Boil and Refill Technique

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamvector

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Wisconsin
Hi All: I just thought I would share the many things I have learned on this forum from all the great people. The following is a detailed procedure I use to clean and refill my carts based upon input from posters too numerous to mention. I hope it is helpful to all those posting questions regarding this issue. I'm not saying it's the best way, but after trying many things many times, this is what I have found works best for me anyway. Good luck, and feel free to comment or augment as you see fit.

1. In a normal kitchen saucepan, heat about 2 or 3 quarts of water to a full boil.

2. Disassemble carts, place plastic caps and o-rings in a small tupperware container full of hot water and allow to soak until later in the process. For the newer premium carts with the hard to remove brittle plastic caps, dip the mouthpiece end in the hot water on the stove for about 10 seconds to loosen the glue, then remove with your "pick-type" tool (courtesy of Adrenalynn).

3. Place cartos without mouthpieces into the bottom of a 5 qt ice cream pail. Pour the boiling water into the pail covering all the carts with at least 3 inches of water (this way you don't get your good kitchen saucepans dirty with juice = preventing wife from beating you). Let sit for 1/2 to 1 hr., stirring occasionally.

4. During the carto soak time, I run medium hot water in my utility sink, and rinse and clean all the little mouthpiece parts and set aside over some paper towels on a paper plate.

5. By this time, the carto soup is cooled enough to start the rinsing process. I use a 10 ml syringe, and place a small tupperware bowl under the running stream of water to form a pool to draw clean water into the syringe. I remove one cart, draw the syringe full, place flush against the open (mouth) end of the cart, and firmly squeeze the fresh water through the cart out the battery hole into the sink. (Using Maxx's cut condom technique at this part of the process is an improvement to what I was used to doing.) I syringe-flush each condom with fresh water 3 times, shake and set aside. (If you are wondering why flush from the mouth end vs the batt end, it is because you will force more water through the batting this way, vs forcing water through the batt end only forces water through the hole.)

6. When all the carts are flushed clean, I take them out to my garage where my best friend, the air compressor lives. I then hold them up and blow out each carto with the "cleaning wand", which dries them almost immediately. Caution should be used here as you can damage the cart if you direct 120 psi at contact into the cart; I have the wand about 4 - 6 inches away which works very well. I realize not everyone has an air compressor, and I'm sure some will say this is unnecessary, but the added benefit of this is that the batting is significantly loosened and fluffed vs letting them just sit and dry on their own for a few days (if you do let them air dry, you should fluff the batting with a needle or sharp object prior to refilling IF you wish maximize refill volume).

7. I let all the parts dry for at least one day. Now since the mouthpieces are still removed, I use a smaller syringe to refill as follows: Draw 1ml of juice into the syringe, insert syringe into batting down close to the bottom of the cart. Squeeze 1/4 ml into the batting, remove and repeat 3 more times around the cart to cover 4 polar locations maximizing juice distribution.

8. Replace mouthpiece parts and condom caps and store vertically with the batt side down for future use. After using the carts, I refill with the carto cap (CCFM) method with a short Taryn spin 3 or 4 more times before needing to boil them again.

The entire cleaning process took about 1.5 hrs, and refilling with the syringe takes about 1 min per cart. They are literally factory fresh this way, as I believe this is equivalent to the method and quantity of the prefilled versions.

Sorry if this was too long and detailed, but I hope it will answer some of the new folks' many questions as they approach this part of their V4L journey. It's not as hard as it sounds, and you will really begin to save money on this happy habit if you take the time to take care of your carts.

Last edited:

jamvector

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Wisconsin
I got exhausted just reading the post never mind actually doing this.

Sorry, next time skip it. Most posts lead to endless questions as to the details; I just tried to make a single thorough step by step procedure for those who continue to ask questions over and over and over and over. I get exhausted scrolling past all the posts asking how to refill and what to do with carts, so there!

Last edited:

jamvector

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm with Skyler on this one.8-o

Here's my variation on your technique:
  1. Vape a "disposable" cartomizer until dry.
  2. Refill with your flavorite (is that a word?) juice.
  3. Repeat 3-4x
  4. Discard

The post was in response to those requesting information on boiling and reusing carts in a number of threads buried 3 or 4 pages deep a day or so ago; sorry if it offended you. For those who want to economize or don't wish to throw away perfectly good carts, I hope it is of some help.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Could one of the moderators please include this post in the newbie welcome mat sticky? Invaluable information!

And, while we're at it, could we somehow encourage the newcomers to read the welcome mat sticky and THEN post questions? Not BEFORE? It seems that our resident greeters (you know who you are, you're saints) keep answering questions that are already answered in the welcome thread and the User Manual. Any suggestions?

jamvector

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Wisconsin
Could one of the moderators please include this post in the newbie welcome mat sticky? Invaluable information!

And, while we're at it, could we somehow encourage the newcomers to read the welcome mat sticky and THEN post questions? Not BEFORE? It seems that our resident greeters (you know who you are, you're saints) keep answering questions that are already answered in the welcome thread and the User Manual. Any suggestions?

Thanks Katya for the suggestion about a sticky, and others for your response. I don't think it will ever make it into a sticky, V4L still wants to sell the carts over the juice, and I can't blame them. Also, others found it far too detailed and annoying.

I completely agree with the sentiment in your second paragraph, and it is why I went to the trouble to publish the exact procedure I use. Maybe I am getting frustrated sorting through all the same questions day after day, and as you said, there is already a lot of information in several of the stickies if people would just look. I will continue to try and help, but there will always be new waves of people discovering the same techniques and reposting in an endless do loop. This is the nature of the forums, we must take the good with the bad. Thanks again, look forward to hearing your insights as you become a veteran. :)

jamvector

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Wisconsin
Thank you for this post, I was just getting on here to look up a boiling method and pow there it was without even having to search or post. That is amazing.

Also I have a couple of cartos that I don't like and still are mostly full, would it be best to blow them out and then boil?

Thanks needtoknow, I probably would not blow it out first. I suggest the reverse Taryn spin to remove the remaining unwanted juice or maybe rinse under tap water before boiling if you want. If you are going to use compressed air to blow them out, you will notice quite a bit of sprayback, which is another good reason to do this in the garage, and you probably don't want to be spraying juice all over the place either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread