Boost technology in a regulated mod; who can explain how it works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Wikipedia has a pretty good entry for it:
Boost converter - Wikipedia

Now most boards that can boost can also buck (the old DNA20 and DNA30 we an exception, they could only boost). So really it's probably a more complicated topology:
Buck–boost converter - Wikipedia

I saw the title, and was thinking this might be my longest answer to a question yet. I didn't even think about posting a link. Thank goodness for Wikipedia.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
18abb6f254f4f31df99b47ee300d450d4d514572cee00a9aa1755ad2f8ec3f86.jpg

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
When you depress the fire button a small stick inside the mod pokes the angry pixies. If you turn up your V/W higher then it pokes them harder. They get mad and flap more quickly. If you toggle the switch higher/lower a lot then the angry pixies buck and boost around inside the mod, hence the terms. Just be careful not to do it too much or you'll let the smoke out.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    The simplest way to understand it is a transformer, depending on how many wraps of wire are on each side it can convert low to high voltage or vice versa, with a corresponding change of current so it doesn't violate conservation of energy principles. Of course a transformer only works on AC signals and also there are simpler circuits, but they all essentially convert it to AC in some way and obey conservation of energy.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    Depends on how tightly one defines honest, but both parties have more than one would expect. Which party you think has more generally defines which you belong to.

How tightly one defines honest? Interesting concept, when honesty becomes a fluid concept, we are finished.

Neither party has enough honest people to be worth the powder to blow them up.

untar

Vaping Master
    Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    dumb it down for me
    A fast switch generates little pulses that get pumped ahead through a diode (check valve) by the special property of inductors (e.g. a coil made of copper), the resulting pulses on the other end get stored in a capacitor (little battery) and are "flattened out" to a continuous signal by another capacitor (or set of caps). To really get into it can be complicated since it involves good understanding of the interaction between electricity and magnetism, that's essentially the mechanism that makes this work.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    As the title says, who can explain how boost technology in a regulated mod works? I have a hunch that it involves PWM (pulse width modulation), but I can't explain how that works either.

Explain it to the dumb noob.

I think Basically what is going on is you have a Switch that can Open/Close Very Fast.

And as the Switch Opens/Closes, the input Volatge alternates from making a Magnetic Field in an Inductor to being in Series with part of the Inductor. It when the Voltage is in Series that the Increase of Voltage occurs.

But Nothing is Free conservation of energy-wise. So to get more Volts, you need to give up something. And that something is Amps. So you are Basically Trading Amps to get Volts.

I just kinda have a 5 Mile View of what is going on. So maybe someone with More Knowledge can explain it better.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    A fast switch generates little pulses that get amplified by the special property of inductors (e.g. a coil made of copper), the resulting pulses on the other end get stored in a capacitor (little battery) and are "flattened out" to a continuous signal by another capacitor (or set of caps). To really get into it can be complicated since it involves good understanding of the interaction between electricity and magnetism, that's essentially the mechanism that makes this work.
    Thank you, almost get it.:lol:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    How tightly one defines honest? Interesting concept, when honesty becomes a fluid concept, we are finished.

Neither party has enough honest people to be worth the powder to blow them up.
    The system is currently set up in such a way that “truely honest” people are simply completely unelectable. If pushed far enough there aren’t even very many honest people in the world, period. One generally has to settle for less honest or more honest.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 13, 2013
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
    You have a little thingie that pushes. If it can't push hard enough, there's another thingie that stores some of the push. Then the first little thingie pushes again and the second little thingie stores some more again. After a certain number of pushing and storing, there's enough push to move something as far along and as fast as it needs to be moved.

If the stored up pushing is so much that the third thingie moves too far too fast, the second thingie doesn't ask for as big of a push the next time.

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    You have a little thingie that pushes. If it can't push hard enough, there's another thingie that stores some of the push. Then the first little thingie pushes again and the second little thingie stores some more again. After a certain number of pushing and storing, there's enough push to move something as far along and as fast as it needs to be moved.

If the stored up pushing is so much that the third thingie moves too far too fast, the second thingie doesn't ask for as big of a push the next time.
    You sir are my hero.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread