Status
Not open for further replies.

recidivus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Canada
www.youtube.com
So I was perusing my local vendor, and noticed that they were carrying a new carto-tank, the Boge F16. Of course, the first thing I did was hop over here to see if if there were any opinions on them. Lo behold, I couldn't find much of any information on them at all beyond a few vendors (seeing as they were just added this week). I took the plunge, ordered one and a pack of LR cartos, paid for the expedited shipping because my supplies were dwindling. They have just arrived, so I figured I'd pop in and give a brief write up on them. On with the show!

-----------------------------
Right off the bat, I wasn't expecting terribly much. I even ordered some xxl cartos because I was expecting to be let down. Previous experience was telling me I was wasting my money, but I love the idea of big tanks and I'm determined to test every vape I can.

The tank is around 68mm (2 3/4") long and 19mm (3/4") diameter. Capacity is 4-5mL, depending on how full you can get it.

The Tank: Right out of the box, this thing has some weight. The caps are solid aluminum alloy and quite pleasing on the eyes. Trying to wiggle them around they wouldn't budge, at all. So far so good. They're sealed with O-rings, which was an automatic plus over the grommet seals of my previous ones. However, they have an inner o-ring where the carto slides in that is quite tight (this is a good thing), so I took extra care when sliding in the carto. More later.

The tank itself is a thicker plastic (listed as "plastics", I'm not sure what plastics though). Crystal clear with no scratches, and it feels extremely sturdy. This isn't some thin-walled syringe plastic, it's hefty. I don't have any juice that is known to crack tanks so I have to hold back on saying it'll handle them, though with Boges reputation I expect it to be quality.

Filling it is a little harder than the grommet style. Normally I would tilt the carto and drip it in without issue, but the F16 caps are thicker and metal, so there's less give. I (and boge) recommend a syringe to fill, it'll make the process a lot easier. In the hour I've had it, laying it on it's side, upside down, right side up, there's been no noticeable leaks.

The cartos: I've not used Boge yet, so I wasn't sure what to expect. They're ~70mm (a little over 2 3/4') + threading and tip. I decided to go with the LR (1.8) ones since most of my batteries aren't VV. As I mentioned, filling them is a little odd, as the filler within only takes up around half the space. This made it a little hard for me to see when it was properly saturated. This led to my overzealous filling and subsequent flooding, nothing I haven't dealt with before though. Live and learn. The base of the carto is the usual "not completely round", though the tank base is completely round, so there's a lack of "grip" for screwing in. There's very little extra carto on top, which made screwing it in a little difficult, luckily all my drip tips (even one that was always a bit loose) fit extremely snug, so this is only a minor problem. It's a little loosely seated, but altogether a good fit. Also, as mentioned, the inner o-rings provide a very (VERY) tight seal. I can't say for sure without dismantling it, but I'll assume they can be replaced if they ever do get damaged. Another plus.

Before filling/putting on my ego 1000 I took some dry pulls to test the airflow. Personally I prefer a tighter draw; it's a little loose, but not bad enough to be a deal breaker. They came pre-punched with 2 ~1mm holes. I've been vaping 100%VG lately, so seeing a carto I don't have to mod first just made my day.

The Vape: I honestly can't complain about this at all. Oh, I guess I could, the draw's a little loose, but now I'm just being obsessively picky. The end result on a standard "3.7v" ego battery is a wonderful big cloud, ALMOST on par with dripping (arguably equal). It's not quite as thick as the DCT I was using at 4.8v, but I only have one vv and having to wait for a charge is not an option. Flavour-wise, it's clean, cool, no funny after taste, and not a hint of burnt filler. It's louder than I'm used to; but hearing that sizzle is music to my ears.

I've been chaining since I started writing this up, pushing the carto beyond what I normally do, waiting to get a dry hit or some bad taste or SOMETHING, but nothing yet. I didn't even wait to let the juice fully settle in. No primer puffs, just filled and vaped.

All in all, with the superb build quality and materials, and coming in at only 10$CAD, the pros far outweigh the cons. For someone who was about to give up on tanks, this is a solid entry.
-------------------------

Well, I'm not exactly a professional reviewer, and I tend to ramble on a bit, but I hope someone who's been eyeing the F16 finds this useful. I'll keep puffing away trying to find a major flaw since this is still day 1. I just figured SOME kind of opinion on them would be useful.

Last edited:

recidivus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Canada
www.youtube.com
Purchased from Vaporgeek(dot com).

I JUST saw that tank filler yesterday while trying to find out about possible damage I could cause. The smoketeks I was using before were not nearly as tight so it was never an issue. Unfortunately, shipping costs for such a small bit of equipment would make it cost around the same as a new battery. I'll keep my eyes open for something similar up here, till then I'll just have to be extra careful.

I'll be back later today to update this post with a small "24 hours" update, and pictures (camera batteries are officially dead).

-------------------------------------------------
Okay, so I didn't get a chance to come back yesterday as promised.

Some things came up and I decided to go through a full vape/refill cycle. Apparently my liquid consumption has gone down dramatically since last time I "measured".

I digress:

48 hours later and still no leaks. There was some slight condensation on the shorty cone, but it was far less than a drops worth and wasn't enough to escape and stain clothing.

The tank is listed as 4mL (should have that in title, sorry for the mix up), but it holds just shy of 5mL, plus a saturated carto. The tank itself is 5mL on the nose, but the needle takes up a little space and now I'm just being pedantic.

I've since taken the caps completely off and a quick eyeball measurement says the tank walls are ~1 - 1.5mm thick. I'm not comfortable doing a complete disassembly of a new tank so I can't say how easily replaceable the o-rings are.

In my first impressions I said that the caps were tight, and they are; but once it's been filled they can be a little loose. This is a minor issue when filling since you have to move the carto out of the way a little and on second fill it wasn't moving the carto rather it was pushing the cap slightly off kilter. I'm sure that if I wasn't paying attention I could have popped the bottom cap right off and had a spill. Don't do this over your Wacom folks!

Cap inner o-rings are much easier to get the carto through now. As Vpndrgn pointed out, a carto/tank filler is probably a good idea. I'll be picking one up when I can afford the shipping up here, till then I'll be ordering an additional tank locally as a backup (we all have backups of everything...right?). With enough force it could pop the tip off and slide completely off the carto, resulting in a major spill (here's an example of what COULD happen A PBusardo Review - Smoktech Tanks - YouTube).

The carto still wicks fine, though I will redact my comment about it being dandy; primer puffs are needed if you're using a thicker juice. I'm on 100%VG and add a few drops of distilled water to thin it out but I still take a quick primer. Anyone who's tasted a burnt coil will know why it's best to be cautious.

I also mention that the cartos gripped the drip tips very snugly, and that it was good. While this still hold true I've since discovered that one of my tips will not fit at all unless I replace the o-ring on it. Since I use my tips for other things this is not an option, which is unfortunate because I'm quite fond of that one. Nothing major, but something that needs mentioning.

The bottom cap doesn't have the flat edges found on the smaller smoketek tanks. Without the flat edges it won't screw in tightly, eventually just spinning around the carto. The tight fitting drip tip comes in handy here since you can just screw it on by twisting the tip, but those flat edges would really come in handy. It is on well enough to make contact, but there's a fair bit of wiggle. I'm using an "ego shorty cone C" which keeps it on the level. Not everyone has one and this could be an issue, and you shouldn't need one.

As for the loose draw on the cartos, I've discovered a semi-solution. I happened to have another shorty cone (straight edge) so tried putting that under the tank. When unscrewed to be flush with the tank I got a very tight draw. Screwing it down a 1/4ish turn lets more air flow in. With these you can have some control over the draw. It's not a perfect solution, but it does work if required. I prefer the bevelled cone because it covers the entire base of the tank and looks better. This is a purely a personal preference. Pshaw.

All said, it's still a well built tank that just happens to have some issues. It may not be perfect for you, but it may be just what you're looking for. I'm sure I missed some points but I'm fairly certain I've covered about everything I can.
-------------------------------------------------------
(insert pictures here later tonight)

Last edited:

scarf-ace

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I recently received one of these from VapeKing. First off, let me say this is one nice, nice looking tank. I 100% agree with the OP that this tank feels solid and well-built. The quality of the vape is terrific too... I just demolished half a tankful of Want2Vape Campfire Coffee in the last few hours. Not a dry hit to be had. (Tested on a Provari Mini at 4.1 volts.)

I feel I must point out, however, that this .... is LOUD. Much, much louder than a DCC or a Kanger Clearomizer or a Vivi Nova which is practically silent. Loud enough that I would not vape this in bed for fear of waking up my spouse. This might have something to do with another fact the OP mentioned, that there is a point where it no longer screws onto your battery, so there is a gap of about a millimetre between the bottom of the tank and the top of your device. Maybe this lets out sound that would normally be contained within the tank...? I don't know, but it bears mentioning.

Still, for $5 you may not care ;) That is about half the price of a DCC where I live, and so far this has none of the performance issues I've had with DCCs. I'll report back if/when any problems arise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread