billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
I just want to be clear about my post above, and those that followed me, I'm speaking about juice that I've had on my shelf since October. This isn't anything that I've ordered new, although I'll be placing an order once the store is open again. Can you all please describe in a little more detail about what has changed for you?

mycarsifarst,

Both this and your previous post are extremely thought-provoking to me.

I reads posts over and over in the juice forums about how "juice X no longer tastes yummy like Juice X did before." Obviously, the many posters reporting this aren't just making up their disappointment. I'm sure that whatever juices they're writing about (and Bounty Hunter has repeatedly been one of those juices) do indeed taste different to them.

Is it possible that there's something we don't know that's inherent in how the brain processes flavors (and especially through vaping more so than with food consumed via eating) where the yumminess of a given flavor profile tends to diminish or be exhausted over time? Or perhaps it's not the processing of flavors, but the way memory recall works in the brain that accounts for the difference between the here-and-now taste and what is remembered?

Personally, I haven't noticed Bounty Hunter tasting different to me, but I don't really remember what it tasted like back in May 2011 when I first came to like it so much. I simply can't call up that memory, although my brain still says "Ah, Bounty Hunter!" when I vape it. That happens most with my custom 2:1 mix of regular Bounty Hunter and goodejuice Vita Bella, which is mostly how I vape BH these days. (That mix is very much like the now-discontinued Vape TV 95% VG version of BH.) When you write that Bounty Hunter suddenly tasted to you like mere "vanilla cake," I wonder if that might be the reason that I'm custom-mixing BH now with a juice that is more tobacco-rich.

As it happens, I'm the creator, head honcho, and janitor of The Big RY4 Roundup thread, which is now up to 64 RY4s and RY4-variants reviewed, ranked, and categorized since last June. And I'm very aware of how my evaluation systems have changed over time for making the rankings. In the beginning, I favored deeper-tasting, less-sparkly RY4s, and that bias was reflected in my rankings. Then for some months, caramel-rich RY4s seemed to get higher rankings from me. Now, stronger tobaccos and natural tobacco extract RY4s are taking over many of the top spots in the rankings.

To cite one example, Backwoods Brew RY4 started out the initial list ranked at #1. At the time, I had a bottle of BWB RY4 that was eight months old and nearly gone, so, a month or so after beginning the RY4 thread, I purchased a new 30ml bottle of BWB RY4, but it no longer pleased me nearly so much as my year-old bottle had. In my most recent rankings, BWB has sunk all the way down to #26 on the Big List. Hmmm.

Some of these changes are the result of my starting the thread with 20-some RY4s and now having added another 40 RY4s over seven months. All that experience of vaping more and more RY4s has helped to refine my ability to identify the RY4 flavor profile. But something more than that is going on as well, and I imagine it has to do with me and my changing palate.

I'll be very interested to hear what people have to say here in this thread about how Bounty Hunter tastes different to them now.

MikeA5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2011
Methuen, MA
Bill,
I've experienced a change in my taste or is it the liquid or maybe even the time of year (temperature, humidity etc).
I remember once over 10 yrs ago when I was working in Alaska in a small town 2 hrs east of Fairbanks the temperature was below -30 degrees F and I had filled a pipe with Dunhill Standard Mixture. While smoking it I got such a pleasure from the blend that I never was able to repeat again. I always wondered if it had to do with the cold temperature and low humidity. The same thing might be happening with the e-liquid but can't say for sure. I have some Dekang tobacco flavored eliquids that I purchased over 6 months ago (late spring early summer), when I was just starting out vaping, and I couldn't vape them because of the chemical taste I got. I'm glad I didn't throw them out because now they taste actually pretty good. Was it the steeping, did my taste buds change, the temperature and/or the humidity? I can't answer those questions. I do know though that I now enjoy the Dekang tobacco flavors that I have been steeping for over 6 months(DK-TAB, USA Mix, RY4, Bauway). It's very strange.

mycarsifarst

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Houston, Texas
Bill, Thank you for the insightful reply. I'm a fan of your RY4 thread and it has led me to some good and not-so-good juices, so thank you for creating, and most importantly maintaining that thread.

I can say for a fact that my changing tastes cannot be attributed to hardware. This is the same setup that I used on my recent two week vacation over which I exclusively vaped Bounty Hunter. I added the emphasis there because I have an inclination to believe that this is the reason why my tastes have changed. During that two week vacation, I wasn't vaping often, only 4 or 5 times a day, for very short intervals, since I was around family.

Once I returned home, I had boba's bounty and some others waiting for me. I have been vaping those almost exclusively since I've received them. I've spent all this time "learning" these juices and have constantly been conscious of what I am tasting. My brain is in the habit of focusing on flavor. This is important since I have now revisited BH, where as on my vacation, I didn't care about the taste, I just wanted my nic, and it was satisfying. satisifying in the sense that I was tricking my brain into thinking I was smoking a cig - tobacco on the brain - tobacco association with BH...(this is the first time I've been home since quitting smoking so I think that is a strong association)...

Now, My brain is focused on flavor, and I am tasting Bounty Hunter for what it really is and not asking my brain to feign analog satisfaction. I hope that this makes sense, I'm having a little trouble achieving eloquence. I think that this is the reason that I'm feeling like BH has changed to a mere vanilla cake...I don't need it to be tobacco heavy. The more I'm vaping it, I find satisfaction and I still think it's a great juice. I mean, this is the first juice I found truly satiating enough to order a 130mL jug, and I've vaped nearly 200mL's of it in the four months I've been vaping.

Xhevias

Dec 1, 2011
Oregon
Hey Mycarsifarst! I know you from a different forum. Good to see you here!

Anyway, I can't say enough to how I appreciate Bills The Big RY4 Roundup thread. I have used this almost exclusively in testing out vendor's renditions of RY4. You my friend are an inspiration! :)

Lately, I have been on a huge NiteLiteVapor kick. This stuff just rocks using the carto/tank system. The flavors, the TH, the vapor, are all just so huge! And at a great price to boot! I haven't had much of the Bounty Hunter yet, but the first time I tried it, I fell in love with this juice. I finally got a nice big order of 24mg BH in a 30ML bottle and the 120ML jug. And, the juice is on it's way now! I cannot wait! I'm also a big fan of the Renegade RY4 as well. Great juices NLV!

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
Hey Mycarsifarst! I know you from a different forum. Good to see you here!

Anyway, I can't say enough to how I appreciate Bills The Big RY4 Roundup thread. I have used this almost exclusively in testing out vendor's renditions of RY4. You my friend are an inspiration! :)

Lately, I have been on a huge NiteLiteVapor kick. This stuff just rocks using the carto/tank system. The flavors, the TH, the vapor, are all just so huge! And at a great price to boot! I haven't had much of the Bounty Hunter yet, but the first time I tried it, I fell in love with this juice. I finally got a nice big order of 24mg BH in a 30ML bottle and the 120ML jug. And, the juice is on it's way now! I cannot wait! I'm also a big fan of the Renegade RY4 as well. Great juices NLV!

I also like Renegade a lot, but Nite Lite Vapor's Vanilla Strait is my absolute favorite now. And their customer service is amazing.

rephlex

Oct 23, 2011
Maine
I am very excited about trying this juice. I have a strong feeling that it will become my all-day vape - if I can just get a hold of some. I've been checking the site religiously and also tried posting in the classies. I am just waiting for something higher than 6mg. For some reason I am not able to post in the classies... does this have to do with the total number of posts I have made?

sophie_lapin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Awesomeville, FL
Yes, if you look in the stickies, you will see the classified forum rules.
If you go ahead and order a small bottle of the 6mg, you will know whether or not you like it. If you do, then you can order a higher mg when it's available and either mix whats left of your 6mg with it, or save it for nighttime vaping.

Voltron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2011
San Juan, PR
I recently received my first order from NLV, and was pleasantly surprised by the extra bottles of Renegade, SDV2, and CC Latte included with my original order of Bounty Hunter. After testing out all flavors, it was clear to me the BH was gonna be a new addition to my juice rotation.

I think it has a nice TH and vapor production, but what really gets to me is the subtle, mellow, smooth, and sweet flavor. It tastes to me like the marshmallows in Lucky Charms cereal, which I've always liked. This juice is definitely for me, and I'm glad I found NLV.

Voltron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2011
San Juan, PR
The Sundance V2 tastes to me like a combination of fruit preserves. Kind of like the fruit sauces they put over desserts on fancy restaurants. It's a very hard flavor to pin down, I kind of get some blueberry in there but I'm not too sure.

It is a very subtle taste that unfortunately is not for me :(

DKS-1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2011
VA/NC and NLV Land
Have you tried Nite Lite Vapors RY4? If not you should check it out. I'm horrible at describing flavors but to me it kinda has a banana nut bread kinda flavor. It's very good and I usually don't like sweet flavors. I love every juice I've tried from NLV

Thank you for this statement. Because of this I tried some stuff from NLV. Now I've spent several hundred there and have mini jugs of most everything they sell. Line Rider is my favorite with Bounty Hunter and Renegade RY4 coming in next in line. I can't even smoke most other juices after smoking the NLV stuff. IMHO, they have the best stuff I've tried and everything they have is good. The Maverick is probably the only thing that I'm not that crazy about. But everything else is top notch in by book. And the prices are awesome, too. I'm waiting on a $170 order to come in right now, lol

Optimo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2011
Virginia
To me the new Bounty Hunter taste is nothing like the old flavor...it's a whole different juice imho. No where near as sweet and the cake batter/captain crunch flavor it had before is non existent. It's vapeable but not going to be a re-order. The Line Rider and Renegade Ry4 on the other hand is delicious and will always be in with my all day vapes. Hope they don't change thoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread