Boge cartos burning filler health concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaptor

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2012
sydney
Out of curiosity I've opened two Boge LR 2.1ohm cartos that I vape between 3.2V-3.5V. One carto has 4 fills the other has 6.
I disassembled the cartos and washed them thoroughly. The material that wraps the coil is burned, the one with 6 fills
has even a hole burned in it. I have also noticed the solder being used to hold the wire. Don't know if the solder has lead in or not.
It brings me to a question how save these cartos are so I've stopped using them till I find some answers.
If you got some, lets hear it. Boge-1.jpg Boge-2.jpg

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Try using a tank.....a wet carto cant burn.

I'm not so sure about that. I'm thinking part of the polyfill isn't GETTING wet. I vaped yesterday w/one and it was full full full of juice. and I still got some nasty dry hits, the kind that make you feel like you just had gasoline splashed in your esophagus.

Back to my bottom feeder w/atty for sure now.

I've never made it to 6 fills ...... but I vape high VG.

Tanks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2012
Northern VA
I use 3.0ohm Boge laser drilled cartos on my J-Tank as well as Boge LR cartos to taste new juices and I have had zero problems..

This is either; A) User error or B) Faulty Cartos (I don't think it's B).

Like ghostrider said wet cartos don't burn.. It's not the cartos fault that the majority of the juice was vaped. :2c:

I don't think this is anything more than a dry carto.. It looks like the carto was only partially full. Only the top 1/2 - 3/4 of the filler is burnt. It doesn't have to be completely empty to cause this.. If the filler isn't wet near the coil then this will happen and I'm willing to bet that was the cause. Next time try topping the carto off more often and see if that makes a difference.

Keep us updated. I'd like to hear what the cause was.

jazzbo

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2011
Orlando, Fl
Cartos were always a fiddly beast for me. I used to love Smoktech dc1.5 XLs for those times I couldn't drip, and I took a few apart that had degraded in vapor production for curiosity's sake (had NEVER had a burnt hit, or allowed them to go dry so that one could tell) and I also had at least scorch marks, if not outright burn marks. But I never used them in tanks, so like the OP, can't take one apart to see if there is a difference. I do know that I've used some clear cartos in the past and on filling them would always have a small pocket or void where the juice just never filled in -- even after quite some time had passed.

These days, if i have to drip in between fills, I'm gonna drip an atty -- far superior taste and vapor. If I need to use a tank, I'll bypass the middleman (carto) and use a vivi nova mini or T3. But that's me. One less thing to worry about. :vapor:

Vaptor

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2012
sydney
The part that is burned is burned where the coil is, the coil doesn't extent any further.
As for the dry carto, I've considered it but can't be. Boge carto takes 35 drops on the first fill. When I refill, I can't fit any more than 20 drops.
So as you can see I run cartos to only about 1/3 empty and no less.

I'd really like for more people to take few minutes and open old cartos, take a good look and state if used with tank or not.
I want to get to the bottom of this and find out if it's common or not. It's important for all vapers to know that we vape safely.

Last edited:

Tanks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2012
Northern VA
The part that is burned is burned where the coil is, the coil doesn't extent any further.
As for the dry carto, I've considered it but can't be. Boge carto takes 35 drops on the first fill. When I refill, I can't fit any more than 20 drops.
So as you can see I run cartos to only about 1/3 empty and no less.

I'd really like for more people to take few minutes and open old cartos, take a good look and state if used with tank or not.
I want to get to the bottom of this and find out if it's common or not. It's important for all vapers to know that we vape safely.

See bold text. Notice on the filler that 1/2 to 2/3 is burnt. It is getting burnt when you are taking your last few toots (which would be when your carto is nearing and/or at the 1/3 point according to the bold text). I recommend, in the future, you check the cartos occasionally. When the top of the filler (the part you see when looking into the carto) looks dry/semi-dry put some drops in to top it off.

Best of luck to you! Maybe try a mega carto so you can vape longer between top offs.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Well, too bad nobody can do a "touch test" on my photos, but I can assure you, the filler was sopping wet when I pulled it for a photo. I mean if you pressed on it, juice flowed out like a sponge. So we cannot say that any part of my polyfill was not wet.

Yet, I pulled one, precisely because I was getting dry hits. Bad ones. No matter what I did, and it's brand new----it's a terrible photo, sorry, so I will describe......even though the photo shows areas that look white, they aren't......they were wet as wet could be. I was pressing onto a white paper plate, so some of the juice was soaking into it.

Now, look around the bottom edges. Photo doesn't show well (again, bad camera) but the edges were all burnt up, all along the bottom......yet, they were VERY WET.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4457/im002444.jpg

Explain why dry hits. Obviously, either there is something wrong with the coils.......or the material that the polyfill is made out of has changed in manufacture now.

So, I take another one out of the package. Fill and screw on ego. DEAD. No sounds. Take it off there, put it onto a different battery. DEAD. No coil heating. Put it into Vmod bottom feeder....DEAD.

So, box of 5, I've already thrown out 2.

TheVap3Junkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2012
Bunker Hill, WV
Boges are definitely not as consistent as they used to be. The main theory is that the wrapping of the polyfill is inconsistent some times they get wrapped too tight and wont wick. Thats the main reason I switched to Vivinovas. My opinion is that the occasional dry hit off a carto that results in a small amount of polyfill burning is still much safer than a cigarette

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
Out of curiosity I've opened two Boge LR 2.1ohm cartos that I vape between 3.2V-3.5V. One carto has 4 fills the other has 6.
I disassembled the cartos and washed them thoroughly. The material that wraps the coil is burned, the one with 6 fills
has even a hole burned in it. I have also noticed the solder being used to hold the wire. Don't know if the solder has lead in or not.
It brings me to a question how save these cartos are so I've stopped using them till I find some answers.
If you got some, lets hear it. View attachment 152461 View attachment 152462
Your photo's are very typical as far as I am concerned and all of the filler type carto's will look burned after you notice a drop in performance. I use them and when they start loosing performance I throw then out and use a new one. There is no way to clean them to make them perform like when new. Yes you might be able to limp them by for awhile but it will not be good and will not produce vapor like it should. When the Diaper around the coil burns it will no longer wick the coil like it should because the Diaper is what moistens the coil. Like you think every one should take some apart like you did when they quit performing and they will see for themselves. All you can do is keep them moist at all times and try not to chain vape them, use a couple of them at a time and switch back and forth so the coil can get juice to it and moisten the diaper, because when the diaper drys out it WILL burn and its shot. Hope this helps. Also their is a long thread about this subject called -- Burning Cartomisers? Dangerous? here on the ECF.

Last edited:

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
The secret to Boges is keeping them wet, as everyone else has said. Since the coil sits almost halfway up the wick tube, it runs dry faster than a bottom coil carto does, so you need to keep it topped off regularly or use it in a tank. I kept burning up Boges because of this, as I would sometimes forget to top off, so I switched to Kangers. Problem solved.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
I havent used the bogegate cartos but with any carto I've used it takes fiddling if your not using a tank. you have to keep your mind occupied with "OK how much is my carto saturated right now?" and "OK did that just taste dry? I think so. I need to juice it up" and so, you really have to keep this in mind. You have to know when to refill the carto before you burn the filler beyond repair. Once the filler is burned to a certain point, its like wrapping the coil in a hard, burnt plastic cocoon, and from that point on, your cartomizer wont work well, it'll burn because juice wont be able to penetrate the burnt plastic area thats blocking your coils. that means you need to start taking notice to when your getting scratchy hits to prevent burns before this happens. With the bogegate cartos, there is something wrong in the design. (I think?) so you have to take that into consideration.. the air flow, the way its tasting, you have to keep a lot in mind and keep that thing happy. its not light and suck smoking... we're sucking on machines.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
If the burnt carto bugs you that much....theres always analogs. :blink:

Oh, in other words: "They're addicts, they'll accept/put up with anything."

Not good when a manufacturer starts thinking like this, but I can't believe we have customers who are giving them the go-ahead :nah:

Sorry, I work hard for my money. Boge-gate is simply a matter of finding they could make something cheaper by changing something, and in this case, the something deteriorated the product. They were made aware of it, and now vendors and customers are left holding the bag.

Plumes.91, you gave a good explanation of the whole thing. In my case, it wasn't "did that just taste dry", it was like a full on assault to my entire throat and esophagus. It hurt!

That's why I pulled out the innards, I had to see what was happening. This was a brand new carto. correctly filled.

rem700

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2011
Mn
Been getting dry hit burns recently with brand new cartos on the first hit.
I have even went to condom over filling letting sit for 10-15 minutes then removing excess juice and still get dry hits even on the very first hit. XXL SR which usually meter right around 2 ohm and I vape right around 4volt.
Recently started into RBA with 10-15 boxes of Boges sitting in the drawer.:mad:

Vaptor

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2012
sydney
I did some experimenting now using a tank with the cartos. Still get burns tho less. On the other hand one carto I've never found to be burned is Kanger horizontal coil. But it's got other problems like sometimes they can small bad from the silicon they use on the inside and the only last about 4 fills before starting to taste bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread