Status
Not open for further replies.

Lethalp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2011
Indiana
I see that most ppl fall into one camp or the other on this subject. So which is it for u?

Smoktech or Boge cartos?

How do u use them? In tanks? Or just as a carto?

Why do u preferr one over the other?

How is the filler different?

If u use them in tanks, how may holes?

How long does one last u?

Do u clean them?

I have always used Smoktech cartos, as cartos, but I have been having trouble getting them to work recently, and I have also had trouble with them flooding in tanks. I am getting frustrated, I have 4 tanks and can't use any of them. So I am considering getting some boge cartos and trying them. I prefer my vape warm and thick, and usually use a LR dc 1.5 to 1.8 xl carto on myvv woodie. Any help or suggestions appreciated, thanks!! :)

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
dustysfoodieadventures.blogspot.ca
Smoktech 1.7 and 2.8 single coil cartos are pretty much all I use now, depending on what device I'm using. I have them in different sizes and love them in all their iterations. Shorty, 35mm and 44mm.

I use them with drip-tips on them and top up as they start to get dry. Couple drops for every few minutes worth of usage. I will be testing them with a tank over the weekend. My last venture into tanks did not go that well and I kinda stayed away from them

I have noticed the most recent batch has some QC issues when it comes to wicking and/or flooding. Some cartos are wrapped super tight and juice does not wick through.

Carto usually gets used about 4 days and then chucked into the garbage bin. They are cheap enough to replace that I don't bother cleaning them.

erictho

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
Edmonton
i'm a dedicated buyer of each of these. i really like the boge lr cartos, but i use them exclusively on my bottom feeder. they're awesome little cartos, i just find they need more topping off than a smoktech lr dcc. so for me it's easier to just bottom feed them when they need it.
i've bee using the smoktech xl cartos for months, and i just recently bought my first tank and i'm hooked on them. i haven't experienced any flooding but the prepunched cartos i've received have only one hole in them (apparently the standard is now three?).
the polyfill in the smoktech cartos seem to absorb liquid more readily upon first use, but the boge polyfill is fairly receptive after the first fill as far as i have noticed.
on average i find that the smoktech dcc often gives me about 2 weeks worth of use, while the boges usually last 1 week on average. i've had a few of each push one month of use though.
i'm one of those sort who don't clean their cartos. at under $2 a piece for any of the above, i find it's fair mileage for the price. i just toss them when they're not doing it for me anymore.

~Shado~

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2010
^-^-^5280^-^-^
I use both....in tanks and as stand alones...

I have been a devoted Boge user for a few years....and have added the Smokteks strictly for use on my eGos/Infernos.

Boges are 3.0 ohm....in 3ml Cartomator tanks on all my ProVaris (3) and LT's (5)..... and a 5ml JTank on my Silver Bullet (Kicked)... holes vari but are between 2 and 4 holes

SmokTek's are 1.7 ohm ...in 3ml tanks on several of my eGo/Infernos....with the one hole made bigger

I run so many PV's at the same time (average 12+ always)....I dont really know just how long any one carto last...I just change them out when they take a crapper....and keep the Vape Train a rollin!!!

To me cleaning them is a waste of time and energy.....cant beat the taste of a good fresh carto, now can ya?

Last edited:

wyetterp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Murrells Inlet, SC
Smoktech or Boge cartos?

I like them both.

How do u use them? In tanks? Or just as a carto?

Smoketech not in tanks, but boges in tanks. ST's just flood way to easily in a tank but refill super easy if I'm only using it as a stand alone carto. Boges I just use a saddle valve & punch one good size hole depending on how think the juice is. If it's supper thin I just punch a smaller hole. I then condom fill & place in & fill the tank & get to vaping.

Why do u preferr one over the other?

Boges because they suit my needs no matter what the situation. Especially now that the XL boges are out that fit the dual coil tanks.

How is the filler different?

The boges are tighter packed & hold juice better imo. They also last longer in tanks. I heard something about ST using a paper material around the coil (vs. mesh on the boge) & it tends to collapse in tanks if to much liquid gets in. Hence why you need a pin size hole.

If u use them in tanks, how may holes?

This is a funny thing I posted a thread about. I only vape 100% vg & only need one punched hole. Like I said before, a slightly bigger for think juice & smaller for really thin. Believe it or not, not all 100%vg is think. In fact some is almost as runny as water. Only thing I need two holes is with Boba's. As far as slotting, it just doesn't work for me. I always end up flooding no matter if it's a small slot. No way can I do two slots. Just doesn't work for me. But, this isn't the same for everyone. Some people can have two slots & never flood. :confused: I think it comes down to your style & pace of your vape. It doesn't take long to figure out what works best for you.

How long does one last u?

I can easily run 30ml through a carto/tank. If it's a juice I really like at high voltage & won't push it as long. Once it taste a little off or stops feeding as well I usually just change it for a new or clean one. I keep a stash of all of them that I've used & usually clean them before deciding if I will throw them out. If they look burnt up top I just toss them. Surprisingly they still work well if they are aren't that used & cleaned. I change flavors a lot so I just keep a rotation. If they don't seem satisfying or taste good, I don't have a problem throwing them away & buying new one's to stay of the stinkies.

Do u clean them?

Yup. Guess you saw that one coming. I boil mine several time like Pbusardo gave a review of.

Taste Your Juice | Cleaning Boge 510 LR Cartos

Great site by the way if you haven't been through it. Anyway, I do a few things different, but pretty much the same. I have a electric water warmer I use. After they've boiled for a while, I just drain them then add that hot water right back on top & straight back to the burner with the pot. I feel like this just keeps the aluminum from warping any & it keeps the hole process moving. I do this as many times as it takes till I can only smell boiling water & not a barrage of liquid fragrances. After they are done I just drain them, throw them in two thick socks, & toss them in the dryer for a cycle. Usually with a load of clothes just to keep them banging all around. After that they are good to go right of the bat. Something I have notices though is that with ST duels they some short a coil. I always check them on the provari to see what the atty ohm's are.

I have always used Smoktech cartos, as cartos, but I have been having trouble getting them to work recently, and I have also had trouble with them flooding in tanks. I am getting frustrated, I have 4 tanks and can't use any of them. So I am considering getting some boge cartos and trying them. I prefer my vape warm and thick, and usually use a LR dc 1.5 to 1.8 xl carto on myvv woodie. Any help or suggestions appreciated, thanks!!

Give some XL boges & a saddle valve (best $7 you can spend & almost all hardware stores have them) a try for your dc tanks. I'm to a point now I don't even see a need to bother experimenting with anything else. They satisfy me in every way.

Ok, hope this helps. Over & out.

Andy Thatcher

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2012
Brit in Orlando
Boge 3 ohms on tanked ProVari. Sometimes a 2 ohm by usually SR. I slit rather than hole mine.

Have a stock of Resurrectors that get used from time to time on my VMod.

I use more Boge's as I have 3ml tanks and prefer the flexibility SR cartos give me with voltage on a Vari. Can't really say that I prefer one over the other.

Have tried cleaning and that never quite works out. Uses both boiling and siphoning hot water through a syringe but there is always something musty about the taste of the juice in the cleaned carto that I can do without. So now just throw them out.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

sandscards

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2012
Broken Arrow, OK
I know that Crystal Clear Vaping carries them but is out. I got my batch from 310 vapers and, at least a couple of days ago ahd the stainless in stock to use in tanks. You just have to punch them. I am also going to try the single coil 3 ohm from Smoktech when more people carry them. They are flanged and pre-punched. That should give me a good comparison between the two. I use DCT so I need the Smoktech for the tanks or the Boge XL or XXL whichever they call them now. I think I saw where Hairball said they were discontinuing the Boge XL and the XXL will be the new XL. Hope that makes sense.

Lethalp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2011
Indiana
I have another sort of weird question about cleaning

Do u think maybe the quality of your tap water could have something to do with the taste left in the cartos? I have nasty tap water, maybe I will buy some distilled water and see if that gets the funk out?

Anyone else have funky water, or have u tried distilled to clean them?

Sent from my vaping lair

newq

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Eldersburg Maryland USA
I buy my boge LR XL's from electronicstix.com Good price and fast shipping. I used to buy smoktechs for use in my smoktanks but shortly after buying smoktanks and the orioginal cartos they changed the filler design of the smoktech and they went to serious crap. They wouldnt wick thick vg like bobas nor would they handle thin high pg count liquid as they would flood and moved to boges and use pbusardos howto on slotting cartos.

I tank all my cartos ,I enjoy the boge vapor, It seems to hit alot less harsh than the DC's and always wicks properly. HOWEVER. i cannot get a carto to last for much more than 30mls. Either the carto begins flooding from wear out or the draw gets too tight. I am not completely satisfied with either carto but atleast boge cartos are much more useful. FYI I only use 100%vg or 50/50 mix. I personally believe the whole dual coil thing is a bit overrated. I would settle for a carto that worked over a multiple coil that was worthless.

dcannon1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
Savannah, GA
On my VV devices I use Boge SR cartos almost exclusively. I find the SR allows me to use the full range of voltages on almost all devices without worrying about various amp/wattage limits or carto life.

On 3.7v mechanical mods, I use Boge LR cartos almost exclusively.

In both cases they are used in tanks and as stand alone.

I haven't tried the XL Boge's, but they highly interest me and will probably order some soon.

When trying new flavors I usually try a couple drops on an atty to try it, then if I love it, it goes in a tank with a Boge carto, and if I like it, but don't love it enough for extended vaping, I'll just put it in a carto (no tank).

I've found that Boge cartos in tanks can last a very long time (15-35ml of juice depending on the juice). They tend to last less time when used by themselves. This is presumably because they aren't kept as wet. I do have a bottom feed mod coming that I plan on trying to use with Boges that I top off often to test lifespan.

I haven't cleaned any yet, but I do have quite a few spent cartos saved up that I plan on cleaning the next time my wife is out of town (pretty sure she wouldn't like me monopolizing the kitchen for boiling cartos while she was here).

I did order a Smoketech DC tank with a preinstalled carto one time. It was DOA, so I don't have any input there.

Last edited:

rasic

Feb 1, 2012
tx, houston
I've been on the same boge cartos for about a week now which is 5ml. A day. I do notice that a carto will last longer when in a tank rather than just dripping into it throughout the day maybe cause it's constantly wet? Never was a fan with the smoktech especially the pre drilled mainly why I bought a carto punch. But they made me have a allergic reaction, something to do with the glue they use I think

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've used both and found them to be roughly equal with one aggravating build quality difference. I get batches of cartos that have differences in the thread quality. Right now, I have black Boge 3.0 and 2.0 that have perfect threads. I just got in 6 boxes of Boge 3.0 stainless steel that rock slightly when screwed into my Provari or my Ego. It's not bad, but I know it can be better and more precision.

Yes, I'm ticky about precision, but I notice little things like that. I also notice the wicking abilities of various lots of cartos. Some condom fill perfectly and vape well immediately. Others have to sit for hours to completely soak up my 100% PG clear juice. I'd just like to be able to depend on any carto brand to be consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread