Blu--E cigarette review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todsunde

Mar 11, 2011
Maryand
I got my Blu e-cigarette yesterday. The first thing I would like to comment on is the
fact that it did not take long for me to get my e-cig delivered. It only took four days
from the date of order for it to arrive. That being said. The Blu e-cigarette was very
disappointing. On there website they advertise that each cartridge is about 250 puffs,
but when I read through there instruction manual it stated 150 puffs. May not be a big
thing for some people, but 100 less puffs is quite a few. I ordered the magnificent menthol
flavor for my 5 cartridges. The only thing I can compare the taste to is the nastiest
menthol cigarette I have tasted. Granted this was my first e-cig, and I am by no means
an expert on them, but is it supposed to be so hard to get a decent hit off of one?
I felt like I was trying to suck a golf ball through a garden hose. It took three or four
hard puffs to get a decent hit off of it. I would not recommend this product.

APD99

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Mar 11, 2011
    Bristol, PA
    I hate to be the dissenting opinion, but it's been 24 hours and i'm still loving my BLU. Friend of mine has a No.7 and he thinks that the BLU would have been a better choice. Also I've ordered some 306 blank cartos and i'm planning to do some flavor experimenting once i get them. But to be fair i do have one complaint about BLU, the batteries are super sensitive so it's firing off even in the PCC (I've learned to unscrew my cart when i'm done to save the juice), but other than the fact that if you don't read around about other cartomizers you can't do refilling i'm going to stick with the blu

Rosa

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 18, 2010
    Beaverton, Oregon!
    I hate to be the dissenting opinion, but it's been 24 hours and i'm still loving my BLU. Friend of mine has a No.7 and he thinks that the BLU would have been a better choice. Also I've ordered some 306 blank cartos and i'm planning to do some flavor experimenting once i get them. But to be fair i do have one complaint about BLU, the batteries are super sensitive so it's firing off even in the PCC (I've learned to unscrew my cart when i'm done to save the juice), but other than the fact that if you don't read around about other cartomizers you can't do refilling i'm going to stick with the blu

fwiw: if your blu is firing off without provocation it's possible that you got a little e-juice in there.

I'd like to hear an update after a month of Blu and see how it's going.

Hey be glad to be the dissenting opinion, glad it worked out for you :)
    I've read bad things about my $20 nJoy, but that's working fine for me as well. I think the rule of thumb is always "your mileage may vary," with the less recommended brands being a bit more of a dice roll for new users.

APD99

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Mar 11, 2011
    Bristol, PA
    fwiw: if your blu is firing off without provocation it's possible that you got a little e-juice in there.

I'd like to hear an update after a month of Blu and see how it's going.

I'll let you know in a month how I'm doing, but i haven't done any refilling yet and the batery is firing off even without an attached cart. I've actually read that this is an issue with the blu but no mods or remedys to prevent it that i've seen.

Glam

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 18, 2011
    La Salle, Illinois
    I also tried the Blu as one of my first. I got it in the mail---found that the draw was way too hard. Called them and had my return number and put it back in the mail to them all within 2 hours. I do not know how the taste was because I could not draw enough vapor to tell. They did refund my money without any problems. I am now happily suckiing on my XL Vapor4Life batteries with my V4L cartos, and am going to order a Go Go as soon as they are back in stock. Hang in there--there are so many better products than Blu out there.

jlarsen

ECF Veteran
    Feb 23, 2011
    Helena, MT
    Problems with Blu (speaking from experience):

Customer service is mediocre, and inconsistent (sometimes it is good).

Shipping is inconsistent, sometimes it is acceptably short, other times outrageously long.

Attys/cartos are mediocre and inconsistent (they don't tend to burn out, but but just don't work as well as others).

Batteries are very low capacity and don't last (80mAh, I believe, though they try to keep that information hidden).

System is 510 compatible, but geared for use with Blu cartomizers and not drip/refill friendly or recommended to work with other 510 equipment (though you can in a pinch).

Little given on their site in the way of specs for parts (battery capacity, etc.) - and information on their site can be inaccurate (claim that their battery is 5mm wide when it is actually 8mm)

Batteries are notorious for going off in your pocket or other inappropriate times, worse than any other 510 automatic batteries I've used.

Cartridges (old style) wasted a lot of juice and had problems with juice leaking out of the mouthpiece. With the cartomizers you have to suck real hard to get a mediocre amount of vapor.

Blu pros:

PCC is a good design (size and shape), with good storage space.

System is easy to use for beginners. (regardless, I wouldn't recommend them, even for a beginner)

Cart/carto flavors taste/smell good, love that Java Jolt (when you can get enough vapor out of them).

Last edited:

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 9, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Unintentional firing is not uncommon with automatic batteries. They are activated by a sensor when you inhale but many other things can activate them also, vibrations, noises, etc., which is why manual batteries that are activated by the press of a button are widely recommended over automatics. Best advise I can give for those is to keep the cart unattached when not in use and store them in a quiet area.

jlarsen

ECF Veteran
    Feb 23, 2011
    Helena, MT
    Unintentional firing is not uncommon with automatic batteries. They are activated by a sensor when you inhale but many other things can activate them also, vibrations, noises, etc., which is why manual batteries that are activated by the press of a button are widely recommended over automatics. Best advise I can give for those is to keep the cart unattached when not in use and store them in a quiet area.

True, but Blu batteries fire unintentionally far more often than other automatics. You almost can't touch them or pick them up without them going off, and considering you have to pull on them so hard it makes the veins in your head stand out just to get a little vapor, it seems a bit excessive to have the most sensitive battery imaginable.

Also, if you carry a Blu in your pocket with the carto attached, it will be dead from unintentional misfirings before you get a chance to use it.

I carry my Halo automatic around in my pocket, and I don't have that problem, like I have with the Blu batts before.

Let's face it, on a good day, Blu still sucks.

jlarsen

ECF Veteran
    Feb 23, 2011
    Helena, MT
    If you start off with Blu, you might think they are alright (I did - it was months before I realized that I was using an inferior product), until you try something better.

I spent a week using my Blu batts with other cartos and attys and cartridges, re-filling, and direct dripping. Better than nothing but still not recommended.

Blu doesn't sell blank cartos (as far as I know) and refilling an old Blu carto means waiting for it to run dry, but you're still going to get flavor mixing issues because you can't start with a blank, and you can't get Blu's custom flavors in liquid form (that I'm aware of).

If you're going to be using other's attys/carts or cartomizers, and other's liquids to refill. Then it comes down to using an inferior battery, but for what reason? Because you've spent a fair amount of money on the startup kit? I felt the same way.

Using Blu batts with other equipment got me through a week until my Halo shipment came in. But as far as refilling and such, I can't think of a worse system to use for it than Blu.

And as far as the batteries misfiring, there is no fix. It will always happen, and when you are starting with one of the smallest capacity batteries available to begin with, you just end up with almost nothing left to vape with.

A lot of seasoned vapers criticize the small 510 battery systems, and claim that 180mAh isn't much of a step up from Blu. Yes, there are times I wish I had something in the 900mAh range. But a 180mAh is a HUGE improvement over Blu, and only slightly larger, you barely notice the difference in size.

IMHO.

Last edited:

yoyoma_mda

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 10, 2010
    San Diego
    trust me, you will become so flustered with the blu that either you will go back to analogs or move up the echelon.

you have 3 options IMO,

1. get a mod that uses removable lithium ion batteries that typically last much longer than a cig sized e cig, BUT they are sometimes large and hard on the eyes depending on your taste

2. get a proprietary battery manufactured mod like an ego or riva, this will be more like a cigar and is often times the end all be all for many people

3. get a reliable cartomizer e cig (cig sized), like a bloog, I love mine, and haven't used my mods for quite a while. HOWEVER you will have to use them responsibly, meaning you will have to refill them off the battery (i tend to prepare 5 filled cartomizers before I leave for the day). If you gamble with these batteries, unfortunately you will lose, however mine have been strong for 2 months so far with proper routines. This is an automatic e cig though, if you pick up manual batteries this will never be an issue.

APD99

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Mar 11, 2011
    Bristol, PA
    one week on the BLU and I'm still enjoying it. I did however buy one of the $45 clearance ego kits from cignot (should get here today) and a Riva as part of a lot with some DIY juice stuff (should get here soon I hope) but I plan to continue to use my BLU for one simple reason...it works...that's right it just works. It's not the best out there, it's not the worst out there and i'm frankly shocked at the total hatred of the BLU. Blu bashers remind me of car bashers, seems like there has been a whole crapload of bashing from a very few test drives.

uba egar320

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 9, 2009
    WV
    one week on the BLU and I'm still enjoying it. I did however buy one of the $45 clearance ego kits from cignot (should get here today) and a Riva as part of a lot with some DIY juice stuff (should get here soon I hope) but I plan to continue to use my BLU for one simple reason...it works...that's right it just works. It's not the best out there, it's not the worst out there and i'm frankly shocked at the total hatred of the BLU. Blu bashers remind me of car bashers, seems like there has been a whole crapload of bashing from a very few test drives.

There are hundreds of bad Blu reviews. Not everyone is bashing just to bash. For the money, you can do better. If it works for you, that's great. But one week in isn't very long.

I agree with Rosa, get back to us in a month. Give us your pov then. Some folks still claim they like them. Many send them back before then.

El-ahrairah

ECF Veteran
    Mar 14, 2010
    Chesterfield, MI
    Blucigs were my first ecig as well and I quite enjoyed them. I used them until all their components died, then I bought some other stuff. However, now that I'm rocking a 510 atty on a 1000mAh eGo-T battery, there's no way I could go back to a Blu.

I have a couple friends that I turned on to vaping while I was still using my Blu and they bought them as well and seem perfectly happy with them. The way I see it is, at the end of the day it's not about what equipment is best and who has it; it's about one more person saving themselves from smoking.

uba egar320

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 9, 2009
    WV
    Blucigs were my first ecig as well and I quite enjoyed them. I used them until all their components died, then I bought some other stuff. However, now that I'm rocking a 510 atty on a 1000mAh eGo-T battery, there's no way I could go back to a Blu.

I have a couple friends that I turned on to vaping while I was still using my Blu and they bought them as well and seem perfectly happy with them. The way I see it is, at the end of the day it's not about what equipment is best and who has it; it's about one more person saving themselves from smoking.

While that is very true, you've moved on to a system that gives you more with less effort. Right? Point being, there is no reason to beat yourself up when trying to vape. I'm not saying that one needs to run out and buy the biggest baddest system available. Just that there is a much easier way to go about it.

mlinky

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 22, 2010
    Kentucky

As soon as you have your new kit, the BLU will be gathering dust. Nothing wrong with anything that works to get you off cigarettes, but there are so many better choices at lower prices.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread