Bottom-coil clearo's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

North_Co

Sep 28, 2013
NYC, NY, USA
Hey guys, been lurking a bit lately and finally joined. Was hoping someone would help clear up my choices regarding a new tank.

For reference, I've been using the V2 (kr8) starter kit, then bought their EX blanks (which are pretty damn bad), and am now running a Smoktech slim Vivi nova on the V2 batt, which looks a bit ridiculous. I'm looking to upgrade to a vamo V3 from Ftech, and am a bit stumped on what kind of tank to get for it. I know I want a bottom-coil system, but aside from that, I'm drawing a blank. Kanger ProTanks seem pretty nice, but I've read that their draw is airy, which isn't exactly to my liking-I'm coming from smoking Nat Sherman cigs, so I would appreciate a much thicker vapor/stronger draw.

I'm very new at this (got the e-cigs 3 months ago, been seriously using them for a month, finally stopped smoking tobacco about 2 weeks ago), but I've done a bit of reading and feel like getting into the VV/VW mod level, and at FT prices, the only thing that's stopping me is the tank question...

PS. Considering the current postage situation regarding batteries, would I be better off ordering just the vamo from FT and getting the batteries in-country, or is getting the kit still possible?

Screamin Eagle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Maryland
Well I can't give you too much help here as I'm only about one step ahead of you. I've ordered my Vamo V3 a couple of days ago from Fasttech along with a good battery charger. I too have heard that batteries and juices are being held up in China so I just went with another battery supplier....Genuine AW Batteries at RTD Vapor .

After much research, and asking question of the great people here on these boards, I came to the conclusion that the AW IMR 18650s were the way to go for my Vamo.

As for the bottom coil clearo's (BCCs)? I went and ordered a ProTank 2 from.... DiscountVapers - Your source for savings on electronic cigarettes and accessories, Go-go eGo, vGo . I've never delt with one of these as of yet so I really can't give you any heads up on it.
Another option is the AnyVape Davide. I own one of the mini versions of that one. It is an airy draw, but on the mini the draw holes are on the base and you can cover them with your finger to make it draw a little tighter. I eventually got use to the way it draws. But every now and then I cover one of the holes to get it to draw a little tighter.
But those are just two that I know of off hand. They are glass (pyrex) so they will handle any juice you have. But I'm sure there are more out there.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hi North_Co and welcome to ECF! I see you've done your research and that makes our lives much easier--thanks!

Variable voltage is a beautiful thing, so is variable wattage. If you're looking for a rugged and reasonably priced mod, a Vamo can't be beat. But get a stainless steel version--they are much sturdier and better looking.

Vamo has a 510 connection, so a ProTank 2 would be my recommendation also. I have one and I like it a lot--it works better than the version 1 which had an airy draw. I block one of the air holes in the base of my PT 1 and still use it, but v2 is the way to go. Just make sure you order the genuine Kanger ProTank 2--fasttech sells a couple of no-brand lookalikes; you don't want them.

The only good batteries Fasttech sells ATM are the Panasonic hybrids, but you are correct that Chinese customs are delaying (or sending back) packages containing batteries and eliquids--don't ask me why. It's up to you if you want to take that risk. I use AW IMR batteries in my mods and I get them from RTD Vapor, but many other places sell them, including the Amazon.

Good luck and happy vaping!

Don't forget to order extra coils for your ProTank 2!!!!

Last edited:

North_Co

Sep 28, 2013
NYC, NY, USA
Thanks for the quick replies, guys! So far, it seems I'm just getting the vamo and an i2 charger from FT, then picking up batteries and a PT2 stateside. (Because a pair of LI-ions is sure to blow up whatever ER update of a 50 year old jet they fly on. Hope the terrists never find that one out! :facepalm: )

By the by, anyone know of any chain stores that carry the batteries? 10 years ago, I'd be sure at least radio shack would have them, but now that seems unlikely.

And one last question: in your opinion, is it worth getting a 510-808 adapter to keep using my slim vivi? I'm liking the tank a whole lot, and it would be nice to have a workable backup.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Thanks for the quick replies, guys! So far, it seems I'm just getting the vamo and an i2 charger from FT, then picking up batteries and a PT2 stateside. (Because a pair of LI-ions is sure to blow up whatever ER update of a 50 year old jet they fly on. Hope the terrists never find that one out! :facepalm: )

Why aren't you getting the PT2 from Fasttech??? They are cheaper there. Just look for the genuine Kanger PT2.

I own and like Nitecore I2! Make sure you order one with the American plug--not the Euro!!!!!!!

By the by, anyone know of any chain stores that carry the batteries? 10 years ago, I'd be sure at least radio shack would have them, but now that seems unlikely.

I haven't see any...

And one last question: in your opinion, is it worth getting a 510-808 adapter to keep using my slim vivi? I'm liking the tank a whole lot, and it would be nice to have a workable backup.

What do you want to do with the adapter? Do you want to use your kr808 toppers on your Vamo? If so, yes, you need an 510>kr8080D-1 adapter.

Last edited:

Screamin Eagle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Maryland

I'm not too sure about big chain stores, but I'm sure your local vape shop will sell the batteries. You'll pay for their overhead in the price but you'll have them the same day. And other then having someone who is knowledgeable and might be able to give you some up front insite as to the best batteries you can use (which you can find on here) The waiting period for a set of batteries from RTD is about 3 days. As long as they are in stock.
But to be real, I would advise you to not only get a 5 pack of spare ProTank coils along with your PT2 order, but get an extra battery when you get one for your Vamo. This way you can rotate them, and won't have to wait for one to charge. To be honest, you should let a freshly charged battery set and cool down before you use it anyway.

I use the protank 2 and its awesome. There is a large difference in draw between the 1 and 2. I use mine on a Smoktech SID. LOTS of vapour... in fact, a little more then I personally need. I don't think you would be disappointed.

As for the adapter, that's up to you. If you like that tank, go for it. I am of the opinion, you can never have too many gadgets and gizmos. But, I'm a geek. :)

Good luck!

Last edited:

Screamin Eagle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Maryland
Why aren't you getting the PT2 from Fasttech??? They are cheaper there. Just look for the genuine Kanger PT2.

The last time I checked (a couple of days ago when I ordered my Vamo) the genuine Kanger PT2s were out of stock. So I just payed a few bucks more and went to Discount Vapes. Not sure if they still are or not.........Yep, they are listed as sold out at Fasttech.

North_Co

Sep 28, 2013
NYC, NY, USA

I own and like Nitecore I2! Make sure you order one with the American plug--not the Euro!!!!!!!

What do you want to do with the adapter? Do you want to use your kr808 toppers on your Vamo? If so, yes, you need an 510>kr8080D-1 adapter.

The PT2 on FT is out of stock, and I don't feel like waiting another month before they get it back in :p Considering they're off on holiday for the next week or so, though, I won't be ordering until the next weekend anyways.

Plug-wise, I noticed they have both, but I have enough russian gear laying around that even if I screw up, there's an adapter here somewhere :p

And for the adapter, yeah-I want to keep using my vivi nova. Just wanted to find out if there's any issues as far as extra impedance/power drain goes.

@Screamin Eagle: definitely planning on getting at least a pair of batt's. I vape a ton, so getting a single battery would just lead to me running out and bumming a regular smoke from someone. :p

ETA: oh, and the reason I asked about hobby shops is, I'm in NYC. There's one local shop and their overhead is bound to be intense (you can imagine just the cost of a storefront in downtown manhattan :blink: ). I know some photo stores stock 'em, so I'll have to go on the hunt.

Also, any other bottom-coils I should look into/try, or is the PT2 basically the best out there?

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
The PT2 on FT is out of stock, and I don't feel like waiting another month before they get it back in :p Considering they're off on holiday for the next week or so, though, I won't be ordering until the next weekend anyways.

Oh, what a shame. On the other hand, they may restock by the time you place your order!

Plug-wise, I noticed they have both, but I have enough russian gear laying around that even if I screw up, there's an adapter here somewhere :p

:shock:

And for the adapter, yeah-I want to keep using my vivi nova. Just wanted to find out if there's any issues as far as extra impedance/power drain goes.

No idea as I've never seen a kr808 threaded ViVi... The ones I tried were all 510. But I don't see why they wouldn't work.

@Screamin Eagle: definitely planning on getting at least a pair of batt's. I vape a ton, so getting a single battery would just lead to me running out and bumming a regular smoke from someone. :p

Backups to backups, you know.

BTW, if you like your V2 batteries, I suggest you try a kr808 Kanger T4 clearo--I have one and I like it better than my ViViis. But then again, I don't like top coils so I'm biased! :blush:

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Also, any other bottom-coils I should look into/try, or is the PT2 basically the best out there?

PT 2 is the only Kanger BCC with a 510 connection (same as your Vamo)--all the other ones (eVod, T3, ProTank mini) are eGo-threaded. They are good, but you'll need a 510/eGo adapter (also available at Fasttech).

North_Co

Sep 28, 2013
NYC, NY, USA
PT 2 is the only Kanger BCC with a 510 connection (same as your Vamo)--all the other ones (eVod, T3, ProTank mini) are eGo-threaded. They are good, but you'll need a 510/eGo adapter (also available at Fasttech).

And this is the bit I somehow missed! :facepalm: PT2 it is, then! This is why it's good to ask questions-I went from wanting an iTaste VW to the Vamo and mixed up which has what kind of threads. Opening that order would've been a great genius moment!

My problem with the V2's, outside of the 808 thread, is that they die so damn quickly. Hadn't tried the kangers, but the vivi with a 2.4 ohm coil kills my batt in about an hour, if that. The vapor production goes from clouds to wisps in about 15 hits.... and this is on the big long batt!

mackman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
NorCal
The Protank 2 has a tighter draw than the original Protank and I love my Evod. Just have to be a little careful about the juice you use in it.
Hate my Protank 1 draw, and love the Evod for out and about clean vape great taste excellent vapor production from all kinds of juices.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
And this is the bit I somehow missed! :facepalm: PT2 it is, then! This is why it's good to ask questions-I went from wanting an iTaste VW to the Vamo and mixed up which has what kind of threads. Opening that order would've been a great genius moment!

My problem with the V2's, outside of the 808 thread, is that they die so damn quickly. Hadn't tried the kangers, but the vivi with a 2.4 ohm coil kills my batt in about an hour, if that. The vapor production goes from clouds to wisps in about 15 hits.... and this is on the big long batt!

Yeah, been there done that. I like the small form of those cigalikes, I also started with kr808 batts and cartomizers, but battery life is a PITA. I had 12 of them at one time in constant rotation, as I recall, until I finally broke down and got my first eGo. :D

Screamin Eagle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Maryland

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Vamo V3 have both eGo and 510 threads? I hope they do because that was one of the reasons I bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread