Boost technology in a regulated mod; who can explain how it works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
As the title says, who can explain how boost technology in a regulated mod works? I have a hunch that it involves PWM (pulse width modulation), but I can't explain how that works either.

Explain it to the dumb noob.

Pulse width modulation is comparable to turning a light on and off. If you switch it on and off faster the room gets brighter. If you slow down, the room gets dimmer.

That's done in pulse modulation by converting straight DC voltage to a pulsed DC voltage. The on/off cycles produce a square wave (think on as the peak and off as the valley).

SquareWave.gif

The farther apart the peaks are, the lower the average voltage applied to the coil (it's on less time with each pulse). To up the wattage you just increase the duration of pulses so that the on-time of the coil increases.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Pulse width modulation is comparable to turning a light on and off. If you switch it on and off faster the room gets brighter. If you slow down, the room gets dimmer.
Uhm, no. The switching speed (frequency) is generally fixed. What changes is the duty cycle (how long the it's ON vs. how long it's OFF).

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
The simplest way to understand it is a transformer, depending on how many wraps of wire are on each side it can convert low to high voltage or vice versa, with a corresponding change of current so it doesn't violate conservation of energy principles. Of course a transformer only works on AC signals and also there are simpler circuits, but they all essentially convert it to AC in some way and obey conservation of energy.

^This is probably the simplest way to think of it, if you don't work in electricity or electronics.

I've always explained it like neon lights or cell phone chargers. They use a lower voltage in, the transformer increases the voltage but at lower amps (compared to voltage increase). So 110V AC becomes 1000V DC (made up number of course, transformers are different sizes) or like a charger 110V AC to 12V DC.

Reactions: stols001

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Uhm, no. The switching speed (frequency) is generally fixed. What changes is the duty cycle (how long the it's ON vs. how long it's OFF).

A square wave pulse oscillator controls the frequency. Change the time base and the pulse rate (duty cycle) can be varied.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana

I think I kind of understand the cycle thing. By reducing the amount of time the power is getting through you could reduce the average level of power coming out at the end of the chain. Power being a non-technical word for what's happening since I don't know whether I'm talking about amps or volts or watts, or something I don't even know the name of. But the original question was about increasing the power.

Like intermittently pinching off a garden hose would reduce the average amount of water coming out the end. Maybe it's more like reducing the size of the nozzle would reduce the total amount of water coming out but increase its speed.

Someone back there was talking about sacrificing amps to get more volts or something along those lines. That may be where the answer is. I never thought about how it worked. And I guess we don't need to know the answer in order to use it, but interesting anyway.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I think I kind of understand the cycle thing. By reducing the amount of time the power is getting through you could reduce the average level of power coming out at the end of the chain. Power being a non-technical word for what's happening since I don't know whether I'm talking about amps or volts or watts, or something I don't even know the name of. But the original question was about increasing the power.

Like intermittently pinching off a garden hose would reduce the average amount of water coming out the end. Maybe it's more like reducing the size of the nozzle would reduce the total amount of water coming out but increase its speed.

Someone back there was talking about sacrificing amps to get more volts or something along those lines. That may be where the answer is. I never thought about how it worked. And I guess we don't need to know the answer in order to use it, but interesting anyway.

Agreed, I can start a car, I can even drive a car, I can get a car worked upon, I cannot build or repair a car. But I can get by in this computerized age.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
PWM is not boosting. You can't get a higher voltage than the maximum voltage of your battery/pack with PWM.
A boost converter works differently.

But I though the way Earlier VV/VW Boards made wattage above what the Battery Voltage could create was for the Board to first Increase the Input Voltage from the battery to a Fixed amount, say 6.0 Voltage. Then to take this 6.0 Volts and to make "Average" Wattage via PWM.

Or is that not how Earlier VV/VW Boards worked?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
But I though the way Earlier VV/VW Boards made wattage above what the Battery Voltage could create was for the Board to first Increase the Input Voltage from the battery to a Fixed amount, say 6.0 Voltage. Then to take this 6.0 Volts and to make "Average" Wattage via PWM.

Or is that not how Earlier VV/VW Boards worked?
Those boards may have used a boost converter that produced a fixed voltage like 6V, and then used a simple PWM after that to give the user the ability to control the effective voltage after that.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Not Disagreeing.
But wouldn't "Smoothness" depend on How Close the Output Voltage is to the Battery Input Voltage?
No. A good boost or buck converter is capable of producing whatever DC voltage you want with very minimal AC components.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
No. A good boost or buck converter is capable of producing whatever DC voltage you want with very minimal AC components.

Yeah... The more I think about it, if a Board is Increasing the Battery Input Voltage to a Higher Fixed amount, say 6.0 Volts, and then using PWM to give the User what they want average Voltage/Wattage wise, the time the DC would be "Smooth" would Only occur at 6.0 Output Volts.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA

Some people could post nap inducing three page explanations that include gobbledygook like the tendency of an inductor to resist changes in current by creating and destroying a magnetic field.... But in truth, you're right, it -is- just magic. ;)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Some people could post nap inducing three page explanations that include gobbledygook like the tendency of an inductor to resist changes in current by creating and destroying a magnetic field.... But in truth, you're right, it -is- just magic. ;)

Wikipedia and other web sites do a good job at explaining how it works. Those who are interested can find what they need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread