Bottom feeder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryce704

Verified Member
Mar 20, 2013
Lambertville
I have used some dark and thick juices on an atomizer with my vmod xl and it lasted weeks. 100% vg serendipity. I use the vapage atomizers, trying some others that work good too. The mini cartos seems to last a bit longer than the normal ones too. I would say try to get a Reo grand on the classifieds if you already have 18650s and a charger. Or get a vmod a la carte during a sale for a cheap entry level bottom feeder. I love both my vmod and reo but I plan on getting into the rebuildable game

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
how does 1 know the way it should be as far as size, how many loops etc?

The first few, you may want to measure the resistance. After that, I just count loops. 11 loops of 30ga kanthal on a thick paper clip or 7 loops on a wooden toothpick gives me my target 1.8 ohm.

Marvin & Sennie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
lol that's pretty wild that you know that!!
The first few, you may want to measure the resistance. After that, I just count loops. 11 loops of 30ga kanthal on a thick paper clip or 7 loops on a wooden toothpick gives me my target 1.8 ohm.

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
lol that's pretty wild that you know that!!

I tinker entirely too much. It's the forums' fault -- they keep giving me new ideas to try, so I rebuild my coils every other day, when they are perfectly good :) I would say that for most sane people it's completely unnecessary. A decent coil will last you weeks if not more.

Oh oh oh! Almost forgot, changing flavors is easier than with premade atomizers. You throw away the wick, glow the coil for a second to clean it, and put in new wick. No need for cleaning, vodka baths and other silliness.

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
How long does each part last? Like the atomizers on an ego C have to be replaced quite often.

The only thing to wear out would be the cartomizer or atomizer. The vapage shifu can last...from all reports...an ungodly length of time. Many weeks. Even months, depending on usage and type juice vaped. At the very least, they were designed to last at least 3 weeks if not ever cleaned. The cartomizers will last about the same as with a carto tank, I guess. Mine do very well. Days of heavy use...running a minimum of 9ml a day through them.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
How long does each part last? Like the atomizers on an ego C have to be replaced quite often.

Thought I would chime in here with something, so here it goes... I started out my journey the same as you did, (everything but VV),... V2, Ego, Ego-T, Ego-C, then jumped to the Vmod Xl... Experimentation and research is the key to success I have found so far. I have been using the Vmod XL exclusively now for about a year. I vape a menthol blend that is 50/50 to 70/30 at times. I have never been into carto's at all. They just mute down the taste of any thing I vaped in them. I am and always will be an atty guy... The taste, TH, and clouds of vaper are unbelievable!!! I have found that I get the most consistent vape with Avid Vaper Cisco spec LR 306 1.5Ω atty's. The XL drip tip is needed to use them with the Vmod XL to clear the cone. I buy 2 atty's every 6 months or so...ymmv... I find that they last on average of 3 months, some longer. I don't clean them at all. Just use them till I feel they aren't performing and replace them. I do use the Kick in my XL, only for consistency throughout the length of battery charge, though not really necessary at all. The 18650 battery lasts a complete day for me and the 18490 w/Kick lasts on average of about 10hrs of vape time. I am not a super chain vaper at all. I vape on average of 3-4ml per day. I would say average for most....

As to the monthly expenses, I spend around $20-25 per month on vaping since I bought my Vmod XL.

60ml of juice every 45 days @ $21.97
2 Atty's every 6 months @ $22.19
8oz. straight VG every 6 months @ $12.45

I would say you would be making a wise choice by getting into a bottom feeder. I am so glad I never wasted any money on VV/VW devices that have come out in the last year... Too many horror stories... I am all about simple, basic, and consistent. That is what I have found with the Vmod XL!!!

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I am seriously looking into them but can't look too close without the funds to purchase.
I've begun looking into a bottom feeder for sometime in my future myself.

Just a few days ago I dug out an old dripping atomizer that I hadn't used since I got my first mechanical mod not quite a year ago. It was a much more pleasant vape than I remembered back then.

Despite never owning one, and not even being a dripper, I have suggested a bottom feeder to folks who were becoming frustrated with wicked juice delivery devices and using thick and/or dark e-liquids. The concept of combining a tank and a dripping atomizer just makes sense in those applications. Those folk who ended up getting one have reported back to me with extremely positive results.

Hearing how much Fourthrok loves her VMod, and Redhatpat and Bob57 love their Reo's has gotten me curious.

Thus far I've been focusing on both the VMod and Reo, as they seem to be the most common and popular bottom feeders. I'll be keeping an eye out on these type of threads to help me make a choice once I make up my mind to get one.

Last edited:

solace.discord

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
Southern Maine
thank you for this thread! I love my MVP and Nanos and T3s and newly found carto tanks, but I'm getting tired of fiddling and leaking and messes and blowing out and all the paper towels! I loooove dripping, prefer atomizers. it's just not convenient, and those unexpected dry hits suck.

been watching lots of vids and reading through threads on the Reo mini and smaller VMod. for me, I think the Reo is a better choice, especially when I look at final costs. I can get a wicked cool mini that can natively handle RBAs (for when I get into all that) and feeds without tipping, support a small business in my state, and not have the urge to get casings to change it up a bit, and not worry about breaking the darn thing.

sure, I'll have to save up a bit longer, but for me, I'm leaning toward the Reo.

Last edited:

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
Reos are awesome, but there's a huge fundamental problem with them. When you buy your first one, you tell yourself "this is great, the last mod I'll have to buy". Few days later you see the other sizes and colors, and a few months later, you are buying more :)

They're addictive, I tell you! I have only two right now, but when I had to ship one for trade-in, those few days with just one Reo made me twitchy... Even though I have egos, and home made mods, Vamo, cartos, clearos, etc, I felt like I don't have a backup to my main vape :)

And now all is happy. My baby is back:

IMAG0303.jpg

solace.discord

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
Southern Maine
Reos are awesome, but there's a huge fundamental problem with them. When you buy your first one, you tell yourself "this is great, the last mod I'll have to buy". Few days later you see the other sizes and colors, and a few months later, you are buying more :)

They're addictive, I tell you! I have only two right now, but when I had to ship one for trade-in, those few days with just one Reo made me twitchy... Even though I have egos, and home made mods, Vamo, cartos, clearos, etc, I felt like I don't have a backup to my main vape :)

And now all is happy. My baby is back:

View attachment 209955

I'm glad you have it back!

and I'll consider myself fortunate that I can't afford more than one! besides, I will always love my MVP- she'll made a superb back-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread