Blood Pressure and PV's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shotline

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2010
Idaho
Has anyone experienced an increase in blood pressure since starting to use PV's? I just checked mine and my diastolic is running around 90 when it used to be in the 70's (high diastolic can be caused by nicotine). I am already on enalipril for my BP and am wondering if I am getting to much nicotine. I am using ejuice between 6 and 18mg.

Xenite

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
California
vaping101.blogspot.com
My blood pressure has went down actually. I was on 40mg bp pills for over a year and after I switched a month later to vaping from cigs my doctor moved me down to 20mg.

It's always hard for them to take it in the office and get accurate bp anyways, I seem to suffer from white coat syndrome. But I take it at home and I have noticed a huge difference. When I first switched I had to cut my bp pills in half before I got into the doctor because it dropped so much I was getting dizzy.

So for me it's had a hugely positive affect on my blood pressure.

Ohhh and btw enalapril is what I am on too. Used to be Altace which worked awesome but was $200 a month, so after I lost my insurance after an injury they had to switch me. :(

Last edited:

Shotline

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2010
Idaho
Hubby and I have both seen a good drop in our blood pressure since we started vaping/quit smoking. My resting pulse rate is down too. I don't know if you have any type of medical condition but I know that pain will drive up your BP. Were you in pain the day it was checked?

No, not in any pain and I am usually a pretty easy going person. My resting pulse rate seems to be down a bit as well. I have a portable bp kit and take my bp on a random basis. I can get it to come down by just sitting quietly but even then it will fluctuate between high and not so high.

I will just keep a check on it and next time I go to the doctor I will discuss it with him.

PaulB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2010
Virginia
Yesterday, I had my first checkup since I started vaping. My regular doctor is on extended sabbatical leave (must be nice...) so I had a substitute I didn't know. She expressed great delight in my "almost-quit" (like four a day) report, and didn't probe when I mentioned using an e-cigarette, just said "Awesome!"

But my BP was quite high for me--like 170 over 90. With meds, I'm accustomed to being able to keep it more like 120 over 70, and I hadn't been home testing much in recent mos. I always read higher at the doctor's office (like 140) because I'm a nervous patient, all the more so with an unfamiliar doctor. After a bit, it dropped to 158--still not good. So I'll have another visit soon to check my home cuff with theirs and probably adjust meds.

She didn't mention it at all, but I'm trying to figure out to what degree, if at all, this is nicotine-related. When the reading was done, it had been fully an hour since I'd vaped at all, and eight hours since my usual morning routine of a couple cigarettes and a couple drip-loads of 36mg (spread over my first 2-3 hours awake--not all that rapid-fire). Apart from that, I've lowered my strength down to 8mg for the remainder of the day. I know from when I was smoking steadily that my BP readings only seemed elevated if it took it within a half-hour or so after smoking. Not having consumed nicotine within an hour of the office test makes me think other things (coffee at lunch, a bit of weight gain...) might be playing a bigger part.

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
Went to the doc on Mon for my physical, and got a surprise: Weight down, BP
normal. This time I didn't vape for about 30 mins before the test, or drink coffee, and I stopped adding salt to my food since that last visit. Too many changes to tell what's helping, so I just assume it's a little of everything.

I think if I get serious about loosing some of this tonnage and getting some exercise it will work itself out.

Iceshack

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2010
Smiths Falls,Ontario
I am in pain all the time so my BP runs around 160 over 95 or more just because of pain so you are correct i9n saying pain is a factor. Now my sisters daughter had hers checked 2 days ago after being off the cigs and just vape.He said he was really pleased that her BP is now down to normal from being high for years. It has really made a big improvement for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread