Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Without doubt larger manufacturers benefit greatly from proprietary systems. ...

So then it sounds like we have the Answer to the original Question.

Or, at Least, the Direction that BT is going to Exert its Enormous Influence on the FDA/Political System.

Reactions: Baditude

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Or, at Least, the Direction that BT is going to Exert its Enormous Influence on the FDA/Political System.
Right. And that doesn't even have to be system-specific. I think the thing to watch is THE juice (and contents).

If it takes $50,000 and 1000 man hours every 6 months for FDA "certification"...it will drive all the competition out of the market. For example. Proprietary hardware system or no.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Right. And that doesn't even have to be system-specific. I think the thing to watch is THE juice (and contents).

If it takes $50,000 and 1000 man hours every 6 months for FDA "certification"...it will drive all the competition out of the market. For example. Proprietary hardware system or no.

Yeah... Think of the Inkjet Printer Market...

I buy Reset Chipped Inkjet Cartridges so I can Refill them. The cost is a Fraction of buying OEM Inkjet Cartridges. And I'm Not tied down to having to buy the OEM's Cartridges. But now think if OEM's could somehow get the Government to Ban the Sale of Reset Chips?

Without something to put Ink in, the Bulk Inkjet Ink market would kinda Collapse. So it's kinda Two Birds with One Stone.

I know some will scratch their heads with this Analogy. But I like it because it is so Similar to what is going to happen in the e-Cigarette Market.

And because the Amount of FDA Sanctioned Flavors isn't going to be too far from the amount of Colours I can put in my Printer.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I don't know man, see I started smoking at age 12 and smoked for 22 years back in those days I could get smokes from vending machines, I didn't understand what addiction was and by the time I wanted to quit I couldn't, I spent thousands upon thousands trying to quit over the years

So let me get this straight;
An exec from Phillip Morris stuck a gun to your little sisters head, then told you "put 22 quarters in that machine, pull that handle out and smoke those funky stale cigarettes or little sister gets it in the temple?"

I know countless people who one day said no to tobacco. Matter of fact my family was born with chimneys sticking out of our heads but none smoke anymore besides me.

I knew early on I was hooked. But smoked to cover up the aroma of the other (non legal) stuff I was smoking so my parents, teachers, cops etc wouldn't catch me.

Like I said earlier, I am not defending big tobacco here. Just stating that me personally have chosen to cave in to a bad habit on a daily basis. Being it is the only vice I still succum to I choose to enjoy a few smokes a day. I vape the other times I used to smoke like after supper.

ThrashNeon

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2009
Yeah... Think of the Inkjet Printer Market...

I buy Reset Chipped Inkjet Cartridges so I can Refill them. The cost is a Fraction of buying OEM Inkjet Cartridges. And I'm Not tied down to having to buy the OEM's Cartridges. But now think if OEM's could somehow get the Government to Ban the Sale of Reset Chips?

Without something to put Ink in, the Bulk Inkjet Ink market would kinda Collapse. So it's kinda Two Birds with One Stone.

I know some will scratch their heads with this Analogy. But I like it because it is so Similar to what is going to happen in the e-Cigarette Market.

And because the Amount of FDA Sanctioned Flavors isn't going to be too far from the amount of Colours I can put in my Printer.
Not a bad analogy...
I have a continuous ink system for my printer. ;)
Left to the free market however, we did see various manufacturers making it difficult (or trying to) to prevent the use of non-OEM cartridges in their printers (via hardware/firmware, etc). I don't really have a problem with this - just buy a different printer. But the more regulation, the fewer the options to actually do what YOU want to do.

Another thing that comes to mind: In the early days of e-cigs (2008/9ish), we saw the birth of a truly free market in this industry. There were no standards, and companies (AND individual geeks/modders and designers) were contributing all kinds of different elements into the birth of e-cigs/vaping (especially on the hardware side, but juice too). This was a beautiful thing to witness, even though it made it more difficult to evaluate all the options. The result of this innovation led to some consistency naturally evolving over time. Who's NOT using 510 style connections nowadays?

As far as the juice... I can buy VG and flavorings and vape 0mg if I want. The ONLY FDA involvement should be that the manufacturers shouldn't be putting poison into those products. This has nothing to do with tobacco.

The same could be said of nicotine. BT and the FDA should have NO involvement in anything else, imo.

I think we can all agree that the nicotine warnings on mods and tanks are ridiculous.

In fact, as a thought experiment, I'm wondering how a false advertising lawsuit against a company would NOT win (IANAL). "Hey I bought this purely mechanical device/tank, but I didn't get any nicotine with it! The company is falsely advertising this product!" I would love to see a court case on this.

Even for food items, you sometimes see a warning that "this product MAY contain peanuts" even if it doesn't, or "This was manufactured in a factory where peanuts might have been present" - but you don't see giant warnings "THIS CONTAINS PEANUTS" on cans of almonds.

It's been a while since I've been in a smoke shop (do they still exist?), but as far as I know, tobacco pipes do not have stickers that say "This product contains nicotine", do they?

• Agree
Reactions: zoiDman

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Not a bad analogy...
I have a continuous ink system for my printer. ;)
Left to the free market however, we did see various manufacturers making it difficult (or trying to) to prevent the use of non-OEM cartridges in their printers (via hardware/firmware, etc). I don't really have a problem with this - just buy a different printer. But the more regulation, the fewer the options to actually do what YOU want to do.

Another thing that comes to mind: In the early days of e-cigs (2008/9ish), we saw the birth of a truly free market in this industry. There were no standards, and companies (AND individual geeks/modders and designers) were contributing all kinds of different elements into the birth of e-cigs/vaping (especially on the hardware side, but juice too). This was a beautiful thing to witness, even though it made it more difficult to evaluate all the options. The result of this innovation led to some consistency naturally evolving over time. Who's NOT using 510 style connections nowadays?

As far as the juice... I can buy VG and flavorings and vape 0mg if I want. The ONLY FDA involvement should be that the manufacturers shouldn't be putting poison into those products. This has nothing to do with tobacco.

The same could be said of nicotine. BT and the FDA should have NO involvement in anything else, imo.

I think we can all agree that the nicotine warnings on mods and tanks are ridiculous.

In fact, as a thought experiment, I'm wondering how a false advertising lawsuit against a company would NOT win (IANAL). "Hey I bought this purely mechanical device/tank, but I didn't get any nicotine with it! The company is falsely advertising this product!" I would love to see a court case on this.

Even for food items, you sometimes see a warning that "this product MAY contain peanuts" even if it doesn't, or "This was manufactured in a factory where peanuts might have been present" - but you don't see giant warnings "THIS CONTAINS PEANUTS" on cans of almonds.

It's been a while since I've been in a smoke shop (do they still exist?), but as far as I know, tobacco pipes do not have stickers that say "This product contains nicotine", do they?
The 510 connection wasn’t actually that good compared to a mess of the others. What made it win was not that it was good, but that it was non-proprietary. As the openness of the market fades, as it is already beginning to, corporations hoping for bigger profits will likely eventually force low quality proprietary products on the consumer, as again, they are already beginning to in the pod market. So far the market is still open enough to resist such changes. Proprietary sealed pod ecigs are resisted wherever possible by consumers, but in the gas station sales space they are beginning to dominate.
This is unsurprising. The path of corporate capitalism is well known and generally unchanging. Back in the 90’s every single problem consumers are having now was predicted by the anti-deregulation element in the government. The deregulation element claiming that it wouldn’t go that way. It ALWAYS goes that way. The only question is how long it will take.

Reactions: AttyPops

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
The BiC lighter replaced the Zippo for the same reason the ball point pen replaced the fountain pen.
Convenience. And that is why the pod system is doing so well.

A $5 bottle of lighter fluid may last a whole year in a Zippo and $1.49 BiC may last 30 days. Yet BiC sells millions upon millions of disposable lighters every month.

Pod systems make life simple for folks who prefer popcorn in a bag because it takes too long to microwave for them. And pan cooked? What's that?

We live in a time where millions of people say preparing a bowl of cereal is too much of a pain. So it's a sign of the times that pre-filled pods sell well.

Makes no sense to many of us here. Neither does a car that drives itself. Yet it is what it is here in 2019, where soon you'll be able to gps where you want to go and your car will drive you there.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
I know countless people who one day said no to tobacco. Matter of fact my family was born with chimneys sticking out of our heads but none smoke anymore besides me.
Like I said the experience is different for everyone, I am the only one in my family to smoke. Generalizing, thinking your experience is the same as everyone else just doesn't fit here.

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
BT's flawed business practices to fool the whole world that smoking is healthy and all else .... makes me agree to boycott those products/brands they own/bought. But moving forward, I like the benefits of big money on vaping. It's a sign that vaping will be with us for a while.

As a smoker, I find it very convenient that whenever I ran out of smokes, a store in any given corner, intersection, etc will have what I need. As a vaper, it's still difficult to get a hold of what I need as quick as a snap. It's either I order online and wait 3-5 days or drive 25 km away to go to the nearest vape shop and see what's available, not knowing if I will even buy anything.

Selfishly, I like the benefit of having vape products available where they sell tobacco products like 7-eleven, other corner stores, groceries, etc. Morally moving forward, the liars that started the lies 30 years ago should be dead like me 50 years from now. Our grand children doesn't have to vape like it's making moonshine.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Sorry but big tobacco is going to ruin your vaping check this out FDA Ban on Vaping: The Ugly Truth
Info here is kind of old. A lot has happened since then.
upload_2019-1-20_19-20-54.png

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
@Mark M
My mission is not only to boycott tobacco company vaping products but also to tell the world how bad they are and such terrible value. I have a team of people all sworn to the special club that takes every opportunity to discuss cheaper vaping on better devices.
Every day we get small wins. Sometimes people don't care. Mostly, when you explain what's going on they are shocked they bought a tobacco company product from Tesco or Sainsbury's.
One puff on a medium-power/sized device makes up their mind quite quickly... you know, an iStick with a Nautilus tank or similar.

I loved your post. Such passion and commitment to the cause. Nice. :)

• Winner
Reactions: Mark M

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
@Mark M
My mission is not only to boycott tobacco company vaping products but also to tell the world how bad they are and such terrible value. I have a team of people all sworn to the special club that takes every opportunity to discuss cheaper vaping on better devices.
Every day we get small wins. Sometimes people don't care. Mostly, when you explain what's going on they are shocked they bought a tobacco company product from Tesco or Sainsbury's.
One puff on a medium-power/sized device makes up their mind quite quickly... you know, an iStick with a Nautilus tank or similar.

I loved your post. Such passion and commitment to the cause. Nice. :)
“Mission” huh? I now imagine you deliberately buying SMOK mods because they self destruct in 15 seconds

Bah. For some reason the mission impossible exploding tape recorder gif won’t attach. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: djsvapour
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread