The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Boost technology in a regulated mod; who can explain how it works?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Baditude, Mar 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    As the title says, who can explain how boost technology in a regulated mod works? I have a hunch that it involves PWM (pulse width modulation), but I can't explain how that works either.

Explain it to the dumb noob.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 2
  2. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    • Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. ScottP

ScottP Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I saw the title, and was thinking this might be my longest answer to a question yet. I didn't even think about posting a link. Thank goodness for Wikipedia.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Asbestos4004

Asbestos4004 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Arthur C. Clark's Third Law:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  6. AzPlumber

AzPlumber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2011
    Arizona
    Magic

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Jwaterski

Jwaterski Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 27, 2013
    OKC, OK
    I'm still lost on the Baditude and dumb noob!! Is the next thread going to be about honest politicians?

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  8. CMD-Ky

CMD-Ky Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    "Honest politicians" will be a very short thread.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. bombastinator

bombastinator Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Depends on how tightly one defines honest, but both parties have more than one would expect. Which party you think has more generally defines which you belong to.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. listopencil

listopencil Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 28, 2017
    In Partibus Infidelium
    When you depress the fire button a small stick inside the mod pokes the angry pixies. If you turn up your V/W higher then it pokes them harder. They get mad and flap more quickly. If you toggle the switch higher/lower a lot then the angry pixies buck and boost around inside the mod, hence the terms. Just be careful not to do it too much or you'll let the smoke out.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Letitia

Letitia Therion/Nano Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    @Baditude when you figure it out please come back and dumb it down for me.:)

• Agree x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  12. mcclintock

mcclintock Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 28, 2014
    The simplest way to understand it is a transformer, depending on how many wraps of wire are on each side it can convert low to high voltage or vice versa, with a corresponding change of current so it doesn't violate conservation of energy principles. Of course a transformer only works on AC signals and also there are simpler circuits, but they all essentially convert it to AC in some way and obey conservation of energy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. CMD-Ky

CMD-Ky Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    How tightly one defines honest? Interesting concept, when honesty becomes a fluid concept, we are finished.

Neither party has enough honest people to be worth the powder to blow them up.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  14. untar

untar Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    A fast switch generates little pulses that get pumped ahead through a diode (check valve) by the special property of inductors (e.g. a coil made of copper), the resulting pulses on the other end get stored in a capacitor (little battery) and are "flattened out" to a continuous signal by another capacitor (or set of caps). To really get into it can be complicated since it involves good understanding of the interaction between electricity and magnetism, that's essentially the mechanism that makes this work.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I think Basically what is going on is you have a Switch that can Open/Close Very Fast.

And as the Switch Opens/Closes, the input Volatge alternates from making a Magnetic Field in an Inductor to being in Series with part of the Inductor. It when the Voltage is in Series that the Increase of Voltage occurs.

But Nothing is Free conservation of energy-wise. So to get more Volts, you need to give up something. And that something is Amps. So you are Basically Trading Amps to get Volts.

I just kinda have a 5 Mile View of what is going on. So maybe someone with More Knowledge can explain it better.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Thank you, almost get it.:lol:

• Like Like x 4
  17. untar

untar Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    I substituted "amplified" with a little better formulation that's more correct in a technical sense, that should make it easier [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  18. bombastinator

bombastinator Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    The system is currently set up in such a way that “truely honest” people are simply completely unelectable. If pushed far enough there aren’t even very many honest people in the world, period. One generally has to settle for less honest or more honest.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Coastal Cowboy

Coastal Cowboy This aggression will not stand, man! Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 13, 2013
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    You have a little thingie that pushes. If it can't push hard enough, there's another thingie that stores some of the push. Then the first little thingie pushes again and the second little thingie stores some more again. After a certain number of pushing and storing, there's enough push to move something as far along and as fast as it needs to be moved.

If the stored up pushing is so much that the third thingie moves too far too fast, the second thingie doesn't ask for as big of a push the next time.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  20. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    You sir are my hero.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1