Big tobacco vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark M

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2018
London UK
I agree with almost all this. A couple of notes, though. There are some on ECF that likely started smoking before the 1964 report. Maybe even chose their brand because their doctor recommended it:
View attachment 789257 View attachment 789267
I don't think BT is inherently evil just because they sell a product that kills...even after they definitively found that out. It would be naive to think a company was going to say - "hey, we saw the Surgeon General's report. Let's shut down the company." Which would leave it to the other companies to continue. It has always been, and remains a legal product, and those running the company are bound to their shareholders. That said, I could never work for them to advance their goals.

Many, including me, would have a hard time sleeping at night, knowing that the real evil came when they lied and covered evidence, to continue selling the product, and even began introducing even more toxic chemicals to ensure an increased base of addicted customers. I wouldn't/couldn't do anything to support that - at least not beyond my continued purchase for my own addiction. Typing this, it actually makes me wonder who they recruit these days, and how they have the conscience to begin working for BT. I mean - how many companies out there are there, where the product has no redeeming value whatsoever, and is known only to enslave and kill people?

So yes - I do think there are elements of evil in the industry, and will never do anything to support them. Yet, I started in 1971-2, after it was known that it definitely was not good for you. And I never blamed them for making me smoke, or lacking the fortitude to quit.
Yes but my point still remains true taking it all into account, they should have not even be allowed to enter the vaping industry, they are rotten to the core, and this will translate into both the product and how it sells. Sad but true, so I would shift the focus onto stopping them now.

Reactions: Brewdawg1181

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Yes but my point still remains true taking it all into account, they should have not even be allowed to enter the vaping industry, they are rotten to the core, and this will translate into both the product and how it sells. Sad but true, so I would shift the focus onto stopping them now.
I get it - I wish they weren't getting into the vape industry, for several reasons. I'm not that familiar with UK laws, but individual purchases like Altria's buy-in on juul don't come close to creating a monopoly. And anti-trust is the only real means of preventing such a purchase here.

Mark M

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2018
London UK
I get it - I wish they weren't getting into the vape industry, for several reasons. I'm not that familiar with UK laws, but individual purchases like Altria's buy-in on Juul don't come close to creating a monopoly. And anti-trust is the only real means of preventing such a purchase here.
I think buyers opinions, wants, trends, protests and campaigning can help steer it away from their grasp, I feel noise needs to be made, protests formalised and awareness raised now because we know they are doing all they can.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
It's funny you mention the caffeine headache. A few days ago I started cutting back on my caffeine intake because I think I've become more sensitive to it. I've tried going from 5 - 6 cups throughout the day to 2 in the morning. I have had a terrible headache in the late afternoon for the last 2 days.
Sounds about right. Maybe space out your two cups

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Oh, I had a colleague ask if I wanted to invest in (OTHER STUFF) stock as you can double your money quickly. I said "no".
He asked how come. My reply was that as a recovered drug addict I cannot in good conscience make a profit from something I know is harmful. I also ensure that $0 of my 401k is tied up in tobacco. But at the same time I do not hold any malice against those who do, nor the companies that provide them. What I do get stewed about is the politician who looks at me with a straight face and says "the tax revenue is to help the children"...
In Canada if you are an investor in that industry you are denied entry to the U.S, at least that's what's being reported.

Last edited by a moderator:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
@bombastinator
Well, I am vaping for more than 10 years now. At first I have lowered the nicotine till zero in my DIY VG-liquid, completely PG-free, cause I have a PG-allergy, but then I had no kind of throat hit whatsoever, so, I started to use nicotine again (but already many years without diketones)
And I haven't got the intension to ever stop vaping.
Addiction to different substances varies somewhat by individual. Caffeine and nicotine are somewhat comparable because they are both cheap and legal.

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Never crossed my mind to blame anyone but myself for my smoking addiction. Frankly I don't trust BT and don't bother to read their literature but we could sure use the lobby money BT could bring to the table. IMO as a group we would be foolish to ignore this fact. There are so few vaper's who actually care about vaping as those of us on the forums do, we need monetary help to be heard.

Morgan_Drury

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2018
What upsets me is that the big tobacco companies fought for so long in court saying smoking is safe, years after we all knew it wasn't, and they know they have been profiting from the killing of millions and millions for decades, and still do.

They even fought the new European packaging laws showing the reality of smoking, which are proving to be effective.

They don't give a .... about you and me dying from their products., this again proved it!!

Then, when vaping came out, they posted and funded properganda rubbish everywhere, in "scientist say" type studdies saying "vapping is dalangerous!! " as they could see their empire slipping.. NOW these ........s are buying up niche vaping products and companies to try and cash in by diversifying their offering and take over the market.

I for one do not feel they have ANY right to profit from the vapping industry, only evil can run and live happily at the heart of a company that is "OK" to profit from death, as they still do, still fighting tooth and claw to keep their "happy branding" on products they know kill.

There is no social conscience there at all. Smoking being the biggest cause of death in the world through disease. I also feel its sad that some vaping brands are selling up to them, I'm sure not all will.

My suggestion is to boycote the brands now sold to big tobacco or developed by big tobacco like Vype.

Here are the one's that sold:

1 blue-e cigs - BIG in UK Shops

2 dragonite

And developed in house by big tobacco:

3 MarkTen

4. Vuse

5. massive in the UK - VYPE

6. Juul pod system is also owbed by big tobacco!

"British American Tobacco has become the first tobacco company to launch an electronic cigarette in the UK, raising fears that it could eventually boost its profits with public money should the NHS begin prescribing ecigarettes as a smoking-cessation tool"

And they don't just want to play, they want to own it and close vape shops etc forcing them out of business and have us all on their products and dictate market price to be akin to smoking!

Great article on this here:
Big Tobacco’s War on Vaping | National Review

In the UK they even tried to do a deal to give NHS staff free heat not burn products for PR etc I guess and they said no obviously.

I'm worried how the whole vapping industry is silently being changed and manipulated by big tobacco.

Some great vape shops in the UK refuse to sells big tobacco products as its ethically wrong, and also I personally think it would be a trojen horse to their business!!

100 million people have died of smoking in the 20th century.

Aprox 6 MILLION people died from cigarettes in 2018

600,000.00 were due to second hand smoke.

Worldwide 14 thousand people died today, because of smoking.

14,000 people are gone today, left the earth early, and their families are crying and in emotional agony. And its all going to happen again tomorow.

These evil firms have no right to lay claim to the industry providing the cure to their evil!

So there you go, rant over, it just does not feel right these ........s that have been, and are still happy, to kill us, as they profit directly by the death of millions linked dirctly to their products, now using that blood marked money to cash in on E cigarettes.
For all these reasons I feel that any vape product purchassed from a big tobacco company can not in anyone's mind be classed as an "ethically sourced product."

OK rant over

Much love, Mark x

I get it completely. At the same time I see another perspective as well. Altria bought a 35% stake in Juul for $13 billion so they are invested in vaping's future. Who knows what's coming down the line with FDA regulations/bans, what if big tobaccos resources and connections ultimately helps save the vaping industry in the US.

• Winner
Reactions: United States

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Never crossed my mind to blame anyone but myself for my smoking addiction. Frankly I don't trust BT and don't bother to read their literature but we could sure use the lobby money BT could bring to the table. IMO as a group we would be foolish to ignore this fact. There are so few vaper's who actually care about vaping as those of us on the forums do, we need monetary help to be heard.
I've been on both sides of that fence, Letitia. At first, I thought it'd be great to have their lobbying resources on the side of vaping. But the more I think about it, I think they'll use that power to create regs that'll limit real competition, so that the innovation will disappear. And the legal market will be so narrow in a few years that only a few big players will be involved. I hope I'm wrong, because I think Altria-Juul is just the beginning of truly big money starting to take over.

Reactions: Letitia

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
That was done in the US. The result was a fund obstensibly to cover the cost of dying smokers but in practice goes almost entirely into advertising for various companies connected to the cigarette industry. :/

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Good debate going here.
Bravo for keeping it lively yet civil.

Ok, so we vapers know that a vape device is not as harmful as a burning tobacco stick. If it were the days of Jefferson and Madison before 'extras' were tossed into cigarettes it would still be better because you are not inhaling carbon monoxide.

But, much of the outside world believe that vaping and smoking are at least the same. Some think vaping is worse, and at first I thought so too. It took a real hero to take a big drag from those early vape sticks with who knows what in the juice back then. Man, did those things hurt if you messed around and hit it too hard.

Vaping got started off on the wrong foot with all of those nasty e-cigs and then came the exploding vapes....then cloud chuckers. A lot was done to create a bad image early on. And now that Juul is seen as Joe Camel's evil twin Altria may have made a bad bet. For now it seems to be good for them. The future will tell what really happened.

Nowadays I am associated with folks who think helium ballons are the death of us all in 20 years. But whenever I pull out my little pod and blow out a whisp of pleasentary I hear "good for you sir, way to get away from those coffin nails"....

Whenever my brothers blows out a room filling cloud I whince in pain. When walking around at work with a Zenith clad JAC I hear "don't those things explode?"
Yet perception of the venerable pod or pen device generally is seem as harmless, even helpful as the nearby folks say "mmm, is that cotton candy flavor?"

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... Who knows what's coming down the line with FDA regulations/bans, what if big tobaccos resources and connections ultimately helps save the vaping industry in the US.

This is where the Two Sides of the Sword come in.

If we are talking about Vaping as it is Today, with the Interchangeable Choices of Hardware and e-Liquids that we have, then Yeah... BT helping to maintain that would be a Good Thing.

But is that in BT's Interest? Or more specifically, JUUL's?

Or is a Market where Hardware is Proprietary and Atomizers are Closed Systems/Non-Modifiable a better fit for BT/JUUL?

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I agree with almost all this. A couple of notes, though. There are some on ECF that likely started smoking before the 1964 report. Maybe even chose their brand because their doctor recommended it:
View attachment 789257 View attachment 789267
I don't think BT is inherently evil just because they sell a product that kills...even after they definitively found that out. It would be naive to think a company was going to say - "hey, we saw the Surgeon General's report. Let's shut down the company." Which would leave it to the other companies to continue. It has always been, and remains a legal product, and those running the company are bound to their shareholders. That said, I could never work for them to advance their goals.

Many, including me, would have a hard time sleeping at night, knowing that the real evil came when they lied and covered evidence, to continue selling the product, and even began introducing even more toxic chemicals to ensure an increased base of addicted customers. I wouldn't/couldn't do anything to support that - at least not beyond my continued purchase for my own addiction. Typing this, it actually makes me wonder who they recruit these days, and how they have the conscience to begin working for BT. I mean - how many companies out there are there, where the product has no redeeming value whatsoever, and is known only to enslave and kill people?

So yes - I do think there are elements of evil in the industry, and will never do anything to support them. Yet, I started in 1971-2, after it was known that it definitely was not good for you. And I never blamed them for making me smoke, or lacking the fortitude to quit.

OK, so I read the OP, and then decided I was going to post a short:

What's the problem? "More scientists vape Juul..." quote,

And you beat me to it! :lol:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
This is me, too. I don't blame them really, but I sure as hell don't TRUST them.

I want my juice clean. No BT juice for me. And they'll end up regulating the smaller juice makers out of the market. THAT is the big scare here.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
This is me, too. I don't blame them really, but I sure as hell don't TRUST them.

I want my juice clean. No BT juice for me. And they'll end up regulating the smaller juice makers out of the market. THAT is the big scare here.
I agree they will likely alter juice ingredients, but to fair isn't that what JUUL did as well? I diy my juice but when I didn't I made a point of not using juices that BT companies had a stake in.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
I hope I'm wrong, because I think Altria-Juul is just the beginning of truly big money starting to take over.
OK, I'm going to come off anti-capitalist here (and I'm not, I just think capitalism has to be recognized for what it is)....

But it's the capitalist business model. WITH EVERYTHING. Add to that the fact that we're currently in an Oligarchy where the special-interests (read big money) control congress and the regulations.

It works that way with all other products, I don't see where vaping is any different. Hell, vaping is MORE PRONE to regulation because of tobacco history and nicotine addiction history. And like was said above, it's a double edged sword. We need to regulate it properly, yet the same institutions that create laws and enforce regulation can be used against us in the marketplace.

So without an eyes-wide-open approach, and without dispelling propaganda, we're screwed.

Sorry for the "politics". But the model here is well known and very predictable. Thankfully sites like ECF and the grass-roots vaping community can work to overcome the big-corporatist takeover and monopolization of the industry. I hope. ECF mostly "stays out of it" and just publishes facts. It's up to us in the USA to fight the regulators that are doing harm under the guise of "doing good".

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
I agree they will likely alter juice ingredients, but to fair isn't that what JUUL did as well? I diy my juice but when I didn't I made a point of not using juices that BT companies had a stake in.
If I were complaining about "any alteration to juice" you'd have a point.

But what I'm worried about is the more insidious alterations. For example, not being able to get juice without WTA's that make it more addictive in combination with the nic.

I don't even blame BT for the "reformulating and standardizing" of cigs, as long as it made a more uniform product. I don't care if they make them more uniform or if they up the nic level (I probably even smoked less due to that).

What I care about is the OTHER impacts. Of course, now-a-days cigs are mostly crap/scrap stems and paper and floor sweepings "reformulated" and junk tobacco. But that's another story, since I'm off them anyway. The days of decent tobacco are long gone.

So they sell crap, they sell lies, and they add all sorts of other chemicals. I want my juice made by ethical people, and I don't personally find BT to be very ethical or trustworthy. That's just my opinion and :2c:.

If Juul switched to nic salts and made a functional device in small form factor, fine. It works, obviously.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
Not a single person has ever been forced to begin smoking. It has been well known for over 50 years that smoking is addictive. So like those who fear the mighty drug cartels, we have no one to blame but ourselves. We are the ones who buy the stuff. Afterall we are the ones who chose to start smoking

I don't know man, see I started smoking at age 12 and smoked for 22 years back in those days I could get smokes from vending machines, I didn't understand what addiction was and by the time I wanted to quit I couldn't, I spent thousands upon thousands trying to quit over the years and nothing helped, the same can be said for most of my childhood friends that almost all still smoke except about 2 who quit in their 20's.

One thing for sure is that there's no one size fits all when it comes to smoking, the experience is different for everyone.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
This is where the Two Sides of the Sword come in.

If we are talking about Vaping as it is Today, with the Interchangeable Choices of Hardware and e-Liquids that we have, then Yeah... BT helping to maintain that would be a Good Thing.

But is that in BT's Interest? Or more specifically, JUUL's?

Or is a Market where Hardware is Proprietary and Atomizers are Closed Systems/Non-Modifiable a better fit for BT/JUUL?
Without doubt larger manufacturers benefit greatly from proprietary systems. This is more or less an axiom of capitalism. The problem is customers don’t. In a Truly free market which is an exceedingly rare thing, like the one we are experiencing at the moment, interchangeable systems provide advantage to consumers and smaller manufacturers. As this goes away, as it basically always does, the small manufacturers will disappear, leaving large manufacturers to foist proprietary higher priced lower quality equipment onto the public without any option but to buy it.

Reactions: Mark M
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread