders on my brass nemesis. but it leaves a weird residue on my threads that is a b**ch to get out. anybody that has the same problem? anybody recommend different alternatives.

Funny. I was just about so start a thread on polishing mods. I've had the same problem using polishes on brass and SS mods as well. If your going to use cream/ paste polishes I would recommend only using micro fiber clothes. I use short/ stubby craft brushes from Michael's or Joann Fabrics to handle the build up in the threads. Super soft bristles will help to not Marr the finish. I take the micro fiber after and bury it in the threads and spin the cloth back and forth in a circular motion to get any left overs out.

i just bought a huge tin of "cape cod polishing cloths" at a local hardware store. Could not be easier and the cloths are reusable. It even got rid of a ton of hairline scratches on my nemesis which i was really suprised about.

How do these work on tarnished and oxidized brass? I've seen some reviews on them and they've all been used on pretty clean mods with only finger prints. Either way I guess it's worth a shot to try them out. I've got a Grand Vapor Private V2 that has some pretty ugly tarnish on it right now. I'm still trying to figure out if the brass on this mod is TRUE brass or just brass plated? I don't wanna use anything to abrasive if it's just plated.

Last edited:

Coil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2011
SO. CAL
Sharkhide Aluminum Metal Polish. All other polishes pale in comparison. 40.00 for 1 lb can Threads must be cleaned of residue with toothbrush and dawn

I'll have to check that out. I asked AG what he uses and he said that he uses Simichrome. I do like the Cape Cod clothes so far for quick cleans with no left over residue.

Coil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2011
SO. CAL
Firing button on my El Kapitan...

Finished Kapitan

Grand Vapor Private V2 came out ok... I'm going to need some of that Sharkhide and Simichrome to get it any better then this

Can't really complain for about 15 min. per mod with a cloth and some elbow grease.

Last edited:

Thepinfamily

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Virginia
I do restorations on vintage coin operated machines(mostly pinball) as a hobby so I polish quite a bit of metal. I've gone through all the good polishes at least once. Now I use a machine and rouge. Sounds expensive but its not. My first polishing machine was a bench polish/buff machine from harbour freight. It cost $28 after all the sales discounts. It's a bench mounted machine with two 6" wheels. Once you have the machine you can buy the wheels that's best for you. You can get different grits of rouge for different metals and different wheels for different finishes. For $50 you can have a polishing setup that lasts for years.

Oh, to get rid of the residue I use 91% isopropyl alcohol. It devolves the residue on contact. It also displaces any water (in case u were using water) and dries clean. I normally give my mods an alcohol bath in the ultrasonic cleaner after polishing. If you don't have a u.s.cleaner a bowl will work fine.

Coil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2011
SO. CAL
I do restorations on vintage coin operated machines(mostly pinball) as a hobby so I polish quite a bit of metal. I've gone through all the good polishes at least once. Now I use a machine and rouge. Sounds expensive but its not. My first polishing machine was a bench polish/buff machine from harbour freight. It cost $28 after all the sales discounts. It's a bench mounted machine with two 6" wheels. Once you have the machine you can buy the wheels that's best for you. You can get different grits of rouge for different metals and different wheels for different finishes. For $50 you can have a polishing setup that lasts for years.

Oh, to get rid of the residue I use 91% isopropyl alcohol. It devolves the residue on contact. It also displaces any water (in case u were using water) and dries clean. I normally give my mods an alcohol bath in the ultrasonic cleaner after polishing. If you don't have a u.s.cleaner a bowl will work fine.

Very cool. I used to do Auto Detailing myself (years ago) so I only have orbital machines. That would be a good investment though... I'd like to have all the bells and whistles for polishing someday. Maybe a nice little setup in the garage.

Coil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2011
SO. CAL
Coil p post 6061
Beautiful! Those GG's are insanely clean. Nice work man. I checked out the Sharkhide website and read into what it's capable of. So the polish alone is the way to go I take it? You don't use the cleaner or protectant as well?

Here's one on sale for $39.99.
http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/stationary-grinder-buffer/6-inch-buffer-94393.html

If you search the web for harbour freight coupons you will find a 25% off sale price coupon. That makes it $30.

Yeah Harbor Freight always has some killer deals. I might leave a tab open on my desktop for my wife to see... Early Stocking Stuffer maybe?:blink: Thanks for the link.

Last edited:

Dj Xy

I'm winning like Charlie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
baltimore, maryland
I use vinegar and baking soda to make a paste for removing the tarnish on my 8w. Really easy and rinses right off

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
Baking soda and vinegar are abrasive and will leave micro scratches on the surface, its best to use a non abrasive polish to keep the brass in top shape.
I actually just got done cleaning up my 8w using a Cape Cod polishing cloth, followed by a buffing with 100% soft cotton cloth.
really makes the brass and stainless shine.
You get two reusable polishing cloths in a resealable pouch for $5.95. FOIL POUCH CAPE COD® METAL POLISHING CLOTHS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread