Status
Not open for further replies.

Blix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
Stabekk, Norway
I would just order a 10 pack of vision nanos from AltSmoke for $20.
That way you can see if you like bottom coil.
They're small & the easiest to fill. Perfect size for sampling new juices.
Vivi Novas are my favorite big ones though. I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice on this!

Bottomfeeders not bottom coil... ;)

You can use regular cartos on a Reo for sure, plenty Reo users doing just that. But personally I prefer RBA's.
A nice bottomfeer is incredibly handy and convenient.

hmlessalky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
Imperial, MO
I can not recommend a Reo enough. Bullet proof and a great form factor. I started using RBA's on them the most, but my second fave setup is a Smok mini Resurrector (1.7ohm) on it. With the short carto, it makes for a more compact and simple to use setup. Plus, you have to try really hard to run out of juice on any given day!

That being said, there is nothing wrong with the setup you use now. If you are getting satisfaction out of it, there is really no need to switch. If you are really into playing with your voltages/wattages, the move to a mechanical will take some getting used to. Anything SR and higher will not perform as well on a mechanical. So you may need to switch out a few of your cartos and such (to LR devices) to achieve happiness.

Good luck and stuff!

Salky

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
Bottom feeders give you advantages similar to dripping, without the hassle of actually dripping. The bottle is effectively attached to your atomizer/cartomizer from the bottom, through the 510 connection. When you would otherwise drip, you just give the bottle a small squeeze (jargon term is squonking), and that feeds the liquid into your atomizer. One of the nice things I've noticed is that cartomizers seem to taste better this way, since juice gets fed directly onto the coil.

There is, however, a bit of a learning curve involved in not overfilling your cartos/atomizers, and not letting them run dry.

The three most popular bottom feeders are VMod, Reo, and Bogger Box. Reos are my favorite, but here's some quick pros/cons

1. VMod is cheapest, both in price, and in quality. It does not natively work with rebuildable atomizers, though it's possible to get it to work

2. Reo is nigh indestructible, very well made, and more expensive than VMod. Works with a lot of rebuildable atomizers. Very good mod, great support community. The indestructible case in point -- some guy has dropped his a number of times while riding a motorcycle on a highway. Now it's fairly banged up, but still working without repairs.

3. Bogger Boxes are wood. Similar quality and price to Reos. Arguably prettier, but require gentler handling, as they're wood instead of aluminum. They also work with rebuildables, I believe

Reo Grand and Reo Mini
IMAG0262.jpg

VMod XL
IMAG0236.jpg

Reo Grand and VMod XL
IMAG0173.jpg

bryce704

Verified Member
Mar 20, 2013
Lambertville
I was happy with my Zmax and carto tank setup before I got into bottom feeders. It is still a satisfying vape to me. I'm just too lazy to prime cartos. Plus from my experience they seemed too hit and miss. The whole no fuss compact design with large juice bottle and battery is what made me want to make the jump to bottom feeders and I love them for that reason. Think I am a box mod guy

Marvin & Sennie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thank you so much everyone for all the information provided. It's a HUGE help!! I knew nothing about box mods because they look very complicated so I'd never really considered using them all though both hubs and I think they look cool... lol

This is my story... I quit smoking 6 months ago. I started with a mini battery the size of a cig but within a week I was over that mess. I used an ego C but I wasn't satisfied with my vape. I bought a Zmax on a black friday sale and started using it with a Vivi Nova but because I vape a dark juice it kept getting clogged. I switched to a carto with a tank. I've had good luck with it until lately, I loved the vape and rarely got a bad cart. I went to MS but before I left I got the email from Ikenvape that the carto's ( SR 510 Mega Platinum Punch) I'd been waiting on came in. So I ordered the max of 25. But had to wait until I got back from MS 2 weeks later to try them. While I was in MS I started having issues with the Zmax such as pushing the power button and instead of firing it just changed the voltage. I wouldn't notice and would fry the carto, or even if nothing like that happened at times it would have a burst of volts and burn the carto as if there was a dry spot and of course after that the carto was no good. Or I would take a hit, let go of the button and it would still keep burning the juice as if I was still pushing the button only the display wasn't lit up. Fast forward. I get home and try to use the Ikenvape carto's and they are only lasting a few hours.. 5-6 max. So I place an order for the 510 fusion ones instead. Haven't gotten those yet but my smok carto's are only lasting a few hours as well. I didn't change my vape style in any way so I don't understand what happened! I know my husband is getting mad, he still uses the Ego-c with either a Kanger T3 or a stardust ( I think) and he is completely happy with it. He wants me to change juice so I can just use an ego-c like he does but I have yet to find a juice I like that isn't a dark juice. I vape sweet coffee flavors usually 50/50 from Baker Vapor.
So because of all the above Bad suggested I might try a bottom feeder.

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
I have a Vmod XL and they are very sturdy. The chassis isn't metal...but the "shell" or box is metal...and protects things very well. I've dropped my Vmod a few times onto the hardwood floor and have had no issues.

I don't have a REO, but honestly, if you are just getting your feet wet with bottom feeders, why not get a Vmod? If you get a kit..you'll also get everything you need...battery, charger, shifu atomizer, Silo cartomizer (just fancy names for a hybrid atomizer and a cartomizer) and drip tips and bottles. It's a good deal. You have a choice of the XL which carries a 9ml. bottle of juice and uses a 18650 battery, or the smaller V.2 which holds around 4ml. and uses a 14500 battery, I think.

I love my Vmod!! Once you get the "learning curve" down (might take a day or two to really get in the swing of it) it's so EASY and so simple and ...just great. Since I've gotten my Vmod I've packed all my other APVs away...along with my carto tanks, and other stuff that goes with the traditional type APV. The Vmod is really ALL I use...and I've never been so happy and content since I started vaping!

EDIT: Oh yeah...and you can use any 510 threaded cartomizer, pretty much. I like the Smok super shorties...but Kanger is good, and you can even use Boge (although they are a bit hard packed and might be a bit stiffer draw). As for atomziers...you can use any of them that are 510. RBAs might be a bit trickier, but not ALL of us are into RBAs. So that doesn't bother me a bit.

Last edited:

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
Is it more expensive or cheaper, or about the same as my old way would be?

It might be cheaper, really. It is for me. All you need...once you have your kit is some spare batteries (possibly a little better charger...but I assume you have that with your current APV) some juice and some cartomizers...or atomizers. Depends on what you like (that's why they give you one of each so you can get an idea. I use cartos. Many use atomizers). I am spending a LOT less per month now because I DIY my liquid anyway, so my supplies are cheap. All I have to get really is more cartomizers every month. No tanks, so special tools. Basic. I did buy a couple of "shells" (outer casings) so I could change up the look...but that was "want" not "need".

Remember, too...the Vmod is mechanical. So you'll want cartomizers that will produce the watts you like. I like 2ohm sc best. Many really like the 1.5 or 1.7s...but those seem a bit to "hot" for my taste.

Last edited:

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
I have been using a smok 3.0ohm carto's in a tank with dark sweet Cafe Coffee from Mt Baker Vapor on my Zmax with 1800 and 2000 mAh batteries. What about this with what I have instead of the Zmax? Vapage V-MOD XL

You can use the 3ohm with the Vmod XL (link you posted) but again...the Vmod is a mechanical. You don't adjust the voltage with it. You put in a typical 3.7 rechargeable IMR or Li-ion battery and you'll start out vaping at 4.2 volts and gradually drop down. When it gets around 3.5 or 3.4 it's a good idea to change the battery at that point to avoid over-discharging. The 3ohm you are talking about will be rather high ohm for a mechanical like that. The vape will tend to be very cool and probably a little weak-ish. You COULD..just saying that it might be a little tepid for you. 2.5 is okay. I think that is about as high ohm as Vapage recommends. Like I said...the 2 or 2.2 ohm is IMHO optimum.

You will NOT use a carto tank with the Vmod. It'd be pointless since the juice is in the bottle below the carto/atomizer and fed by "squonking" or squeezing the bottle lightly. For your dark thick juice I'm thinking you'd like the atomizers Vapage sells (and you get one with the kit, too)...they are "slant coil" and very very good. They are sometimes referred to as "Shifu". Lots more information about the Vmods are in various threads in this APV Liquid Feed section and also here http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...0-bottom-feeding-mod-vapage-com-part-2-a.html

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
If you are open to rebuildables, or want to consider them in the future, they might do better with dark juices. The way I use mine is I make one coil that I like, and use it for a few weeks or more. If I use dark juices, the wick clogs up within a day, so in the evening, I pop a new wick into the existing coil, and get clean fresh vape. Since I make wicks out of cotton balls, it's very quick, cheap, and does not require tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread