Status
Not open for further replies.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Hello Bishopheals, Im still getting used and playing with resistances etc. I have a multimeter coming in that allows me to measure the wires before wrapping etc. Ive been doing the guessing game and guesstimating the length to get the resistance I want. I have a question regarding watts , volt and resistances, Im using a little calculator for getting the numbers right.
I dont want to make this a long winded essay, but I use a Saber touch with a kick (18650) I set the watts at 8 and I was making my atty to read about 2.7- 3.1 , I noticed my vapor production was not as good, and taste was off. I was doing them at about 2.0-2.4 and all was better, but someone told me with a kick that it works more efficiently at about 2.7-2.9. At these numbers I also noticed that my coils were getting dirty faster, is it because my coils were not getting hot enough and the juice was just sort of building up and not getting hot enough to burn off hence the lack of good vapour?

I have been making my coils back at 2.4 aprx and I like the taste and vapour better, I do notice that my tank gets a bit warmer, is that normal, Im assuming that at lower resistance at 8 watts and output volts of 4.5 that its normal? I just want to make sure Im doing things correctly. I use 32g kanthal with sterling non-resistance. I make 4-5 wraps depending on how think my silica set up is. Let me know if you think there is an obvious error in what Im doing . I also notice that when I take the readings with a reg boge 2.0 ( which actual resistance is 2.2) under load I get a voltage reading of 4.25 when I put the ody on with the resistance of 2.4 - 2.5 I get an out put voltage of 4.5. Why would the Ody give a .5 difference?
thank you so much

BTW I also notice that when I make my wicks thicker that the coils stay cleaner than when I use thinner wick set ups.

Last edited:

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I just saw a couple of your videos and I thank you. I studied alot before I got my Ody and saw a few how to by Imeo and Scott but I saw the one linked above and saw your one on how to do a single coil with the double wicks and I learned more. I thank you so much for your informative and entertaining videos. Im sending you a great big bear hug ( and squeeze ) thank you so much.

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
I just saw a couple of your videos and I thank you. I studied alot before I got my Ody and saw a few how to by Imeo and Scott but I saw the one linked above and saw your one on how to do a single coil with the double wicks and I learned more. I thank you so much for your informative and entertaining videos. Im sending you a great big bear hug ( and squeeze ) thank you so much.

Thanks buddy I do all my vids to help the community.

As for your question the main reason is because juice will junk up the coil and the wick. In essence the more wick it has to heat the less chance it will burn dry on you resulting in metal dry taste. its a combination of wick with the ratio of how hot and time it takes coils to heat.

Instead of me getting to geeky in explaining this its easier to say that the quality of the coil and size (guage) matters a lot as well as the ohms that you want to build. Then you need to get the right amount of wick to use so you don't end up with metal or dry taste.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
thanks Bishopheals, I dont mind geeky replies, Im a bit of a geek( big geek) after watching a few of your vids I took Ody apart ( and yes I kiss my Ody too) measured my Kanthal to 2.25 inches (thanks for the guide) wrapped my wires with a tweezer and took my time just like in your video. It measured 2.4 ohms put it on my PV set at 8 watts and read out at 4.5 volts, let me tell you it was one of the greatest builds Ive had since I started, It has been performing outstandingly, so far the taste has not diminished at all. Im on my second tank fill and havent had to clean or dry burn yet.

I think what was going on was that I was making my set up to read 2.7 to 3.0 and that the resistance was too high, juice would heat up , but not enough so that the juice was just gunking up and not getting hot enough to really keep up with the vapor production and the juice would taste funky real soon.

I like all the tips you give as you demonstrate how to do things, I especially love the tip about using the paper towels so gramma doesnt get her fingers worn out, Ive been getting real dry and cut up finger tips, which is not good on a woman, my hands looked like a mechanic. I thank you again for all the help, youre a doll. Messed up hands, I can farget about it!!!

BTW this Ody has never given me a dry or metal taste, except when I tried my first cotton wick hybrid with the mesh , dont know what happened, the resistance came out at about 3 and almost no vapour. I think I didnt roll it tight enough and the wraps were too loose, not making contact with juice and wires.Next attempt just burned at the point where the mesh ended and contacted the cotton,will have to try it again.

Last edited:

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
Anavidfan I also tried a lot of combinations. I used to think that the more wick the better but the problem with this setup is that you increase your gunk if you don't have enough power like Bish uses. Never having a dry hit might lead eventually to gunk. That's why you should find your sweet spot between thickness of wick, juice used, resistance, and wire used. Don't forget that nichrome and kanthal have different resistance per inch. You need to find the right number of coils with the right length to get the right resistance on the right wick thickness with the right juice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread