Status
Not open for further replies.

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
Just curious -- I'm working on a booster mod using PTN04050C. So far the bread board version is working with a voltmeter pretty well. Haven't tried it with an atty since I don't have any IMR batteries yet.

So the question is -- since I don't intend to go above 5 volt, do I actually need an IMR battery, or will the regular Li-Ion work for me? What are the dangers of using protected Li-Ion here? Blowing up, destroying the protection circuit, or just not being able to push out enough current?

Thank you!
Commie

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Just curious -- I'm working on a booster mod using PTN04050C. So far the bread board version is working with a voltmeter pretty well. Haven't tried it with an atty since I don't have any IMR batteries yet.

So the question is -- since I don't intend to go above 5 volt, do I actually need an IMR battery, or will the regular Li-Ion work for me? What are the dangers of using protected Li-Ion here? Blowing up, destroying the protection circuit, or just not being able to push out enough current?

Thank you!
Commie

Pretty much just this. You haven't mentioned what size battery you intend to use, and the smaller size cells haven't enough current to be satisfying. Cycling the 4050 (making it whine) probably shortens it's lifespan as well. Using a high drain cell is much better for this setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread